The Student Room Group
Reply 2
Basically... for Intel, Core 2 duo > Pentium Dual-core and all others.
Processor model numbers beginning with 'T' consume around 35W of power and are starting to get a little old(ish). Some are 65nm processes and a few are 45nm (smaller = better).
Processor model numbers beginning with 'P' are all 45nm and consume only 25W of power (better battery life).
Oh and models that begin with 'SP', or 'SU' or 'SL' you might have to inquire about further.

As for the numbers following the letter, the higher the better (so T8100 > T6400), bar a few examples. Like T6400, T6500 and T6600 are better than T7xxx ones (and all the T5xxx ones of course). - That is probably wrong after looking at benchmarks... but I still say that the T6x00 ones are better with heat.

Might not be 100% correct but its not totally wrong and it won't have that much bearing if there are mistakes.
Reply 3
Mcuh appreciated! Thanks.
Here's a good list, it has all the released mobile CPUs, and a few benchmarks for each one.
Just click on 'show only mobile CPUs' or whatever then restrict, then you can sort by any benchmark results, or leave it default which is pretty much in performance order.
It also shows things like power usage of each one etc.
:smile:
Reply 5
White Zenith

Ditto, that's the best benchmark list on the web. For people saying that the Pentium dual cores aren't as good as Core 2 Duo, you don't have a clue what you're on about. The new Pentium dual cores are rebranded Core 2 Duos, with halved caches. For example:

Pentium T3200 = Core 2 Duo 5750
Pentium T3400 = Core 2 Duo 5850
Pentium T4200 = Core 2 Duo 5870

The halved cache does not affect performance greatly.
Reply 6
lnjames
Ditto, that's the best benchmark list on the web. For people saying that the Pentium dual cores aren't as good as Core 2 Duo, you don't have a clue what you're on about. The new Pentium dual cores are rebranded Core 2 Duos, with halved caches. For example:

Pentium T3200 = Core 2 Duo 5750
Pentium T3400 = Core 2 Duo 5850
Pentium T4200 = Core 2 Duo 5870

The halved cache does not affect performance greatly.

Lol, yes but generally Core 2 Duo is better than Pentium dual-core. It's not like if he buys a laptop with a T5750 its going to be soooo much worse than a T3200... It's just a general rule of thumb, in-case he gets confused.
And, no I don't have a clue what I'm on about, but that doesn't stop me from giving good false advice does it?

EDIT: Ok I think I did mislead the OP a little with the Pentium Dualcore business... What I was meant to say in my earlier post was that Core 2 Duo is the best you can get at the moment and Pentium Dual-Core is simply a slightly castrated Core 2 Duo. And core 2 duo beats out all the other Intel processors.
Reply 7
Fixesin
EDIT: Ok I think I did mislead the OP a little with the Pentium Dualcore business... What I was meant to say in my earlier post was that Core 2 Duo is the best you can get at the moment and Pentium Dual-Core is simply a slightly castrated Core 2 Duo. And core 2 duo beats out all the other Intel processors.

I understand what you mean, it's just annoying that the Core 2 Duo brand covers a ton of processors. As a general rule though, from best to worst processor series:

C2X QX9000
C2X X9000
C2Q Q9000
C2D P9000
/T9000
C2D P8000
/T9000
C2D P7000
/T7000
C2D T6000
C2D High T5000
/Pentium T3000 & T4000/Turion Ultra ZM series
C2D Low T5000/Pentium T2000/Athlon QL series
Celeron T1000/Turion TL & RM series

Below that is a bit pointless unless you're getting a netbook.
I thought the title said "Professors", so was just about to point out how this was in the wrong forum. Silly me.
Reply 9
Regarding the P-series of intel procs, and their 10W less advertised power assumption.. unless you can get a good deal on them, in my opinion, they aren't worth the price. A T and P series clocked at the same speed give similar performance, except the P-series might run for an extra 10-20 min (haven't seen a test on this though, so I'm dubious about intel's claims), which isn't really all that important for my purposes. Lower power consumption doesn't necessarily mean the chip will have a lower temp either (dependin on revision). Although i think the P-series has slightly higher FSB support, I don't find that increase too helpful on a laptop anyway... T-series is always a lot cheaper too.

I know I didn't answer the thread question but I think that's been answered already.. just thought I'd give some more info.

Edit* If anybody wants to send me a P8700 (non-ES) sample I'd be glad to test power consumption with my T9400 (C0) rev against the P8700 in the same lappy!

Latest