The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
gdunne42
See the link provide by Michaelyus and the exact page number provided - look at the column titled level

A* for FM requires 480/600 overall and 270/300 from best 3 A2 units (confirmed in another post that quotes an email from edexcel)

That is exactly my point. - that document clearly say for FM A level - Fp1 and FP2 and any modules as long as it is not c1,c2,c3,c4. :smile:
Reply 41
rnshan
That is exactly my point. - that document clearly say for FM A level - Fp1 and FP2 and any modules as long as it is not c1,c2,c3,c4. :smile:

Yes, as long as you do the required FP units FM can include any modules that are not already used for MATHS
The TABLE tells you that FP1, D1, S1, M1 are AS level units .
You cannot put together a combination for FM that does not include at least 3 A2 units (as you will have already used up at least one of M1, S1, D1 for Maths)
FM A* requires 270/300 for the best 3 A2 units
Reply 42
gdunne42
Yes, as long as you do the required FP units FM can include any modules that are not already used for MATHS
The TABLE tells you that FP1, D1, S1, M1 are AS level units .
You cannot put together a combination for FM that does not include at least 3 A2 units (as you will have already used up at least one of M1, S1, D1 for Maths)
FM A* requires 270/300 for the best 3 A2 units

:facepalm: Yes I found it - dumb me............ It is very clear now.
Reply 43
Hi, I'm a year 13 student studying A level Biology under the CIE exam board and i really wanted to know whether anyone knows if CIE will offer the A* grade to students who are doing the A2 level exam in june 2010. I completed my AS biology and i got an overall grade of A, and i know there's a whole page on this website about the A* grade, but it was not updated and therefore unreliable, as i heard from my biology teacher that the A* grade is no longer available for those taking the A2 exam in June 2010. I want to make sure of this, since i am applying to oxbridge and i dont want to have an A as my predicted grade when it should be an A*. Please can someone reply if they know anything, THIS COULD DETERMINE THE REST OF MY SORRY PATHETIC LIFE!!!
Reply 44
Please Somebody Reply, Im Dying Here!!! I Need A Reply Nowwwwwwww!!!!!
amro105
Hi, I'm a year 13 student studying A level Biology under the CIE exam board and i really wanted to know whether anyone knows if CIE will offer the A* grade to students who are doing the A2 level exam in june 2010. I completed my AS biology and i got an overall grade of A, and i know there's a whole page on this website about the A* grade, but it was not updated and therefore unreliable, as i heard from my biology teacher that the A* grade is no longer available for those taking the A2 exam in June 2010. I want to make sure of this, since i am applying to oxbridge and i dont want to have an A as my predicted grade when it should be an A*. Please can someone reply if they know anything, THIS COULD DETERMINE THE REST OF MY SORRY PATHETIC LIFE!!!

I think the information here should be relevant: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A-star_grades_at_A-level#What_about_CIE_international_A-levels.3F
Reply 46
no, tht has not been updated since last year and my teacher said CIE decided not to do the A star grade this year. I just want confirmation from ANYONE doing biology or another CIE subject whether or not there teachers sed they can achieve the A* grade in A-level this year (june 2010 examinations). please if anyone is doing CIE A2 levels THIS year please reply
Your question is completely irrelevant, as many people on here, including myself, have been told by admissions tutors at both Oxford and Cambridge that all A* predictions will be regarded as A grade predications because:
a) some schools just aren't predicting A*s
b) some schools do not understand how it will work
c) some believe that no one should be predicted them, as no one has sat an exam paper with the new style questions yet.

Also, if you weren't so damn lazy, you could go on the CIE website yourself and check the specification.
Reply 48
i have checked the specification, it says nothing, the CIE website is useless as well since it says nothing about the new grade, so dont assume im lazy. Also im not only applying to Cambridge, so i think it does matter and you have not answered the question. Is it available for CIE biology?
Reply 49
yeah I know I cant get an A* at AS. But how does it work for A2 does it need to be an average of 90% across AS and A2 units or just the A" ones. and if it is just the A2 ones does it matter what you got at AS?>??

ps the search on TSR is **** hence i couldnt find them. if anyone knows of a thread that is compiling a list of people apply cambridge for law let me know
Reply 50
Technically, you can get a C at AS and get an A* overall. An A* is 80%+ in the entire A-level and 90%+ in the A2 modules (or in the case of Maths, only C3 and C4).
Is it true that you cannot get an A* if you retake some modules? My teacher says you can only get one if you dont retake at all?
Rubbish. You CAN get A* with retakes. I have asked the exam boards and all of them were positive about that.
Reply 53
You can get an A* if you retake!
my teachers tell lies then haha oh well
Hooray! I'm not doomed! :ahee:
Reply 56
Of course you can, it's not some special A* club that if you failed once you're tainted, it's just a grade boundary.
rockingreviser
Is it true that you cannot get an A* if you retake some modules? My teacher says you can only get one if you dont retake at all?

Nope you can still get an A* if you retake. Edexcel specifically mention it here:http://www.edexcel.com/notices/Pages/a-star-grade.aspx
Reply 58
Same at my college, it seems that the teachers are the last group of people to ask about things pertaining to their subject. Half of my teachers were under the impression that you couldn't achieve an A* if you retook.
Noble.
Same at my college, it seems that the teachers are the last group of people to ask about things pertaining to their subject. Half of my teachers were under the impression that you couldn't achieve an A* if you retook.

:yes:

Quick Reply

Latest