The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
studyboy1992
i thought it was just teaching fees which i know are roughly about £4000 per year is there anything else you need to pay on top if so how much?

thanks to anyone that answers

teaching fee's are normally £3225 or some digit of that sort.

then you have accomidation costs idf you live in halls which can be anything from high £2000 to £4000 - in sept mine is £3685

then need money to live off etc.... so its expensive. But some people get a grant from the goverment of upto £1400 depending on your familys income. which can help. i dont though :frown:
Reply 2
I think tuition fees are like £3200 per year........then you need to think about books and various equipment ya need.......then you need to think about your accomodation where your living, if at home you payng board? or not........then if ou live away fromh oem you think food, nightlife, menberships and genral boredom stoppers! lol can be very costly!
Reply 3
I dont know about the fee's now but when i was in york i lived on about:
Accom: 280 pm
Food: 30pw
Nights out: 30-50pw
House Bills: 30pm
Mobile : 10pm

Then things that you have to pay once such as sports club fees etc.

Ive prob missed something but im sure someone else will add :smile:
Reply 4
Havers

then you have accomidation costs idf you live in halls which can be anything from high £2000 to £4000 - in sept mine is £3685

then need money to live off etc.... so its expensive. But some people get a grant from the goverment of upto £1400 depending on your familys income. which can help. i dont though :frown:

Greg1004

I think tuition fees are like £3200 per year........then you need to think about books and various equipment ya need.......then you need to think about your accomodation where your living, if at home you payng board? or not........then if ou live away fromh oem you think food, nightlife, menberships and genral boredom stoppers! lol can be very costly!

but surely getting a part time job working like 3 days a week would cover it right?
On top of that add accommodation costs if you will be moving out of home or having to pay rent (Have the figure of £4000 in mind, it shouldnt go too much over that for decent accommodation no matter where you study, but could be alot less)

Also, allocate yourself around £50-£60 per week to live on whilst at university (could be alot more depending on your spending habits), so over 39 weeks say £2500 min per year, not including non term time.

Aim for £7000 a year inc accommodation and you should be fine.
Reply 6
Syncman
I dont know about the fee's now but when i was in york i lived on about:
Accom: 280 pm
Food: 30pw
Nights out: 30-50pw
House Bills: 30pm
Mobile : 10pm

Then things that you have to pay once such as sports club fees etc.

Ive prob missed something but im sure someone else will add :smile:

i wanna join a gym as well would you pay that monthly, yearly of you just pay once and thats in, im thinking of applying to york as well :smile:
Reply 7
Overall I think it costs about 10k a year, give or take 2k.
Reply 8
studyboy1992
but surely getting a part time job working like 3 days a week would cover it right?

highly unlikely mate. food a week will be like £30..then nights out. then clothes and then other costs like travel costs etc. but you get a loan which you dont start paying off till you leave uni and are in a job where you earn over £15,000 and even then they only take a small amount out of your wage so you hardly 'feel it' if that makes sence.
Reply 9
fees = 3.2k
accomo = 3k
food = 1.5k

= £7700

excluding anything extra you want to buy, ie. running a car etc...
Reply 10
Tuition Fees: £3224.
Then accommodation can vary from £0 (living at home) to £4000+
Then there is food, travel, nights out, books, clothes, extra bills (e.g. phone), drink, toiletries, gifts and anything else you can think of.
Reply 11
studyboy1992
i wanna join a gym as well would you pay that monthly, yearly of you just pay once and thats in, im thinking of applying to york as well :smile:

Well good luck, i loved my time at york. First year i paid for the gym every month and found it harder to budget. I paid for my gym membership all in one go for last year. Then i didnt notice it going every month. But i was a member of the David Lloyd which was a really nice gym (managed to barter them down to 42pm as i was paying for the year but its usually 52pm). The uni gym i think is around 40 for 3 months.
Reply 12
studyboy1992

i doubt it!! generally you take out a student lon to cover tutition fees which you can find out about on most university or government websites. this then means you just pay cost f living!!

Also look on goverment websites at maintenance grants these are to support those moving way from home and in my brothers case covered his accomodation costs!! this then meant that yes his part time job covered food, drink etc thorughout uni!!
Reply 13
Greg1004
i doubt it!! generally you take out a student lon to cover tutition fees which you can find out about on most university or government websites. this then means you just pay cost f living!!

Also look on goverment websites at maintenance grants these are to support those moving way from home and in my brothers case covered his accomodation costs!! this then meant that yes his part time job covered food, drink etc thorughout uni!!

im really confused you see as when i finish my degree over here i wanna go straight over to do my post grad over there, any ideas how i would afford it?
I'm scottish going to uni in glasgow so I get my fees paid for me, but my budget for this year is somewhere around £8000 all told...
Havers

I get that :biggrin: It will help a lot!
Reply 16
studyboy1992
im really confused you see as when i finish my degree over here i wanna go straight over to do my post grad over there, any ideas how i would afford it?

i dont really have a clue! im only 17 myself im just going off my brothers experience!! hmm however like someone up a bit said you dotn reapy your student loan (tuition fees) until your earning over 15k a year. so with that in mind as long as you can afford month to month outgoings through undergraduate degree. you should be able to carry on the same way through postgrad..working enough to cover outgoings!! then once youve finsihed ostgrad getting a job which then allows you to pay back your tuition fees!
Reply 17
thanks for the answers everyone!
Ditto, Scot at Scot Uni so have tuition fees paid, and about 10k per year for everything else (though accom came in at £4200!) Might get another £8000 if I win a bursary from my Dad's work though.
Reply 19
sil3nt_cha0s
I get that :biggrin: It will help a lot!

i hate you :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending