The Student Room Group

IR Spectroscopy + Triple Bonds = Headache...

As part of a course assignment I have to match an IR Spectroscopy reading with a molecule, but I'm having a bit of trouble with one of them.

One is an alkyne attached to benzene, and the other is a nitrile attached to a benzene. I've had a look in a few text books and websites, but none of them really give a good explanation of how to tell a
alkyne or a nitrile group apart, just that they show up in the same region. :/

I'd be really grateful if someone could explain to me what sort of differences would show up for each. :smile:
Reply 1
fudgestix
As part of a course assignment I have to match an IR Spectroscopy reading with a molecule, but I'm having a bit of trouble with one of them.

One is an alkyne attached to benzene, and the other is a nitrile attached to a benzene. I've had a look in a few text books and websites, but none of them really give a good explanation of how to tell a
alkyne or a nitrile group apart, just that they show up in the same region. :/

I'd be really grateful if someone could explain to me what sort of differences would show up for each. :smile:

Try and read up on the chemical shifts of these since a nitrile group is more electron withdrawing than a simple alkyne.

Latest