The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Toss a coin. Heads Downing tails Trinity.
my old maths teacher (who had just graduated from cambridge) said downing was always full of rich private schoolboy types, so advised me NOT to apply there!.
i'd personally go for trinity.

lol ok from the amount of people commenting on it, my teacher was obviously WRONG

but well if you still cant decide, look at which is closer to your subjects lecture halls?
Reply 1062
I applied to downing for law and after the interview they refused me for a very stupid reason so my advice is don't go there...
Reply 1063
My school is in the UK, asking them to mail it by next day post. Just left that college part out and going to ask them to fill it in and toss it in the mail.

Downing is right nextdoor to the lectures, and has amazing rooms. But trinity. The accomodation is good, and abit further from the lectures, but oh my god the prestige.

Im so confused right now!

Which is harder to get in? If i get pooled by trinity, do i have a shot at downing? I could express interest!
Reply 1064
Ok, be honest with yourself, if you have an amazing academic record even by OXbridge applicant standards then apply to Trinity, if you think you have a fairly good academic record then apply Downing.
Reply 1065
nedMALK
I applied to downing for law and after the interview they refused me for a very stupid reason so my advice is don't go there...

I'm considering applying to Downing for law right now. What was the reason they rejected you, if you don't mind me asking? Please PM me if you don't want to post in the thread.
Reply 1066
Im not sure about oxbridge applicant standards. Whats a 95-96% in everything?
Reply 1067
Oh the above question, and what do they mean by trinity being very formal? Is it to the extent that its suffocating?
didgeridoo12uk
my old maths teacher (who had just graduated from cambridge) said downing was always full of rich private schoolboy types, so advised me NOT to apply there!.

but well if you still cant decide, look at which is closer to your subjects lecture halls?

Not true at all.

I personally love Downing. Though I'm happy at Homerton, if I were to apply again, I'd probably go for Downing. You get an AMAZING room in your first year, and everyone I know there is lovely.
sammyrj
Not true at all.

I personally love Downing. Though I'm happy at Homerton, if I were to apply again, I'd probably go for Downing. You get an AMAZING room in your first year, and everyone I know there is lovely.

fair enough lol, and yeh the rooms looked pretty immense when i looked round!!
didgeridoo12uk

Erm...

(if anything, Trinity is the college full of 'private schoolboy types')

I like both colleges. When I was applying, I very nearly applied to them (opted for King's in the end). I'd go for Trinity just because I like the typical Cambridge architecture.
i think trinity would be the best choice!
Reply 1072
didgeridoo12uk

I'm an international student, I went to a public grammar school and I got an offer from Downing, so it's certainly not impossible to get in if you're not from a private school. And other potential candidates at the interviews were incredibly friendly. Personally, I think Trinity is considered as posh.
oh and OP: why either downing or trinity. jesus is a far superior college :tongue:
Reply 1074
Nothing against jesus, but those are the two places ive been, that made me feel much at home...

Apparently trinity does not hold for two gap years? o.o Just called them.
Downing... imo

Not that it makes a world of a difference you'll probably end up liking where you go...
I'm hoping to study Arabic and French...
Almost all colleges take students from every course. The larger colleges will have more language students than the smaller ones, but you choose a college based on accommodation, location, size, architecture and how much you like it rather than according to the course you do.
Make sure the college you'd like to apply to offers Arabic (and also in combination with French). I gather not all of them do. Other than that, colleges aren't especially subject-based, so it's not like all linguists go to one college, all economists go to another etc. Pick based on where you'd like to be, what the place is like, where it is, whatever you count as important.
Tempeststurm
Almost all colleges take students from every course. The larger colleges will have more language students than the smaller ones, but you choose a college based on accommodation, location, size, architecture and how much you like it rather than according to the course you do.

We had an Oxbridge talker come into our sixth form today who told us that sometimes colleges are quite selective with who they take depending on course? He was studying engineering at Oxford and referred to his college as quite 'science-y'?

Is it different for Cambridge? It seemed like all he spoke about was Oxford tbh! x

Quick Reply