The Student Room Group

Large black bug/beetle on kitchen floor- help :(

Bit of background: on my own on my year abroad, terrified of just about any insect never mind something so big and disgusting.

I'm currently living in the basement of someone's house so I know it's to be expected but I was just in the kitchen cooking some rice and some sort of black beetle (pretty big, about 3cm long if not more) came out from under the fridge. I'm sure it's not a cockroach, didn't look like one.

I'm TERRIFIED to say the least, I'm already alone (I know the person who rents me the house is upstairs but she's an old woman and will probably be quite dismissive as she's lived here all of her life) and this has scared me to death.

We had mice in our uni flat last year, I dealt with that, but here my room is right next to the kitchen; will he come in or did he just want some dinner from the crumbs by the fridge?

Please console me/make me laugh :bawling::cry:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry I realise that post was awful but I'm scared :frown:
Once upon a time, whilst in Australia, I saw a similarly sized beetle. I took it off my stuff, put it by the door, and let it go about it's own business. Thing is, that beetle had something against me...

The audacious bar steward climbed up the wall, along the ceiling, and whilst I was mid song (playing guitar), the ****** dropped and landed squarely on my head! :eek: I near **** myself, then threw the mofo out the room!
Reply 3
It's going to eat you in your sleep, beginning with your eyeballs.
Is it anything like this?
http://dailypilot.com/dailyblogger/ablank/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/black-beetle.jpg

I woke up with one of those on my face when I was camping a few weeks ago! Eurgh, I HATE camping.
Reply 5
Take a stick -a large and thick one-, put a helmet on and go for it! :p:
Reply 6
Boon!

This is exactly the response I was expecting.

I'm happy to go into denial and use the kitchen tomorrow but if there's lots of the buggers I'm going to have to go home I'm that scared.
Reply 7
Boon!

That is more or less true. The thing is, ive heard this story before. You saw it when it was 3cm long.. but by the end of the day, it will be at least 2 METRES long. Its speed is so fast, that it will come all the way from the basement and stand in front of you in the time it takes you to blink. Then..

IT WILL EAT YOU.

So you'd better get that bug spray out.
Reply 8
timetokill
Is it anything like this?
http://dailypilot.com/dailyblogger/ablank/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/black-beetle.jpg

I woke up with one of those on my face when I was camping a few weeks ago! Eurgh, I HATE camping.

Pretty much yeah.

I wish I wasn't such a flaming wimp.
Reply 9
It won't do a thing to you =) Pick it up, using a piece of card if necessary, and stick it outside on the lawn.
Next time you see it, hoover that s**t up :wink: It's what I did to the spiders in my previous flat.
Reply 11
GazzyG
It won't do a thing to you =) Pick it up, using a piece of card if necessary, and stick it outside on the lawn.

this is the problem. I KNOW it won't do anything to me, it's the size of my thumb, yet I froze with fear =(
Reply 12
Is this the guy everyone is talking about

Reply 13
noodles!
this is the problem. I KNOW it won't do anything to me, it's the size of my thumb, yet I froze with fear =(

What is it about bugs that scares you? The strangeness?

I used to not like bugs until I bit the bullet and bought my first Praying Mantis. Not minded most bugs since then. =) Still a little uneasy with spiders, but not particularly scared.
Reply 14
jbanjeet
Is this the guy everyone is talking about

That is DISGUSTING. He didn't look like that though, no.
Reply 15
noodles!
This is exactly the response I was expecting.

I'm happy to go into denial and use the kitchen tomorrow but if there's lots of the buggers I'm going to have to go home I'm that scared.

Have you seen the film 'Mimic' per chance? :p:
Reply 16
noodles!
That is DISGUSTING. He didn't look like that though, no.

it is definitely a very beautiful creature
Reply 17
GazzyG
What is it about bugs that scares you? The strangeness?

I used to not like bugs until I bit the bullet and bought my first Praying Mantis. Not minded most bugs since then. =) Still a little uneasy with spiders, but not particularly scared.

I honestly don't know what it is, I think it's partially my mum's fault because she's the same. I think it's because I can't look at their eyes. I know that sounds really really weird, but anything I can see the eyes of I'm fine.

I hate it but I'm stuck like this. I guess living alone ever again is off the menu. Need someone to get the bugs for me. I did get a spider with a broom yesterday though.
i feel bad for you. i HATE bugs and all that ****. next time you see it (hopefully you wont) put a cup over it. maybe it will just die lol.
Reply 19
Hoover it!

Latest

Trending

Trending