The Student Room Group

I hate university :(

Please keep anon or delete.

I started uni this September and I hate it. The degree is nothing like I expected, hardly anything I'm doing is relevent to what I eventually want to go into once I graduate..But even then, I don't even feel like I want a career in this field no more =(

I'm living at home, I lived away last year and despised it so I dropped out. I have to set off at 7am every morning which puts me in a bad mood to start with. I'm really shy (which I hate and am working on, but finding it difficult) and on my degree, it mainly consists of class presentations and debates. I'm actually dreading these and as they don't count to our final mark, I'm just considering not going to them seminars. I don't mind lectures, as I can sit there by myself and scribble down my notes and off home I go. Sods law means seminars have a register but lectures don't.

The thought of going makes me feel so miserable, I feel like crying whenever I think about it. It's making me feel worse as well because if I'd have carried on last year, I'd be in my second year now =( But I have another three to go.

It's just making me so miserable and blah. Does anybody else feel like this?

Scroll to see replies

try and sort out accomodation nearer or at the uni and you could find it better..
Reply 2
emanuel_arsenalfc
try and sort out accomodation nearer or at the uni adn you hould find it better..

It'd make me feel worse! The only comfort is that once I'm out of uni, I can come home. I lived away last year and hated it.
Yes. I know how you feel. I hate uni, I haven't made many friends (YES I have tried/joined socs everything)....its just that because everyone lives in halls and goes out together in the evenings they have already formed little 'cliques' so its hard to 'get your foot in the door'. The intensity of my course and the hard work that it entails is really overwhelming.

All I can say is that you're not alone- there are plenty of others who feel the same way. Stick it, I'm sure it will improve in the next few weeks (well thats what I've been telling myself anyway).
Anonymous

I started uni this September and I hate it. The degree is nothing like I expected, hardly anything I'm doing is relevent to what I eventually want to go into once I graduate..But even then, I don't even feel like I want a career in this field no more =(

I'm living at home, I lived away last year and despised it so I dropped out. I have to set off at 7am every morning which puts me in a bad mood to start with. I'm really shy (which I hate and am working on, but finding it difficult) and on my degree, it mainly consists of class presentations and debates. I'm actually dreading these and as they don't count to our final mark, I'm just considering not going to them seminars. I don't mind lectures, as I can sit there by myself and scribble down my notes and off home I go. Sods law means seminars have a register but lectures don't.

The thought of going makes me feel so miserable, I feel like crying whenever I think about it. It's making me feel worse as well because if I'd have carried on last year, I'd be in my second year now =( But I have another three to go.

do an open university course, then u can do it all from home
Anonymous
It'd make me feel worse! The only comfort is that once I'm out of uni, I can come home. I lived away last year and hated it.

But dont you just really want the degree? That is the only pro-uni thing I have lol.

I commute but not every day at 7am thankfully and I dont think Ill have a career in my subject and hated the lessons so much I contemplated leaving in my second year v.hard. It was also totally unlike the subject I thought it would.

I really think people should get as much experience of what the end job would be in all the subjects theyre interested in and be fully informed - i didnt even know that you could go into marketing without that degree or go into a science degree without science A levels.

You are only a bit into this degree and you may regret giving up on it so early and using up part of your allocated government finances again to drop out.
I felt excatly like this when I started (three weeks ago)
I really questioned whether I should bother with it all. I hated how we were taught, how you learn what you want you learn, how you relied on everyone in your group to do the work, how the course didn't meet my expectations, etc
And to make matters worse -I missed home, my bf, etc but the biggest thing was Im shy. I couldn't contribute in classes, awkward when trying to make friends,etc

Then I gave myself a kick up the backside (not literally!)I thought - I worked really hard to get to where I am now and why waste all that.
The course will start slowly and boring but will pick up pace when you're a few weeks in. You made that decision to do your course and you worked towards it so why let the first few weeks of uni ruin that. Most people WILL be feeling like you, I guarantee that.

The shyness thing - it still haunts me but then most times I try to be confident and say stuff to people. The social events put on by my course made me meet loads of new people who are my friends now and sit with in lectures etc. I even push myself to contribute in lessons and that.

My advice - hang in there. Things WILL get better! You'll meet people who are just like you and you'll have friends for life! Your course will get exciting and you'll be happy!

Good luck!! =)

I have to say, it doesn't help much that you live at home. But try and join some societies,etc (which everyone will tell you to do)
I used to be really shy, too. I'm not quite sure why. I went through a severe bout of insecurity (which I'm probably not through yet) but at some point during 6th form, I realised, why the hell should I care what anybody else thinks? You can't change how you look, and the only way you're going to stop being shy is to talk to people and tell the girls you fancy that you actually fancy them.

So, I did. Alright, so it wasn't good news and it put me down for a while, but after a few weeks it was just another addition to the "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" approach to life. Just sit next to someone in your lectures and talk to them, and get to know that the only people who judge you and laugh at you are inconsiderate pricks who won't get any self satisfaction from their lives, and quite possibly won't even pass their course.

People laughed at me during 6th form (albeit, my mates were really good), and it really got me down. Hell, I'm at uni now and today some bitch that was in my form class in 6th form whispered something to her friends as I walked past (I was alone) and a friend said, "That's bare raw." Oh well. It hurts, but try and take some sort of consolation in the fact that you're better than those people.
Reply 8
Phew I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm already looking into transfers.
Reply 9
Wow, I'm pretty outgoing and talkative, but this thread is making me worry/scared. :-(
Reply 10
Oh no, another non-social TSR member who hates Uni. Just deal with it you haven't been there long, stop asking the internet to sort out your home-made problems.
Well at least the university doesn't hate you back.

Now wouldn't that be awkward when you entered the buildings and they spat you out again :biggrin:
maxfire
Oh no, another non-social TSR member who hates Uni. Just deal with it you haven't been there long, stop asking the internet to sort out your home-made problems.

Then you need to stop telling people what they should and shouldn't do with their free time.

Shouldn't you be about with friends so you can drink until you vomit, take photos of it then add them on facebook to tell us losers how much fun you're having?
Reply 13
wanderlust.xx
Then you need to stop telling people what they should and shouldn't do with their free time.

Shouldn't you be about with friends so you can drink until you vomit, take photos of it then add them on facebook to tell us losers how much fun you're having?

Believe me, I would never do that.
I'm just saying complaining over the internet wont solve anything.
I'm not liking university much so far either. Socially it's good but the rest is poo. I miss home so much and i'm still not getting to grips with the way we are supposed to learn at university. I'm also struggling with getting to grips with the wider reading and i just feel so lonely here. I'm thinking of transferring to a uni closer to home so that I can live there.
Not to be insensitive, but...

Can't people learn to use the search function, and check out the Student Life forum? I'm tired of all these "I don't like drinking, will I be lonely at uni, my housemates are *****" threads. This problem has been had many times. You will get the same advice each time.
Reply 16
Anonymous

Does that mean you already dropped out of uni once?

It seems like you're a bit indecisive about what course you want to do and what university you want to go to. You probably should have taken a gap year, then you would have had more time and it's an excellent oportunity for travelling and getting paid work.

If I were you I'd finish your course, because if you drop out this year it's unlikely that they'll accept you at another university, especially if they find out that you've dropped out twice :frown:

It's not the end of the world though. You've only been at uni for a few weeks now, maybe you just need to settle into your course. If you're really considering leaving your course, at least wait for a month or so.
Anonymous
Yes. I know how you feel. I hate uni, I haven't made many friends (YES I have tried/joined socs everything)....its just that because everyone lives in halls and goes out together in the evenings they have already formed little 'cliques' so its hard to 'get your foot in the door'. The intensity of my course and the hard work that it entails is really overwhelming.

All I can say is that you're not alone- there are plenty of others who feel the same way. Stick it, I'm sure it will improve in the next few weeks (well thats what I've been telling myself anyway).

Yeah me too, but I live in the hall and it is really disappointing, I've visited my friends' room at other unis, they are really great, new and have got evrything they need. Mine is old, ugly more expensive and the students gather in the kitchen evry night and they talk loudly, turn the music, I just don't like it. It's nothing like I expected. I'm really upset :frown:( I just wanna move out to live with my friends as I can't go home :frown:( I miss home so much!
Reply 18
I would also suggest taking a gap year to figure out what it is you want to do. There's no point in pursuing a degree if you don't enjoy the subject and are questioning whether or not you want a career in that field any more. Questioning your future is normal, but if you're serious about not being sure about what you want to do then I'd definitely go for a year or so out.

If you don't want to take a year out then consider having a good look through all your university's courses and seeing if you can switch to something you'd enjoy more (and something that would broaden your career prospects) or alternatively, have a look at transfering unis (something closer to home so you don't have to travel so much, or futher afield so you, again, no more travelling... living away from home would also encourage you to face any shyness you may have, and encourage friend making!).

Approach student support at your uni, they ARE there to help and can be so useful! A lot of people have trouble settling in, it's not uncommon at all, but if you're having major issues (with anything personal, with the course and requirements, anything!) then your first stop should probably be student support.
Reply 19
i hate doing presentations aswell the best thing to do is to just try your best and do the presentations in your seminars

Latest

Trending

Trending