The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

depends on how you drive, how fuel efficient your car is and how much petrol is...
I generally can get from home to uni on £7-8 petrol with similar engine, and that's approx 60 miles. However does depends how fast your driving, what gear, traffic (all the stopping and starting), and your driving style generally (aggressive on the accelerator etc). Well done for passing and nice first car!
Reply 3
francesca_20
I generally can get from home to uni on £7-8 petrol with similar engine, and that's approx 60 miles. However does depends how fast your driving, what gear, traffic (all the stopping and starting), and your driving style generally (aggressive on the accelerator etc). Well done for passing and nice first car!

Thanks! And I'm not too sure really, does revving use a lot of petrol and stuff? I hope I don't do that!
Reply 4
£10 fuel = ~10 litres

10 litres = ~2.2 gallons

Say the Golf does around 30 miles per gallon.

So, around 65 miles...give or take.
Not sure of the technicalities, but believe that the higher revs, the more petrol you are burning. So you want to try and maintain low revs (1500-2500) and drive smoothly (not a lot of acceleration and deceleration and avoid heavy breaking). Seeing as you're a new to driving, I'm sure you haven't got into any horrible habits yet and are a much more efficient driver than most of us!

Respect to the person above me for doing the maths!
Just over 60 miles.
I think that'd do about 80 miles in my mum's Honda Jazz. Not that that helps you, but whatever.
Reply 8
I get 90 miles on my Harley with around 8 quid topped up. She does around 30-40 miles to the gallon. Tank has 3 gallons in her. I've yet to run her completely down, though. That's a bike, though, couldn't tell you bout a car.
Reply 9
Iv done 100miles on £12 back when I used to go from home to uni .. in a 1.6L
Depending on what spec and mark your car is, there maybe a trip computer which shows you MPG and as Sync said 10 litres = approx 2.2 gallons - so just double the shown MPG to see how many miles your going to get.

Also, to get an accurate picture of it, reset the meter. Golfs usually have a button near the speedometer which has '0,0' on it. You may have to hold it. The trip meter will reset to 0.00 and the MPG reading should go blank to '-----'. Do this straight after filling up and drive as you normally would. Check the mpg reading after about 10 miles. MPG varies on different road types due to the way you have to drive.
Reply 11
Depends on how you drive (i.e how much you can tame your right leg) and on what sort of roads. city / motorway etc...
in general witha normal carsomewhere between 50 and 100 miles depending on your driving style, the roads you are on and the general state of the vehicle.

in JCs MGB down the shops and back ...
Reply 13
a 50 mile difference is a lot of points when playing petrol station roulette.
Reply 14
zippyRN
in general witha normal carsomewhere between 50 and 100 miles depending on your driving style, the roads you are on and the general state of the vehicle.

in JCs MGB down the shops and back ...

LOL! it's not THAT bad! I could probably get 40 miles on a tenner burbling around locally. She does get 30.9mpg on a high speed run (i took the trouble to check a couple of weeks back) :smile:
Although I did "max it out" out of morbid curiousity for a couple of miles on the M54 so that figure is obviously *slightly* corrupted. :o:

My old MGB V8 would probably get about 12 miles on a tenner, so er... it wouldn't even make it back from the shops, mate! :cool: :biggrin:
Reply 15
I can do 180 on the bike. :/
Reply 16
Sync
£10 fuel = ~10 litres

10 litres = ~2.2 gallons

Say the Golf does around 30 miles per gallon.

So, around 65 miles...give or take.

proberly around what sync said but it might do more or less depends
Reply 17
i can fill up the smart car for £20 and it'll do just under 300 miles :gthumb:
lol, this is depressing me, i passed my test on wednesday and my car is just raping my petrol tank, id just about get 20 miles out of that! :frown:
Reply 19
20 miles on a tenner??

Latest