The Student Room Group
There are all sorts of conditions for this kind of reaction, I would definitely check with your exam board which they use (either in the spec/past papers/board backed textbooks).

Chemguide says KCN/H2SO4 under basic conditions :smile:
EierVonSatan
There are all sorts of conditions for this kind of reaction, I would definitely check with your exam board which they use (either in the spec/past papers/board backed textbooks).

Chemguide says KCN/H2SO4 under basic conditions :smile:

Thank you. I need to work out how to get from one organic compound to another. I'm stuck with an alkene to a ketone. WOuld the sequence go butene, bromobutane, butanol and then butanonone, or is there a shorter sequence? Thank you
definite_maybe
Thank you. I need to work out how to get from one organic compound to another. I'm stuck with an alkene to a ketone. WOuld the sequence go butene, bromobutane, butanol and then butanonone, or is there a shorter sequence? Thank you

Add H2O across the double bond to make the alcohol, then oxidise :smile:
EierVonSatan
Add H2O across the double bond to make the alcohol, then oxidise :smile:

Thank you. I have a few of these that I'm stuck with. Could you just look over them for me? Thanks.

C2H4 to Propylamine would be C2H4 to bromoethane to propanenitrile to propylamine?

For CH3CH2CHO to polypropene would it be the aldehyde to propanol to propene and then polymerisation.

From 1-propanol to 2-propanol, I have no idea. WOuld you go back to propene, and then?

Thank you for any help. :smile:
definite_maybe
C2H4 to Propylamine would be C2H4 to bromoethane to propanenitrile to propylamine?

Yup :smile:

For CH3CH2CHO to polypropene would it be the aldehyde to propanol to propene and then polymerisation.

:yep:

From 1-propanol to 2-propanol, I have no idea. WOuld you go back to propene, and then?

Yeah, dehydrate then rehydrate :biggrin:
EierVonSatan
Yup :smile:

:yep:

Yeah, dehydrate then rehydrate :biggrin:

Thank you again :smile:

Latest