The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

40k is good.
Well at this point in my life (at university) I don't really have a ceiling that I'm aiming for. As they say, the sky's the limit, and I very much live by that philosophy when I haven't even started in my career.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 22
no, i will cry if I never hit above 200k x
Reply 23
It's alright. Nothing amazing, but not too shabby. I'd hope to be on that within five to ten years after graduating. Once you're married, though, and have children, and want to send them to school (independent, no-less) and university, and have a holiday home, and so on, then you will struggle.
Reply 24
Yes, very much so! £40k is really good! Obviously I'd love to earn as much as possible but £40k is a LOT of money and I'd be very happy with it.
I would be over the moon with that! Seeing that my household income has been just over £9,000 for years. So yes please :smile:
It depends on the person, what your expectations are. For me £40k would be amazing! I don't have the best degree and don't know where to start but most jobs I have in mind probably won't get me onto £30k for a long time :frown:
Good lord, all you people who seem to think 40K isn't worth getting out of bed for are in for a real shock when you enter the real world.
Reply 28
its a salary you want to achieve 4-6years after graduating

...i think
Yes, definitely would. In the kind of job I'll be doing once I graduate (Social Work) I won't be able to earn anything above 40k until I have some sort of managing role. I'm thinking I'll need at least 5-10 years experience to achieve this.

40 to 50k would be ideal. :yes:
Reply 30
Although I'd rather work for myself, 40k is more than decent (depending on where you live and circumstances, obviously.)

Anymore than what you really need is greed.
BrinnyUnlimited
Good lord, all you people who seem to think 40K isn't worth getting out of bed for are in for a real shock when you enter the real world.

No one's said even close to that, have they?

It's true that if you have a family with 2 or 3 kids living in London, £40k isn't going to leave tons spare for fun. A mortgage on a four or even three bedroom house will eat up a pretty big chunk of that, and with a big mortgage comes big risk - you'll need to put away some of that remainder to save with in case you ever lost your job and somehow have to raise £2k a month just to pay off the mortgage. For a single person it's plenty, but since the OP didn't specify a context, it's crazy to just unswervingly say "It's fantastic! Get real you idiots!"
Reply 32
40k starting salary would be amazing, way above my expectations. I'd be happy getting that kind of salary after 5-10 years experience. Ideally at the peak of my career and beyond i'd like to earn in the region of 50k, but considering how much income tax you have to pay, perhaps a bit more than that.

I'm surprised that a lot of people consider this an "ok" income but nothing special; and i thought i was overly ambitious. Assuming your partner also works, you would have a combined income of at least 50k which is a pretty decent income to raise a family on.
Most people on here are intolerably naive
Plenty if you ask me.
ToastyCoke
Most people on here are intolerably naive

please tell me that's not your car
Reply 36
completely relative to my circumstances. if i was on my own in relatively low income neighbourhood then i'd be doing very well. If i was somewhere like chilworth with multimillion pound houses and i had 8 kids to feed, then i would not be doing very well.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
please tell me that's not your car

I won't tell you anything.
Reply 38
40k a year!? That's definitely more than enough!!

If I left college with my course (level 3) once graduated, i'd be aiming at around 12k-14k working at a childcare nursery.
Ive noticed a bit of a trend from the responses tp this thread, why is it that the female folk are happy/very happy to accept this sort of salary with little or no qualms yet the males tend to think its good but frankly not amazing?
I would have thought before seeing this thread that there would be little variation because TSR is populated by high academic achievers of both genders

Latest