The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2010 Competition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
redalert
I'm going to wait a while before signing up too as there seems to be no advantage in taking the online tests early and I could use some more numerical practice time!

The earlier you do the online tests the earlier you may do etray and the earlier you may do the assessment centre (FSAC) and the earlier you may find out. Thats assuming you're not amber banded for a while.

However as long as your apply will people passing stages before you've attempted that level then there is nothing wrong with that and its probably a bit less stressful.
This also may seem like a stupid question, but here goes anyway.

In the numerical reasoning tests, I frequently run out of time before answering all the questions. However, though slow, my maths is actually of a decent standard. Thus, the majority of the questions I answer are actually right.

I was wondering; if I come unstuck in the real thing, and realise I don't have much time left but several questions left to answer, would I be better off just guessing the final answers without wasting time on the calculations? Or is your ability calculated by the number of questions you get right out of the number of questions you attempt (obviously you have to have attempted a certain number)?

Sorry if this is confusing or convoluted...
Reply 62
Too Orangey
I was wondering; if I come unstuck in the real thing, and realise I don't have much time left but several questions left to answer, would I be better off just guessing the final answers without wasting time on the calculations? Or is your ability calculated by the number of questions you get right out of the number of questions you attempt (obviously you have to have attempted a certain number)?

It would be better to have a guess answer rather than no answer. No answer is incorrect. Any other way would be an advantage to those who spend longer per question.
Reply 63
application done...now to wait :s-smilie:
Hi

Thanks for all the tips, I've read the 2008 thread and getting through the 2009 thread, but I do have two questions that I don't *think* are covered:

1. I am in the US on exchange for this term, and won't be back in the UK till January. If I get through to the e-tray do I get any say in when I do it or will I have to fly back specially?

2. To increase my chances of getting to the above, does anyone have any advice on practicing for the verbal reasoning test. I just did the self assessment and was in the top 15% for numerical (will keep practicing maths though!) but only the top 45% for verbal, which doesn't really seem good enough. I think I'm having trouble 'thinking the way they think' and could really do with some practice - can anyone suggest a site that has verbal reasoning practice?

Thanks
studentinexile
Hi

Thanks for all the tips, I've read the 2008 thread and getting through the 2009 thread, but I do have two questions that I don't *think* are covered:

1. I am in the US on exchange for this term, and won't be back in the UK till January. If I get through to the e-tray do I get any say in when I do it or will I have to fly back specially?

2. To increase my chances of getting to the above, does anyone have any advice on practicing for the verbal reasoning test. I just did the self assessment and was in the top 15% for numerical (will keep practicing maths though!) but only the top 45% for verbal, which doesn't really seem good enough. I think I'm having trouble 'thinking the way they think' and could really do with some practice - can anyone suggest a site that has verbal reasoning practice?

Thanks

January is quite late - are you back before that at all? For my year I think the etrays had all been completed by December, in which case you wouldn't be able to postpone. Best bet is to ask the Fast Stream team via the website.
Reply 66
How did everyone find the tests? I'm assuming a few people have taken them now. I found the maths questions to be OK but the verbal reasoning was quite difficult. I can't wait to find out how I did, I'm guessing the soonest we will find out is 2 weeks from now.
Reply 67
studentinexile

They will allocate you a date but you should be able to delay it as long as they are still running etrays..

My e-tray took place in mid-Feb 2008 - it was not delayed or 'amber' but I had simply applied on the last possible date for everything!

Those who are 'amber' for their on-line tests won't find out if they have passed those tests until late december/early Jan anyway.. before they can do/schedule the e-tray.. so you should be fine
Reply 68
studentinexile

As gt94sss2 said, if you apply on the last day, take a week to do the tests you'll be in early Dec. You are unlikely to get an etray until January. Even if it is then you can phone and rearrange it.

As Moley said, call the team to confirm this.
Reply 69
Well that's that done and dusted.. my results are off into the ether. And my hate for verbal/numerical reasoning is renewed.
At least I had fun filling in the feedback questionnaire :biggrin:
Reply 70
Ok, I'm applying. Very doubtful I will get in, my school record isn't amazing and well, I'm just not the type I think they would take. Anyway I have a question, is the self assesment part of the online application taken into account, if you don't pass it is that it? Or is it more of a practice?

And where can I practice, I have never ever been good at maths so I think this will hinder my application to no end.

As someone said when the tories get in the Civil Service is going to be cut greatly, so I really don't hold much hope but as its something I really want to do I thought I'd try.
OK one last time... they don't care about your school record/what uni you went to/whether you got a first at Oxford or a 2.2 at Aberystwyth. As long as you have, or expect to have a 2.2 you're eligible to apply. You have as much chance as anyone else, though I must say that if you go into it expecting to fail then you probably will.
Reply 72
I'm not sure this was answered in the 2008 thread, but I have a question re the verbal reasoning. If it's 40 questions in 20 minutes, does anyone know what the pass mark has been in the past? And if so what's a guaranteed pass and what's an 'amber'?

Any guidance would be great!
Reply 73
Bell85
I'm not sure this was answered in the 2008 thread, but I have a question re the verbal reasoning. If it's 40 questions in 20 minutes, does anyone know what the pass mark has been in the past? And if so what's a guaranteed pass and what's an 'amber'?

Any guidance would be great!

It entirely depends on how well the group does. If the top 30% got 14 or above last year that would have been the pass mark, if the top 30% get 18 o above this year then that will be the pass mark.
Reply 74
I was in the top 15% for verbal reasoning without a lot of practice....is that good or bad?
Reply 75
Also how can I improve on the numerical reasoning test? I am rubbish at maths.
minelli

Practice.
Reply 77
Oh god, I'm never going to get in with my numerical stuff, below the top 45%....this isn't good. I don't know what else to do.
Reply 78
Just did the practice tests....11/15 in numerical (v.pleased with that!) and 28/32 in verbal.
Reply 79
minelli

You could try using one of the many books which are available. I used 'How to pass the civil service qualifying tests'.

It gets mixed reviews on here, but I genuinely believe it's the reason I passed the numerical reasoning test, because it gave me some examples to get my brain in the right gear before doing the actual tests. No need to buy it, it'll be in your uni/local library.

Alternatively, some find practise tests online, but I never had much luck finding any decent ones. But perhaps try the websites of other grad schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending