The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes.
I think so, yes.
Yes
Reply 4
I think its worth more, because my dad has a PHD and in America he is classified as a Professor. So, I think English degrees are possibly more highly regarded in the US than their own (possibly anyway).
Reply 5
Most of them will be, but degrees that lead to jobs (Law, Medicine etc.) might not be. Regarding Professors, in the US that just means someone who teaches at a university, whereas in the UK it's a specific (and quite senior) position. Check the law school's website.
Reply 6
elldee
I think its worth more, because my dad has a PHD and in America he is classified as a Professor. So, I think English degrees are possibly more highly regarded in the US than their own (possibly anyway).

I think basically, what we would call a Doctor (PhD) they call a Professor. Whereas here Professors are typically heads of a department.
Reply 7
Zedd
I think basically, what we would call a Doctor (PhD) they call a Professor. Whereas here Professors are typically heads of a department.

Not true. A person holding a doctorate is a doctor in both countries. In America professor refers to a teacher in an academic institution, from high school to university.
Should be fine once you convert into dollars.
Reply 9
dbmag9
Most of them will be, but degrees that lead to jobs (Law, Medicine etc.) might not be. Regarding Professors, in the US that just means someone who teaches at a university, whereas in the UK it's a specific (and quite senior) position. Check the law school's website.

i have but im not getting much information, but it's only a psychology degree im doing over here and ill be doing law over there will it be ok?
Reply 10
Blátönn
A person holding a doctorate is a doctor in both countries. In America professor refers to a teacher in an academic institution, from high school to university.

Not exactly. People will doctorates are usually called Dr. X. This is particularly true if a high school teacher has a PhD.

At the college level, there are several different ranks, all requiring a PhD.

(Full) Professor - tenured, often an endowed chair (similar to Professor in the UK)
Associate Professor - has taught for a while, sometimes/often tenured (similar to Reader in the UK)
Assistant Professor - entry tenure-track position (similar to Lecturer in the UK)
Instructor/Lecturer - short term positions, not tenured
Reply 11
Zedd

Like I said I'm not sure how it works.
Reply 12
thanks for the help everyone!

Latest

Trending

Trending