The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lazytomato
my fm teacher said any three modules will do...because apparently fm is a lot harder..so they will accept that :s-smilie:

yeah any 3 not including FP1.. because FP1 can only be an AS module, as can anything that ends in a '1'.
Reply 21
Nfixlol
yeah any 3 not including FP1.. because FP1 can only be an AS module, as can anything that ends in a '1'.

I am not sure about this. FP1 is As module but m1 or s1 or d1 can be considered as A2 module - I think :o:
Reply 22
so Bascially I need 90% average in C3/C4 and an Applied module and 480/600 overall?
Amit92
so Bascially I need 90% average in C3/C4 and an Applied module and 480/600 overall?

180/200 or higher in C3 and C4
480/600 overall

no other module scores matter
Reply 24
matt2k8
480/600 overall

Spot on.

Would anybody know for Further Maths - how one would define 3 A2 modules?
rnshan
Spot on.

Would anybody know for Further Maths - how one would define 3 A2 modules?

A2 modules are anything ending in a 2 or higher (excluding C2 but that's irrelevant). e.g. if you did FP1-3 and M1-3 for further maths, you'd have to get 270/300 in the best three of FP2, FP3, M2 and M3, and 480/600 overall
Reply 26
matt2k8
A2 modules are anything ending in a 2 or higher (excluding C2 but that's irrelevant). e.g. if you did FP1-3 and M1-3 for further maths, you'd have to get 270/300 in the best three of FP2, FP3, M2 and M3, and 480/600 overall

What about D1 and D2 ? Is it your interpretation - that all module ending with 2 or above is A2 or is there a doc which says that. I was not able to find anything which states this except in TSR :smile:
Thks for your help.
rnshan
What about D1 and D2 ? Is it your interpretation - that all module ending with 2 or above is A2 or is there a doc which says that. I was not able to find anything which states this except in TSR :smile:
Thks for your help.

Not sure about for other exam boards but on MEI the specification says AS next to AS units and A2 next to A2 units

D1 is AS, D2 is A2
Reply 28
matt2k8
Not sure about for other exam boards but on MEI the specification says AS next to AS units and A2 next to A2 units

D1 is AS, D2 is A2

Thks - unfortunately Edexcel does not say anything like that and hence the confusion for me. :p:
Reply 29
matt2k8
480/600 overall

Say I got
85% at AS in C1-C2-S1
and then 90% at A2 in C3-C4-D1, would I still get an A*, seeming has D1 is seen to be an AS module?
Reply 30
Amit92
Say I got
85% at AS in C1-C2-S1
and then 90% at A2 in C3-C4-D1, would I still get an A*, seeming has D1 is seen to be an AS module?

A*in Maths is purely based on getting 90% or more on C3 and C4, as long as your total average for all 6 modules is more than 80%.
Amit92
Say I got
85% at AS in C1-C2-S1

It's purely 90% in C3 and C4 , all other modules don't matter aslong as you have 480/600 overall.
Bluebird92
however if you take M2 or S2 as part of A Level Maths, then your 90% average must extend over to this as these are A2 modules - a combination of M1 and S1 avoids this.

This sounds a bit unfair.

edit: http://www.qcda.gov.uk/21230.aspx

In order to allow candidates to take more than one type of applications unit, candidates may certificate A level mathematics with four AS and two A2 units This makes mathematics unique among A level subjects and has resulted in different arrangements for awarding the A* grade for A level mathematics, with A* awarded on the basis of performance on the A2 pure mathematics units only, which means very good performance on an A2 applications unit will not contribute to A*.
Reply 33
beatleboar
In bold is correct.

no its not
WHAT!! you can A* in maths, i did not know that, but what about the applied modules ?? like mechanics, statistics & decision
rnshan
Thks - unfortunately Edexcel does not say anything like that and hence the confusion for me. :p:

Pages 10-11 (of the actual spec) or 12-13 (of the PDF) of http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/spec-gce-mathematics.pdf, under "Level".
Reply 36
michaelyus
Pages 10-11 (of the actual spec) or 12-13 (of the PDF) of http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/spec-gce-mathematics.pdf, under "Level".

Thks - I had seen that before. I interpret that as any application units inclding s1,d1, m1 can be part of final A level without diffeentiating between AS and A2 levels for further Maths. So one can get A* in FM by having say 90% with S1, D1, S2 modules - assuming say M1, M2 was taken with A level Maths. So :woo: edexcel is more flexible than other boards.
rnshan
Thks - I had seen that before. I interpret that as any application units inclding s1,d1, m1 can be part of final A level without diffeentiating between AS and A2 levels for further Maths. So one can get A* in FM by having say 90% with S1, D1, S2 modules - assuming say M1, M2 was taken with A level Maths. So :woo: edexcel is more flexible than other boards.

But I don't think that is correct; S1, M1, D1 are all AS units according to that table. So the 90% condition of the A* has to be met with other units (e.g. FP2, FP3, S2, M2).
Reply 38
michaelyus
But I don't think that is correct; S1, M1, D1 are all AS units according to that table. So the 90% condition of the A* has to be met with other units (e.g. FP2, FP3, S2, M2).

I cannot find any table in Edexcel - which terms S1,m1,d1 as As modules. :frown:
Reply 39
rnshan
I cannot find any table in Edexcel - which terms S1,m1,d1 as As modules. :frown:

See the link provide by Michaelyus and the exact page number provided - look at the column titled level

A* for FM requires 480/600 overall and 270/300 from best 3 A2 units (confirmed in another post that quotes an email from edexcel)

Quick Reply

Latest