The Student Room Group

Setting up a website...

Right, I have bought a website domain but now I'm not sure what to do next. I have absolutely no idea about web design or anything so need a simple website builder with modern templates. Any suggestions??

Thanks!
Reply 1
you can try joomla, it's pretty easy to set up :smile:
http://www.joomla.org/download.html

EDIT: But what do you want to do with your site? If you want a blog, I'll recommend wordpress
you need hosting first.
Reply 3
Lollipoppers
Right, I have bought a website domain but now I'm not sure what to do next. I have absolutely no idea about web design or anything so need a simple website builder with modern templates. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

You can try something like WordPress....or Dreamweaver.....
Lollipoppers

Thanks!

Hey.
Firstly, what are you looking at using the site for?
There are a number of free Content Management Systems (CMS) available, but what you plan to use your site for will preference some over others.

Also, do you have hosting?
If not, I find that freehostia offers a good service, and their free plan should cover your basic needs.

As for a simple site-builder, i use a CMS called WebsiteBaker which I quite like, and if signing up for freehostia, you can have it automatically installed onto the account, to save you the trouble of having to upload all the files and install it manually.
There are numerous templates already existing for WebsiteBaker, or if you find a template elsewhere that you like the look of, it can most likely be converted to work with WebsiteBaker's system [I can help here if you want, as you say you have no experience of page-building!]

I much prefer WebsiteBaker to Joomla, as Joomla seems to be overloaded with functions

To give a more professional look, you'd want to change your DNS to point towards Freehostia nameservers, rather than having it redirect to yourname.freehostia.com

--
Feel free to PM me, or send a message on MSN (address in profile) if you'd like more help with whatever; I'm more than happy to help where I can
Reply 5
Hey you won't be able to create your site in Joomla as for that you need to have an in depth knowledge. You should try the website builders like www.Webstarttoday.com and anyone without any technical knowledge can create website easily. You can select from 100s of beautiful designs and make it LIVE immediately.
Reply 6
You should try the free site builders like Weebly.com or webstarttoday.com

Quick Reply