The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2220
Sageevan
What are you applying for?:woo:

Ava91

So, I'm applying for History at Cambridge.

^^ :top: Haha.
fizzicsfiend
Alright. Thanks. I know it's up to me, but I simply can't ignore the advice I've been given... which is why I came here to see what other people think. I don't have the know-how about what admissions tutors may think but someone else might.

Do bear in mind that what someone tells you on the internet could be wrong. :wink:
Would Cambridge consider me if I got 38+ points in IB with the following subjects:

HL Chinese
HL Philosophy/Geography
HL Business & Management

SL Math
SL English
SL Environmental Systems
Would Cambridge consider me if I got 38+ points in IB with the following subjects:

HL Chinese
HL Philosophy/Geography
HL Business & Management

SL Math
SL English
SL Environmental Systems
Reply 2224
For which course?
fizzicsfiend
If they eliminate applications by grades first, which seems logical.

They won't do this unless your grades are terrible and they don't think you're worth an interview, which isn't the case. Once you have an interview, they can base things more off that, and be more lenient with grades if your interview goes well.
Tempeststurm
They won't do this unless your grades are terrible and they don't think you're worth an interview, which isn't the case. Once you have an interview, they can base things more off that, and be more lenient with grades if your interview goes well.

Thanks
Hi, I'm applying for Natural Sciences (Biological). I'm doing the International Baccalaureate and my predicted grades are as follows:

HL Biology - 7
HL Chemistry - 7
HL A1 Eng - 7

SL Math - 7
SL Psychology - 7
SL B French - 7

I'm a bit worried about the fact that I don't take Math HL -- what are the chances, realistically, of me getting an offer with the predicted grades that I have? I understand that not having Math HL is a disadvantage but was hoping that since my focus is on the biological sciences that it may be more pardonable.
likeaballsir
Hi, I'm applying for Natural Sciences (Biological). I'm doing the International Baccalaureate and my predicted grades are as follows:

HL Biology - 7
HL Chemistry - 7
HL A1 Eng - 7

SL Math - 7
SL Psychology - 7
SL B French - 7

I'm a bit worried about the fact that I don't take Math HL -- what are the chances, realistically, of me getting an offer with the predicted grades that I have? I understand that not having Math HL is a disadvantage but was hoping that since my focus is on the biological sciences that it may be more pardonable.

If you can get 44/45 I'm sure they'll be accomodating.

Anyone know if it's a disadvantage to take 5 IGCSE's in the one year rather than take 10 GCSE's over 2 years like most people do in the UK???????

And how many people who've applied to and gotten into Cambridge had 4 or more A-level A's?
Sageevan
What does TOEIC stand for? :smile:

TOEIC = Test Of English for International Communication, as native English speaker it seems normal you never hear about it :smile:.

It's seems that A* A B C D represent your level at school by subject right ? Does it minored or majored by the school you're from ? Translated my result from French System to English system I've got 2 or 3 A* and some A.

Is there a specific place to foreign student to ask questions ?

Thanks in advance.
hi i would really appreciate any advice. Ive completed my a levels with A's in history politics and law. despite my high A's in Politics and Law I only just scraped an A in history with 482/600. At AS i originally gt a B having gained C in unit2 which I resat and moved to an A. should i still apply as Cambridge will know first time round i didnt get an A at AS for history.
Reply 2231
BALFC
hi i would really appreciate any advice. Ive completed my a levels with A's in history politics and law. despite my high A's in Politics and Law I only just scraped an A in history with 482/600. At AS i originally gt a B having gained C in unit2 which I resat and moved to an A. should i still apply as Cambridge will know first time round i didnt get an A at AS for history.

Is it History that you're applying for?
_Fleur_
Is it History that you're applying for?

nope Social and Political sciences
Reply 2233
Beth Angharad
I moved to the other side of the country in January- four months before my GCSE exams. As a result, I didn't do half as well as I could've done; 2 A*'s, an A, 2 B's, a C and 3 D's. I'm going to apply to Cambridge next year, but I think my GCSE results are going to affect my chances of winning a place because there's going to be so much competition from other candidates with better results. I am obviously going to make it clear that I moved schools and had to re-do everything, and take exams on a different exam board to my previous school, but will Cambridge dismiss this, regardless of my circumstances? If anyone has any advice, do let me know :-)

You're at a relatively large disadvantage because of your less-than-excellent (by Cambridge's standards) GCSE grades.
They will affect your application.

Try CSAS?
Hi folks:smile:
Something is bothering me for more than 3 years and it's time to decide.

This is my story:

I'm an 18 years old student living in Belgium. Right now I'm studying mathematics (equivalent to FM or even more advanced) and economics at the highest level available in Belgium. I used to have very good grades (once 99,5 for economics) and sometimes I was the best student at school. All of my teachers know that I'm an intelligent student. I developed a love for economics at a very young age (when) I was 14. Now they call me the school's economist or sometimes financial expert (I've my own investment account with +45% gains). My love for mathematics developed earlier than the one for economics (I was one of school's best in math).

BUT:

Once I've heard about Cambridge (and Harvard), I became very stressed about my grades and my future. I couldn't concentrate anymore and grades declined. Now I'm in the 6th grade (last year) and my grades are still low (I don't feel like studying because I'm confused). My math teacher told me that she knows about my lack of concentration and my abundant stress. I'm only stressed during math exams not during any other exam. So my grades for economics and other subjects (at least if I study) are still good.

Question:

Shall I chase my dream and apply to Cambridge? Will they understand my situation? Will they forget about my grades and look at my potential?
My teachers are willing to write me recommendation letters because they know that I could do a lot more better.

Dilemma:

My ultimate dream is to build a financial model, using the chaos theory, which could explain the stock market's behavior (as a dynamical system). I'm very glad that I love both subjects, mathematics and economics. But my knowledge in economics is more profound than the one in mathematics (although I know a lot about math through reading mathematical introductory books). Shall I apply to economics or mathematics knowing that I'm capable of persuading the economics tutors during an interview (because of my huge background knowledge). But I also don't want to give up mathematics. I really love both :confused: :confused: Which one should I choose (greater chance of getting an offer)?

Thx a lot:wink:
Rémon

P.S I also have a lot of knowledge on politics (I wrote my first political text when I was 10), philosophy (I'm writing a philosophical book: "The Valueless Number" ) literature (I'm a Russian Realism admirer-Dosto, Turgenjev,...) and Physics (I love quantum and relativity). Will they accept someone like me without looking at my grades and only considering my potential:confused:
You may be able to apply through the Cambridge Special Access Scheme:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/forms/csas.pdf
Reply 2237
You've got such a cool name they'll let you in anyway.
EDIT: I'm really not being sarcastic. Angharad rocks.
Would they? Well Oxford don't really care about GCSE results, as long as you have good AS grades and predicted grades and if they liked you at the interview they will take you, regardless of the GCSE results. I didn't know Cambridge was so fussy about GCSEs =S
Like others have said.. Try CSAS.

Latest