The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
addylad
Instead of BS, how about English Lit or History? :smile:

I wasn't wanting to take English Lit or History because I found sciences hard so I thought I should pick less demanding subjects.. would English Language be okay?
elfpixie
I wasn't wanting to take English Lit or History because I found sciences hard so I thought I should pick less demanding subjects.. would English Language be okay?

its slightly less well regarded, not a bad a level, but literature is generally considered more reputable and seeing as it is medicine i dont think it would be worth the risk with such competition
Reply 82
james_dow
its slightly less well regarded, not a bad a level, but literature is generally considered more reputable and seeing as it is medicine i dont think it would be worth the risk with such competition

Alright :smile: I think I could look into English Lit..
do you reckon psychology is still okay though?
You would only need to do physics or maths if you want to go to Cambridge.

Business Studies is maybe seen as a bit of a soft option. Could you do a language, English Lit, or history instead? (
Reply 84
do the maths. you will have to grasp it either way if you intend to study medicine. it will also be great for the quantitative part of chemistry. and if you change your mind about the degree, maths is always helpful. and if you put enough effort, it is one of the easier subjects to study :smile:
Reply 85
Psychology is seen as a science in most universities so yes I don't see that as being a problem.
Reply 86
ah, and i would drop both psych and bs and just focus on chem, biol and maths :smile:
elfpixie
Alright :smile: I think I could look into English Lit..
do you reckon psychology is still okay though?

yes but change business studies.
Reply 88
I think Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Eng lit. would be nice combination. Definitely think hard about changing the Eng lit. for Maths or Physics. You could always do the maths or physics and then drop it if you find it too hard and take up the eng.
elfpixie
I know many people choose physics and maths as their last two.. but I have alot of difficulty with them. I'm also aware that they're not necesarry for alot of Medicine degrees..

No BS. Do Maths. You really would need a basic level of mathematical undestanding to do medicine. Well, I hope so as I wouldn't like to have you as a doctor.
People telling her to do maths or physics: there is no need unless she wants to apply to Cambridge (where 3 sciences are required).
Reply 91
Maths AS is fairly easy going compared to the sciences (to me anyway) and I have a lot of friends wanting to go into medicine who do maths because they've been advised to. It's the definite choice IMO.
Reply 92
Jonty99
People telling her to do maths: there is no need unless she wants to apply to Cambridge.

No. It's essential if you don't have it or another science for Cambridge, but it is looked down upon if you don't have it at most other top unis.
Ben77mc
No. It's essential if you don't have it or another science for Cambridge, but it is looked down upon if you don't have it at most other top unis.

3 sciences (maths count as science) are essential for Cambridge. You're just guessing not having maths is looked down upon for other universities (obviously, nobody can tell for certain. But if a university doesn't ask for it, we should probably assume they don't care one way or the other).
Reply 94
Jonty99
3 sciences (maths count as science) are essential for Cambridge. You're just guessing not having maths is looked down upon for other universities.

or a third science at least to AS
Reply 95
I'm not considering cambridge at all, It'd most likely be Leeds.

these are their entry requirements:
Normally 3 A levels at AAB including Chemistry. Applicants are required to offer a very high standard of achievement in at least three subjects at A2 level. General Studeis not accepted.
Apart from chemistry at A2 there is no restriction on the acceptable A2 or AS examination subjects (other than General Studies), provided that they have a sufficient academic base. Where mathematics and biology, or Dual Science are not offered, a B pass or higher in these subjects or equivalent must have been obtained at GCSE level.
Reply 96
elfpixie

OP, it might help if you give us an idea of what kind of unis you're thinking of. Obviously medicine is competitive everywhere, but were you thinking Oxbridge?

EDIT: Okay, you just did. :smile:
Reply 97
Switch BS for maths, seriously AS level maths is extremely useful if you want to grasp some of the trickier parts of chemistry and medicine. You'll practically cover everything you'd need.
Reply 98
elfpixie
I'm not considering cambridge at all, It'd most likely be Leeds.

these are their entry requirements:
Normally 3 A levels at AAB including Chemistry. Applicants are required to offer a very high standard of achievement in at least three subjects at A2 level. General Studeis not accepted.
Apart from chemistry at A2 there is no restriction on the acceptable A2 or AS examination subjects (other than General Studies), provided that they have a sufficient academic base. Where mathematics and biology, or Dual Science are not offered, a B pass or higher in these subjects or equivalent must have been obtained at GCSE level.

This is a hint to pick traditional academic subjects. As others have advised, I'd change Business Studies - Eng Lit or History would be good.
Reply 99
Ben77mc
or a third science at least to AS

only SOME college's in cambridge require three sciences at A-level, you should check thier website for which ever college you wish to apply to. Also for the MAJORITY of med schools out there maths and physics is not a requirement. Just becase majority of med applicants take these subjects does not mean that it is a requirement to study medicine.

why dont you go post on the med forum if you would like more info? or check med schools admissions website?

btw- I would advice you take maths becasue if medicine does not work out for you it will allow you to have more options to choose from in terms of choosing a degree.

Latest