The Student Room Group

The Contraceptive Thread - information and questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2680
Anonymous
I know it's a silly question, and by asking it, maybe I should consider another method of contraception..

But can you chew the pill? Can it dissolve in your mouth and work effectively? I just can't swallow pills... mind-block.

You really shouldn't chew pills unless directed, full stop. They are designed to dissolve and release the active ingredients in them, in the desired location of the body (i.e stomach/intestines). If you chew the pill, chances are a lot will be absorbed in your mouth, and perhaps not have as great an effect (the intestine has a larger surface area, therefore will absorb much more effectively). Also, the acidic pH of the stomach can destroy some chemicals in pills, another reason why they aren't released until the pill reaches the intestines. It probably doesn't matter so much if you chew paracetamol, because you don't need to absorb the full 500mg or so from the whole pill to acheive the desired effect, however with the contraceptive pill, you don't want to risk getting pregnant because you can't swallow tablets.

The pill really is tiny, with a glass of water it won't feel like you're swallowing anything. Failing that, chew up a biscuit or something, and just before you swallow it, pop the pill in your mouth and swallow it down with the biscuit.
hannahradford
Go to you parents' surgery, or ther surgery you were with before you changed your GP to one in Manchester and register as a temporary resident.

The problem there is that old surgery/parents surgery is 2 hours away!
Can I register as a temp resident with a brand new surgery, ie the one in the village?
Reply 2682
bella127
The problem there is that old surgery/parents surgery is 2 hours away!
Can I register as a temp resident with a brand new surgery, ie the one in the village?

I'm sure you can, it's just generally better to do so at a surgery you've been to before, because they will have some of your medical records there. When you register as a temp resident, they ask for the address of the GPs surgery that they should send the medical records (of your consultations at that surgery). So I don't see why you couldn't register at your local surgery. Your best bet is to phone them, explain you want to register as a temp resident and then ask for an appointment, you can fill out the form when you arrive for your appointment - it literally takes about 5mins to fill out.
hannahradford
I'm sure you can, it's just generally better to do so at a surgery you've been to before, because they will have some of your medical records there. When you register as a temp resident, they ask for the address of the GPs surgery that they should send the medical records (of your consultations at that surgery). So I don't see why you couldn't register at your local surgery. Your best bet is to phone them, explain you want to register as a temp resident and then ask for an appointment, you can fill out the form when you arrive for your appointment - it literally takes about 5mins to fill out.

Thanks for that one! Will pop down there on my way past today :smile:
I had the depo injection, but rather than getting another one after 11/12 weeks I decided not to get it again.
So it ended mid-June, and I haven't had a period yet.
Just wondering if anyone knows much about late periods after stopping injection?
Okay, so I'll apologise if this is a ridiculous question, I am new to all of this.

I finally got around to going to the doctors today to go on the pill... my main reasons are horrific cramps with heavy and irregular periods. She's given me Marvelon, and I have been instructed to begin taking it on the first day of my next period. My main problem is since they're so irregular, I don't know when that will be... and I was kind of hoping to just get started with taking it straight away? Get settled on it I guess.

So is this a definite no-no? I've read all the information and the way it's worded it kind of seems like beginning it when menstruating is key if you plan to rely on it as contraception... however I won't be (my boyfriend is away travelling) I just want to get going with it... impatient as I am!

If anyone can clear this up for me/correct me I'd be really grateful, I'm feeling pretty clueless.
sugarplumragdoll
So is this a definite no-no? I've read all the information and the way it's worded it kind of seems like beginning it when menstruating is key if you plan to rely on it as contraception... however I won't be (my boyfriend is away travelling) I just want to get going with it... impatient as I am!

If anyone can clear this up for me/correct me I'd be really grateful, I'm feeling pretty clueless.

I think that generally they just tell you to start on the first day of your period so that you're protected straight away (as you said), and say that if you start any other day you need to wait 7 days until you're protected. So yeah, I think that's the only reason. I have no experience with Marvelon so I can't say for sure with that one though.
Also the reason they tell you to start on the first day of your period is so that it is synced to your normal cycle, ie you have a withdrawal bleed when you should have your period.
Thinking of getting the implant.

I've read that for some people they bleed for a few weeks/months then it stops altogether, while for others it just stops right away, or get irregular light periods.

For those on the implant I'm interested in knowing what your previous cycles were like before you went on the implant... irregular, heavy, normal? Does the nature of your cycle/heaviness of your previous periods maybe affect what happens when you then get the implant?

And would the doctor be willing to give you the implant straight away without trying another other method of BC, because it seems implants seem to be a 2nd/3rd resort for most people?
FireDeuce
Also the reason they tell you to start on the first day of your period is so that it is synced to your normal cycle, ie you have a withdrawal bleed when you should have your period.

hang on, isn't the withdrawal bleed on days 21 - 28?
whereas your period would be 1-whatever the next month?
hi!

is it normal for when to be on the break of your pill, for your period to not arrive? I'm on microgynon and this has never happened before. There's no way I could be pregnant, so i'm assuming it's maybe stress or something?

do i just start the new pack as normal?

iced_dragon_agility
hi!

is it normal for when to be on the break of your pill, for your period to not arrive? I'm on microgynon and this has never happened before. There's no way I could be pregnant, so i'm assuming it's maybe stress or something?

do i just start the new pack as normal?

i'm on the same as you and my doctor said that it's perfectly normal if that happens - i guess it just depends on the person etc
x
Need some reassurence here,

Gf was on microgynon she only had her period once in the 3 months she was taking it but she didn't miss a pill and took all of them at the right time.

She has now come off microgynon but still hasn't had her period (last week).

Is this normal?

Thanks
Anonymous
Need some reassurence here,

Gf was on microgynon she only had her period once in the 3 months she was taking it but she didn't miss a pill and took all of them at the right time.

She has now come off microgynon but still hasn't had her period (last week).

Is this normal?

Thanks

When coming off the pill, periods can play up for awhile until they get back to normal. I've heard of some women not getting their periods back for a few months, then still not being regular. Perfectly normal. But if she's worried, ask a GP for reassurance. :smile:
ladydeborah
When coming off the pill, periods can play up for awhile until they get back to normal. I've heard of some women not getting their periods back for a few months, then still not being regular. Perfectly normal. But if she's worried, ask a GP for reassurance. :smile:

That should keep my worries at bay for a couple of days :o:

The GP said her missing periods was fine (she went back to switch to yasmin but is waiting til her period comes back) so hopefully it will come soon.

Still a little bit worried though :frown:
crrrrrash
hang on, isn't the withdrawal bleed on days 21 - 28?
whereas your period would be 1-whatever the next month?

Starting the pill on the first day of your period means you start pill 1 on day 1 of the menstrual cycle.
FireDeuce
Starting the pill on the first day of your period means you start pill 1 on day 1 of the menstrual cycle.

Yes but you have your withdrawal bleed when you have your break week, i.e. after 21 days, day 21 of the cycle [not day 1 of the next cycle]
I've run two packs of pills together (microgynon). Yesterday evening was the end of my second pill packet.

This morning though, I noticed a little tiny bit of blood when I wiped on the tissue. After poking around abit (sorry) I've found there's just a bit of blood in me, not enough to spot on my underwear though...

Is this just because I ran two packs together and my body wants a period??? I've taken my pills exactly on time and everything.
Abit scared it's implantation bleeding. I plan on having a break this week anyway. Just abit scared :s
Reply 2698
Smem
I've run two packs of pills together (microgynon). Yesterday evening was the end of my second pill packet.

This morning though, I noticed a little tiny bit of blood when I wiped on the tissue. After poking around abit (sorry) I've found there's just a bit of blood in me, not enough to spot on my underwear though...

Is this just because I ran two packs together and my body wants a period??? I've taken my pills exactly on time and everything.
Abit scared it's implantation bleeding. I plan on having a break this week anyway. Just abit scared :s

A lot of people spot on the pill, don't stress yourself about it. I'm on a pill which has stopped my periods all together, and I don't have withdrawl bleeds, so when I had some spotting I thought it was an implantation bleed, but I went to my GP for a pregnancy test and I'm negative. Chances are your hormones are a bit wobbly, of course if you miss your next period on your 7-day break, then take a test.
Smem

I wouldn't worry too much straight away, it might just be your body reacting a bit differently after running two packs together.

Quick Reply

Latest