The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

EGjeff
Bought into RBS at 11p many months ago, 56.60p as of 15 minutes ago, 414% increase.

Only put in what I could afford to lose (which was ok as I was on a gap year at the time)

Hoping to wait out untill the £1 mark.

Nice one. You should stay in yeah, I predict £1 isn't too far away. 60p will probably be broken in the next couple of weeks.

RBS and LLOY are safe bets.
Reply 21
I hope so!

I have some in Lloyds too, I was working for a share registrar company for a lot of my gap year so I always had a little bit of notice / insight on things that were going to happen.

Not quite got the 3K to play with that you have though, though if things go to plan :smile:
Reply 22
Doubled my money so far this year, just got one stock in atm though, and that will be sold soonish. Im waiting for the very inevitable fall. The rally cant last long term and im not prepared to lose what i've just earnt on some greedy gamble. Since selling out in May (i think it was) Ive maybe lost out on a potential £1-1.5 grand though, which sucks. BUT; there is a plan and quite substantial market analysis behind what im doing so will continue to follow what im doing. The market has already surprised me once, and it might continue to do so, but if you think the bad times are over then your sadly mistaken.
Reply 23
I'm desperately keen to put some of my money into shares but just need the drive to make the first move. So far I've relied on an IFA to put money into funds for me but the commision that you pay is scary! Even though in the last six months, my funds have performed wonderfully, it takes that extra bit of time for them to simply break even from the commision. I know that you have to pay no matter what method you use, but I want to start making my own informed choices on stocks.
Reply 24
p.s. with regard to the batch buying on iii - would this be a good way to get started? It certainly seems the cheapest. Any advice would be good here as this is one of my uncertainties even before looking at shares to buy
Reply 25
TheLouisVuittonDon
Looks like not many people are likely to post in here.. I can use it as a sort of blog then.

'Patience and steering a good course could deliver handsomely for GKP. I'm not afraid of further dilution while currently at £59m m/cap. (You only have to look at WZR at £220m/£60m cash = a valuation without the cash at £160m - ie more than 3 times GKP valuation. (GKP have at least the option of other assets to sell whether they realise a sale or not - WZR don't.)

Both chasing similar amounts of oil. Both with nothing more than oil shows at the moment while WZR are on their 2nd well.

I've no doubt that GKP have engineered themselves into a great position on acerage with 7-8 billion barrels in place potential. I think there's a good chance to pull in similar reserves to DNO from this kind of acerage over time.

You simply won't get that potential anywhere imo, where £20 - £50m m/cap companies might be drilling a 20 - 200 mmbo oil prospect with perhaps a few years to production if successful. Here's it's in the billion barrels league with potentially very high well rates and an early route to market and over 200,000 trucks involved in oil/oil products transportation in/out of Kurdistan. It's undoubtedly the biggest potential around for any small company. 80% drilling successes, low lifting costs, early route to market via truck. It's stated that the Zagros fold belt holds around 10% of the words oil reserves.

Of course many political things to sort out, but again if others like what they see, then the likes of GKP and others may be snapped up long before that if they find partial success. Who knows what interest from other comapnies might be generated on looking at Shaikan 1 results now that 20 API oil has been shown.'

not my words, but i'm in GKP now. fingers crossed

I bought some SEY and GKP this morning :smile:
Milch
I bought some SEY and GKP this morning :smile:

nice :smile: i think we are still in for some gains, but i'm ever so annoyed at missing out on yesterdays action :p: don't you feel the same?
nah not really into stocks, im the forex don, but i'll still watch,
Cj-Tj
Doubled my money so far this year, just got one stock in atm though, and that will be sold soonish. Im waiting for the very inevitable fall. The rally cant last long term and im not prepared to lose what i've just earnt on some greedy gamble. Since selling out in May (i think it was) Ive maybe lost out on a potential £1-1.5 grand though, which sucks. BUT; there is a plan and quite substantial market analysis behind what im doing so will continue to follow what im doing. The market has already surprised me once, and it might continue to do so, but if you think the bad times are over then your sadly mistaken.

What stock is that?

You seem to have an impressive track record. :yep:

The bad times aren't over, but it will simply allow me to get in at lower prices.
Reply 29
TheLouisVuittonDon
nice :smile: i think we are still in for some gains, but i'm ever so annoyed at missing out on yesterdays action :p: don't you feel the same?

yep! +70% would have been nice!
ooooo nice thread. I like :smile:
Reply 31
This thread interests me.
has anyone got any tips then????
For the guys buying into GKP consider this, yesterday the shares rose 70%+ on the back of their news having drilled to half of their well depth. This is one of 3 wells in which they plan to drill. More news will be coming mid Sept regarding their next results, although many believe they already know these results.

In regards to SEY, someone mentioned they have purchased these this morning. I hope you realise they're going to be introducing many more shares into the market in September (not sure exact date), the SP is likely to drop again. They have fairly large financial problems which they need to overcome before even starting to spud their well. Yes they may have GKP potential in the future but in my opinion this is NOT the time to invest in such company.

Others mentioned here, LLOY and RBS, safe bets... I've been in these for a while and already seen a handsome profit. They will increase in the long term.
Also the broker I use is Barclays Stockbrokers, fee is I believe £12.99 per trade. No monthly subscription. They're fairly reliable.
I will continue to post on this thread going forward, but please please please consider everything I say purely my opinion. Everyone considering buying shares needs to do their own research and be prepared to loose money.
I cannot predict the future, otherwise I'd already be a millionaire.
Milch
yep! +70% would have been nice!

Sorry kinda flooding this page now haha...
It was very nice :smile: although I wont be pulling any money only putting more in.
Personally I think its got a long way to go yet!

And cant remember if it was you but be careful with SEY.
Reply 37
assuming were all around 20 years old plus or minus and dont have very large sums of money at our disposal to invest in the stock market, it doesnt make sense to put money (the little that we do have) into large cap equities because the return is just not worth it, albeit you are extremely patient and actually dont mind waiting 3-5 years to see any real significant gain on your initial capital investment.

its kinda lame putting 1000 pounds or dollars into blue chips like Intel or Johnson & Johnson only to see 50% profit in 2-3 years. Some like it long-term cos its safe and pretty much guaranteed but its just too boring for me and not worth the trouble. To me at least, going long term in big caps is not a productive strategy for people our age. might be cool for some but id much rather day trade with the little i do have to start seeing real gains. it is riskier, but if you choose the correct stocks and do it correctly then you can actually get very significant returns daily. Penny stocks and micro cap stocks are the way to go for me.

I own a handful of companies with long-term horizon which make up one part of my portfolio. Im not looking to get rich on those but just give some beef to my cash. The rest are penny stocks with good intra-day volatility as well as some very promising micro cap companies that i believe will explode. I have made alot of money in these in relation to my invested sums. Its also fun to day trade and the adrenaline is awesome.

Feel free to ask me about my strategy and what stocks i play or anything. Im happy to share.
hotshot
assuming were all around 20 years old plus or minus and dont have very large sums of money at our disposal to invest in the stock market, it doesnt make sense to put money (the little that we do have) into large cap equities because the return is just not worth it, albeit you are extremely patient and actually dont mind waiting 3-5 years to see any real significant gain on your initial capital investment.

its kinda lame putting 1000 pounds or dollars into blue chips like Intel or Johnson & Johnson only to see 50% profit in 2-3 years. Some like it long-term cos its safe and pretty much guaranteed but its just too boring for me and not worth the trouble. To me at least, going long term in big caps is not a productive strategy for people our age. might be cool for some but id much rather day trade with the little i do have to start seeing real gains. it is riskier, but if you choose the correct stocks and do it correctly then you can actually get very significant returns daily. Penny stocks and micro cap stocks are the way to go for me.

I own a handful of companies with long-term horizon which make up one part of my portfolio. Im not looking to get rich on those but just give some beef to my cash. The rest are penny stocks with good intra-day volatility as well as some very promising micro cap companies that i believe will explode. I have made alot of money in these in relation to my invested sums. Its also fun to day trade and the adrenaline is awesome.

Feel free to ask me about my strategy and what stocks i play or anything. Im happy to share.

so what penny stocks do you recomend?
'Libertas Capital, House Broker and Nominated Advisor (‘NOMAD&#8217:wink: to junior gold and copper developer and producer, Frontier Mining (AIM: FML), released an in-depth note on the company today, highlighting the upside valuation potential if the company can deliver on its ambitions.

In the note, titled ‘Undiscovered Junior Copper-Gold Play’, Libertas highlighted the “potentially world class” Benkala Copper Project and near term gold heap leaching Naimanjal operation as the two key assets that have the potential to drive value in the near and medium term.'

Excuse the name but FML could be a good buy lol

Do your own research though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending