The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Vamp1reWeekend
Heyyy,
I'm having trouble gaining any work experience, I've asked in major pharmacies like Boots aswell as others but all have declined.

Is it essential to have work experience to get an offer for pharmacy? Has anyone got in without having any?

If possible, go into independent pharmacies, as the pharmacists there tend to be the owners or else are more sympathetic to you as everyone has to start getting experience somewhere, just walk in, dressed nicely, and confidently ask to speak to someone about work experience. :smile: Even if you just get one weekend out of it it still looks good, but dont expect to be working with the pills and perscriptions all the time, you will probably be expected to stack shelves and serve customers, but patient interaction is vital in the role of a pharmacist so its good experience. Also, if you are still at school ask your careers advisor about experience in hospital pharmacies, im not sure, but there is a pharmacy company that sponsers you to go in for a day and to rotate around all the jobs in northern ireland anyway. If all else fails, volunteer to help at a nursing home at the weekends or something, it will show you care about people, also generally they are given quite a few drugs to keep them in good health, so you could ask the nurses about them and do some background reading on the drugs themselves afterwards. Personally i think a little experience helps, but obviously in the current climate some retailers will be more dubious as to taking on people for work experience, if you cant get any then write in your personal statement about any journals or papers you have read for new drugs on trials, adn generally read up around the subject. There will be other people in your situation dont worry :smile: Hope this helps
Reply 2
Vamp1reWeekend
Heyyy,
I'm having trouble gaining any work experience, I've asked in major pharmacies like Boots aswell as others but all have declined.

Is it essential to have work experience to get an offer for pharmacy? Has anyone got in without having any?

I've had the same problem, 4 rejections, which is very annoying since they aren't even going to pay you. I give up.
Reply 3
Vamp1reWeekend
Heyyy,

I wouldnt worry TOO much about work experience, although obviously it would be helpful, try getting any work experience with people like working at a care home etc as it shows you're interested in helping people.

It's not the end of the world if you dont get any work experience I got a place at bath with no work experience and an unrelated personal statement (applied through extra) so it's obviously not the most important thing for them.
Thanks guys, i feel a lot more confident now!

I think I'm gunna apply to Bath too so that's good :P
Reply 5
I didnt do any work experience :biggrin:
Maestor
I didnt do any work experience :biggrin:

Where did you get offers from :biggrin:?
It seems not many people get work experience, I'm not sure why i thought everyone did!
h-star
I've had the same problem, 4 rejections, which is very annoying since they aren't even going to pay you. I give up.

I think i give up too... It's hopeless I'll just have to do some other stuff ;s

Latest