The Student Room Group

Next summer sale?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ah excellent thanks.

I hope the sale is not too punishing
Reply 21
kidmuscle
Can I expect £4.94 for the hours that I am doing or will I most likely get more?

I've done the Next Sale twice now, July last year then the Christmas one last year too. Looking at my payslip right in front of me, my hourly wage never changed (I was 16 for the July one, 17 for the Christmas one) and it was £4.65 per hour, which is pretty good for my age! Having just got a job at Sports Direct (as long as the store manager rings me up to tell me my shifts grr) I'm on minimum wage which for a 17 year old is £3.53 which is a total peeetake.

Next haven't rung me up (yet), but all I can say is that 5am shift is VERY hectic: at my store, there was a queue going right around the retail park for say a quarter of a mile, and people were actually fighting over stupid stuff like a cushion! (I was on the Home department) Be prepared to be asked by customers things that you don't have a clue about, just go to your supervisor if you don't know or blag your way through :P Anything after 11am is very very very tedious, I did 5 hours in the afternoon and it was boring as hell!
I worked for next last night and today for the sale.

I had an induction day last week, and about 12 people were there. Last night, there must have been at least 40.

Anyway last night, 7pm-10pm. Wasn't too bad. I just had to sticker everything up, rearrange shelves etc. It was so indimidating though for me. People were 25+, and i'm 16 and look really young. The bad thing was, that i finished everything quickly. There was nothing more to be done, so i just stood around looking like a right lazy sod.

I was in the Home department (thank god. Clothing was hectic).

Today, 5.30am-9.30am was rubbish. I went in, pretty packed, straight to the staff room. There was a rail full of Next Sale shirts which i had to put on. I had to go in a dark room to get changed. Anyway, i just looked so inexperienced. I always had to ask 'what shall i do?'. So, i had to pick up any loose clothing, IN THE HOME DEPT, and take it downstairs and put it where it should be.I did not have a clue where snything went, so i just waited until no other staff was around and shoved it anywhere. So i'd finished that.Boring as hell. So i just picked up bubblewrap from the store room and took it to the skip to kill some time. Then at the end (9am), i was a till helper. Basically i filled up bags of peoples crap whilst the other person sorted out payments etc. I enjoyed that part. It was quite fun!

Yeah so thats it. Quite easy but nothing to do and boring as hell.
You're quite lucky if everything got sorted quickly at your store, people in my store didn't leave til almost midnight and there were still things that needed to be done this morning before we opened. I'm surprised you had nothing to do, we had lots of people in but we were still understaffed! I guess I'm lucky because today for me was quite fun :smile: but this was my 4th end of season sale, and the floor I work on is always mayhem so we just go with the flow and laugh if anything happens that shouldn't!
Reply 24
Yeah the sale in my area was pretty fine. But I have done the shifts they gave me.

I looked at the board in the next staff room and saw that temps will be paid £5.47 :biggrin:
Yeah I've got a job as a temp. I found it easy to get because my brother works there. So having family/friends work there means you get the job almost straight away.
Reply 26
Original post by Tom Wigan
I worked for next last night and today for the sale.

I had an induction day last week, and about 12 people were there. Last night, there must have been at least 40.

Anyway last night, 7pm-10pm. Wasn't too bad. I just had to sticker everything up, rearrange shelves etc. It was so indimidating though for me. People were 25+, and i'm 16 and look really young. The bad thing was, that i finished everything quickly. There was nothing more to be done, so i just stood around looking like a right lazy sod.

I was in the Home department (thank god. Clothing was hectic).

Today, 5.30am-9.30am was rubbish. I went in, pretty packed, straight to the staff room. There was a rail full of Next Sale shirts which i had to put on. I had to go in a dark room to get changed. Anyway, i just looked so inexperienced. I always had to ask 'what shall i do?'. So, i had to pick up any loose clothing, IN THE HOME DEPT, and take it downstairs and put it where it should be.I did not have a clue where snything went, so i just waited until no other staff was around and shoved it anywhere. So i'd finished that.Boring as hell. So i just picked up bubblewrap from the store room and took it to the skip to kill some time. Then at the end (9am), i was a till helper. Basically i filled up bags of peoples crap whilst the other person sorted out payments etc. I enjoyed that part. It was quite fun!

Yeah so thats it. Quite easy but nothing to do and boring as hell.

Going to re-start this thread :biggrin:

For the sale on Saturday i have just been put down to work 11am-3pm as i walked past a sign advertising for just the one day.

I am 16. How much will i get paid ?? Also when will they pay me if i only work for them for a day?>

I have my induction tomorrow, any idea how long that will take?
Thanks!
Reply 27
Original post by TheHaylio

For the sale on Saturday i have just been put down to work 11am-3pm as i walked past a sign advertising for just the one day.

I am 16. How much will i get paid ?? Also when will they pay me if i only work for them for a day?>

Thanks!

For which store?
Reply 28
One in Guildford i think! I suppose thats if i pass my induction!

Thanks!

It's been a while! From what I can remember, you just watch a safety video and go through payment details in he induction. I think it was just under a fiver an hour.

Thanks!

Try working 7pm til 11pm last night then 4.45am to 12.45pm today :'( I think I'm dead. Stupid sale. You'll probably get 5.93 an hour
Reply 31
im working in the summer sale this year, got a letter from next today and telling me how much i have earned in the last week (only 1.5 hrs for the induction)

however i need to pay tax, earning 9.40 and i get done on tax 1.80, i thought i didnt need to pay tax, does anyone have the same problem?
Reply 32
Original post by rachel hw
im working in the summer sale this year, got a letter from next today and telling me how much i have earned in the last week (only 1.5 hrs for the induction)

however i need to pay tax, earning 9.40 and i get done on tax 1.80, i thought i didnt need to pay tax, does anyone have the same problem?

you shouldnt be taxed unless you earn about over 100 a week, and you arent in full time education. you can always claim it back :smile:
Reply 33
i was surprised i got done on tax, do u know how i could claim it back, thanks for your info.
Reply 34
Original post by rachel hw

you got paid for the induction?! i don't think i did :frown:

today, i only did 4 hours but i'm so tired simply because i was so bored alot of the time!
Reply 35
i did 4 hours this morning, working on the till, was pretty busy.
I got a letter from the post today and its from next, did you get one? you should get paid for the induction and the training.
Reply 36
I have my induction for a permanent 4 hour contract tomorrow, im meant to work Saturdays 4-8 but as the sale is coming up will i be asked to work extra hours or will only the temporary staff be asked to come in? thanks.
Reply 37
So I went for a Summer Sale role for Next which was temp (2days to 2weeks) and was trained for two hours and went in the next week the evening before the sale and that was it. I.e my training was nearly as long as me working there. I wish I was made aware of this or told straight up. Everyone was nice though and was helpful and would love to work at this store but it seemed like a bit of a joke... Disappointed in lack of communication but couldn't fault the staff at all.
Reply 38
Original post by TwistedL
So I went for a Summer Sale role for Next which was temp (2days to 2weeks) and was trained for two hours and went in the next week the evening before the sale and that was it. I.e my training was nearly as long as me working there. I wish I was made aware of this or told straight up. Everyone was nice though and was helpful and would love to work at this store but it seemed like a bit of a joke... Disappointed in lack of communication but couldn't fault the staff at all.

same! only that the manager gave me another shift to work during the sale.
i was wondering have u got paid yet and if not when are you meant to get paid plz?, because i havent received my money yet and my next login is not working so i cant see how much im owed and when im meant to be paid! also i didnt attend the induction so thats why im a bit clueless...
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending