The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Halfords have 19 with a battery life of 'up to 5hrs' search results here
but no option to search for battery life longer than this
I have this one but haven't tested the battery life as it's plugged in all the time it's used, but it's one of the up to 5hrs ones
You get a wire to connect to the lighter so it's charging all the way there!
Oh and little tip. Clean the window before you stick it on there, because driving at high speeds on the motorway and a satnav crashing onto the dash is a recipe for cacking ones pants mmmmkay? :biggrin:
Reply 4
it's for a motorbike and we want to avoid messing with the electrics and no windscreen :p:
Reply 6
Talya
it's for a motorbike and we want to avoid messing with the electrics and no windscreen :p:

You can buy these wee battery packs which have a USB socket and you plug it into your satnav this will give you around 9 hours. Other option is a 12v take form your battery, you could make a neat job of having a socket for it to plug into.

Otherwsie you will be hard pushed to find a satnav which is good for 6 hours TBH. My tom tom xl lasts 2-3 hours off the battery

How do you plan to mount it to your bike? There are a couple of bike specific sat navs desgined to be water resistant etc. but they are pricey.

Check this out
http://www.soeasyrider.com/Produits/So-Easy-Rider-V3.php?lang=en
Reply 7
If you have a spare £400 yo can buy the bike sat nav!!

We have bought a givi sat nav bag that mounts on handlebars.

Does anyone have a link to one of those battery packs?? Thanks
Reply 8
Talya

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TomTom-Garmin-SatNav-GPS-External-Battery-Extender-Pack_W0QQitemZ320424956273QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090917?IMSfp=TL090917228005r27376

The idea is you would have the satnav and the battey extender fully charger. The battery pack will then keep the satnav fully charged until it goes flat itself.
Talya

Ooooh I see! eh, not sure then sorry! Never thought of bikers using one before actualy :s-smilie: not sure why though haha.
Talya

Using a car satnav on a bike is a pain in the bum, so bad that i've stopped using it all together. The glare off the bag plus the reflections off the screen make it practically impossible to see during normal riding etc.

You'd still need a bluetooth link to your helmet if you wanted to hear the directions, scala riders are crap, so its autocom, which is mega bucks!

My advice would be buy a proper bike sat nav once, rather than buying the car one, realising its junk then buying a bike one.

Have a look on ebay as they go quite cheaply.

And wiring a 12V accessory socket somewhere near the bars would be an easy peasy job to do :smile:
Reply 11
crazyjoyce
Using a car satnav on a bike is a pain in the bum, so bad that i've stopped using it all together. The glare off the bag plus the reflections off the screen make it practically impossible to see during normal riding etc.

You'd still need a bluetooth link to your helmet if you wanted to hear the directions, scala riders are crap, so its autocom, which is mega bucks!

My advice would be buy a proper bike sat nav once, rather than buying the car one, realising its junk then buying a bike one.

Have a look on ebay as they go quite cheaply.

And wiring a 12V accessory socket somewhere near the bars would be an easy peasy job to do :smile:

In this case I would think carefully before opting for the car route, how much is it going to cost for bag + satnav compared to bike version?

I have seen this kit
http://www.soeasyrider.com/Produits/So-Easy-Rider-V3.php?lang=en

It provides and interesting "air tube" type headphone.
Reply 12
I'm not sure what you mean by 'quite cheap' lol

We just don't have £400 for a bike sat nav, plus connecting to battery too.

Thanks anyway. We gonna go with the Givi case with a garmin and the battery extender :smile:
Reply 13
Also, do you know of any that have an 2.5mm (or would it be 3,5mm?) (i think) audio out?
Reply 14
Talya
Also, do you know of any that have an 2.5mm (or would it be 3,5mm?) (i think) audio out?

It tends to be the older ones which have headphone out, but I don't know of any particular models. 3.5mm is the standard headphone size. Otherwise you could get the air tube which sticks over the speaker and picks up the sound.
Reply 15
How much are air tubes?
Reply 16
I've gone with this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159765

As it def has the audio out and comes with headphones. Also reviews say 4 hrs battery life and the price is awesome!
My son and I went around eu with a car sat nav we bought a cover for it had no problems , wired to battery, with a USB connector. you will have trouble finding a cheep bike sat nav, unless you are going on riding trips for a few years, then it might be worth the investment, all the best.

Latest