The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

AndrewsJoseph
I also like red cards like shock, volcanic hammer, and lava axe. They can finish an opponent in minutes!

Lava Axe is overpriced IMO, as well as volcanic hammer. I can't recall what shock does off the top of my head... anyway, surely lightning bolts are alot better, and when your getting up to the bigger burn spells, going for fireball or something (or a Kamahl Pit Fighter or two for damage every turn... but watch that 1 defence point!)
Just thought, there is a real problem with this thread. It doesn't really belong in Entertainment IMO, the same way that computer games don't (and they have their own sub forum in technology). Thinking about it, maybe Gaming should be moved out of computing and technology, put as a forum in its own right, so it allows for all games (Computer, CCG's onto board games maybe, tabletop games, D&D etc)
Reply 22
I played seriously, made Nationals (didn't do too well there, though). Played a few Grand Prix, they were good- narrowly missed the cut to day 2 in one. I was mostly a fan of the speed decks (big in type 2 in my day: blue/green madness during the Odyssey Block, Ravager-Affinity later- although I hear half the cards from that are now banned anyway). Don't play as much any more, as I got annoyed at small kids coming to tournaments and beating me when I started putting more time towards exams.

And yes, Lava Axe is far too much mana to pay for a player-targeted sorcery. :p:
(Two for three damage to creatures, however, makes the Hammer much more viable...)
Reply 23
Eru:

Shock
R
Instant
Shock does 2 damage to target creature or player.
2 5 +
I played seriously, made Nationals (didn't do too well there, though). Played a few Grand Prix, they were good- narrowly missed the cut to day 2 in one. I was mostly a fan of the speed decks (big in type 2 in my day: blue/green madness during the Odyssey Block, Ravager-Affinity later- although I hear half the cards from that are now banned anyway). Don't play as much any more, as I got annoyed at small kids coming to tournaments and beating me when I started putting more time towards exams.

And yes, Lava Axe is far too much mana to pay for a player-targeted sorcery. :p:
(Two for three damage to creatures, however, makes the Hammer much more viable...)

Woo! I wanted to play seriously, but there aren't really people to play against round here, so i can't practice or hone my decks or anything, so i haven't really been able to. I'm sure i am good enough though, which so many people must have said so many times before getting creamed in the first round of a minor tournament :smile:... I've always been better at a draft style of play, than making decks anyway. I like the less standard style of play of it. I mainly go for the mana generating/big creature decks, either something like tinker, or more a trinity green/elf deck, but with some big stuff in there, rather than relying on quantity of creatures, and my best decks have always featured green strongly (either that green/white deck i talked about before for the invasion block, or a green/red playing with some older cards too).

I disagree with hammer, mainly because of my love for lightning bolts, but i think that only being able to target a creature with that damage makes the spell not too good, though it does depend on someones style of play.
2 5 +
Eru:

Shock
R
Instant
Shock does 2 damage to target creature or player.

Oh okay, so basically slightly less than a lightning bolt... well that spells pretty good (worth the mana cost, for sure, although its more for keeping the mana curve, than being a brilliant card in general)
Reply 26
Eru
Woo! I wanted to play seriously, but there aren't really people to play against round here, so i can't practice or hone my decks or anything, so i haven't really been able to. I'm sure i am good enough though, which so many people must have said so many times before getting creamed in the first round of a minor tournament :smile:... I've always been better at a draft style of play, than making decks anyway. I like the less standard style of play of it. I mainly go for the mana generating/big creature decks, either something like tinker, or more a trinity green/elf deck, but with some big stuff in there, rather than relying on quantity of creatures, and my best decks have always featured green strongly (either that green/white deck i talked about before for the invasion block, or a green/red playing with some older cards too).

I disagree with hammer, mainly because of my love for lightning bolts, but i think that only being able to target a creature with that damage makes the spell not too good, though it does depend on someones style of play.

You should probably try... first tournament, I guarantee it, you will be crap. And you will inevitably lose every single match you play: the standard in tournaments is about ten times better than that with friends. But it can be fun, even if it is expensive, and I got a few good stories out of it. :biggrin:

IMHO, burn targeted at players only is only really good as a killer (eg Blaze/Ghitu Fires in some sort of control deck that can generate 20+ mana). In limited especially, it'll often prove the case that it's more important to get everything off the table to get a ground advantage. But out of Shock, Hammer and the Axe, Shock is considered by far the best; the instant-ness gives it so much more surprise value.
Reply 27
I used to play quite a bit. Brother was really crazy about it though - made the nationals too I think.
I used to play 2 years back...got really into it (bordered on an addiction!!)...but it ended up costin me a lot of time and money...may start playin agen casually...have u been in any official tornaments??
Yes, I was quite a good player :smile: I havn't played for bout 6 months though. I went to a few prereleases (even won a t-shirt for Fifth Dawn prerelease) (vowed never to wear it in public :redface: ) and some sealed deck tournaments. My best deck was a cheap-man's ravager affinity using Atog instead of ravager :biggrin: I think I'd quite like to get back into it but it's a very expensive hobby :frown:
2 5 +
You should probably try... first tournament, I guarantee it, you will be crap. And you will inevitably lose every single match you play: the standard in tournaments is about ten times better than that with friends. But it can be fun, even if it is expensive, and I got a few good stories out of it. :biggrin:

IMHO, burn targeted at players only is only really good as a killer (eg Blaze/Ghitu Fires in some sort of control deck that can generate 20+ mana). In limited especially, it'll often prove the case that it's more important to get everything off the table to get a ground advantage. But out of Shock, Hammer and the Axe, Shock is considered by far the best; the instant-ness gives it so much more surprise value.

Well i don't think so to be honest. I am sure that i will do well enough in the tournament, win a few games at least, because i have been playing for a while now.

I agree mostly with what you said there. Shock is undoubtably the best of the three. And most burn spells targeted at the player are not all that great, unless your trying to play Red/Blue with control, and using it as your primary victory, maybe combining with some decent sized creatures, but again, its down to preference. I guess personally i always play strong creatures, so rely alot on them to get me ground advantage, so don't really need those sorts of spells, and if i was worried about creatures at that size where it would be effective, i'd go for stuff like earthquake, Breath or Darigaaz etc. every time, because it targets more than one (and with my creatures, i'd not usually have to worry about knocking out my own creatures, but again, its down to deck strategy). But when it comes down to it, i would prefer hammer to axe, because of the price of it for what it does. Although i wouldn't choose to, i could see myself using the hammer at two mana, but at 5, i would not use the axe.
Reply 31
StriatedCentipe
Yes, I was quite a good player :smile: I havn't played for bout 6 months though. I went to a few prereleases (even won a t-shirt for Fifth Dawn prerelease) (vowed never to wear it in public :redface: ) and some sealed deck tournaments. My best deck was a cheap-man's ravager affinity using Atog instead of ravager :biggrin: I think I'd quite like to get back into it but it's a very expensive hobby :frown:

If you've ever played in the Machester tourneys, we might've met. :p:

Anyway, back in't day, the best websites for anyone wanting to take it seriously were:

www.magicthegathering.com (official)
www.starcitygames.com
www.brainburst.com (although largely subscription, and hard to get into if inexperienced)

And the Google group at
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.games.trading-cards.misc?hl=en
is good for UK tournament info.
Has anyone played/got the actual game they released of MTG (not the online one, the original one). I know it only has old cards, but i really like the game (and it is about to download in full... although i don't know how legal it is, as it is named as abandonware, but anyway)
yes i used to visit those sites reguarly :smile: but I played tournaments in Nottingham.
Reply 34
Eru
I agree mostly with what you said there. Shock is undoubtably the best of the three. And most burn spells targeted at the player are not all that great, unless your trying to play Red/Blue with control, and using it as your primary victory, maybe combining with some decent sized creatures, but again, its down to preference. I guess personally i always play strong creatures, so rely alot on them to get me ground advantage, so don't really need those sorts of spells, and if i was worried about creatures at that size where it would be effective, i'd go for stuff like earthquake, Breath or Darigaaz etc. every time, because it targets more than one (and with my creatures, i'd not usually have to worry about knocking out my own creatures, but again, its down to deck strategy). But when it comes down to it, i would prefer hammer to axe, because of the price of it for what it does. Although i wouldn't choose to, i could see myself using the hammer at two mana, but at 5, i would not use the axe.

I see from your use of the lingo that we have no scrubs here. :biggrin:

To be honest, I always avoided burn in constructed anyway. Give me some cheap flashback stuff and Wild Mongrel any day...
See, this is the annoying thing. All the major playing of these games is up in the north. I'm near Brighton, and there simply aren't the places to play around here. I think there might be one in eastbourne, but i don't want to travel that far.
For a while, an english version of Lotus Noir (http://jeuxsoc.free.fr/index2.php?principal=/presse/index_lotusnoir.htm) was selling in my newsagents but nobody bought it but me so i think they gave up stocking it :frown:
Reply 37
Craig what a pleaure meeting YOU here. :smile:
Can someone explain to me how the game goes? Is it kind of like Yu gi oh? Cause I played it once...
Reply 38
~MOi~
Craig what a pleaure meeting YOU here. :smile:
Can someone explain to me how the game goes? Is it kind of like Yu gi oh? Cause I played it once...

I'm afraid the assorted Magic players of the world will now have to kill you. :biggrin:
2 5 +
I see from your use of the lingo that we have no scrubs here. :biggrin:

To be honest, I always avoided burn in constructed anyway. Give me some cheap flashback stuff and Wild Mongrel any day...

Well i never used burn primarily in any of my decks, but i always put a couple of spells in when i was playing red, just to have the option available (mostly breath of darigaaz as mass removal against weenie/swarm decks).

Well yeah, i agree with that, though i prefer personally playing a benzo/reanimator sort of deck with the mongrel, so with the Black/Green combo i can also play the ever annoying spiritmonger.

Latest