The Student Room Group

how to find a good college in manchester?

Hi,

We have lived in france for 2.5yrs and we are returning next year. My son will be 16 and he hopes to start in college in Sept 2010. As we have no experience on how to choose a college or he has not had any help from a school careers officer we are trying to find out the best path to take for his future education. These are the courses he would like to take in A level, we have put 4 down, do you take more? or less? We are really out of touch with all of this and i have spent the last 5hrs googling and am really no better off :mad:

Any help would be appreciated!

Computer Systems Technology
Mathematics
French
Digital Arts

Scroll to see replies

Best college in the manchester area is Holy Cross in Bury, which ranks as the 8th State college in the country.

theres always Manchester or Bury Grammar, and I hear Cardinal Langleys 6th form is very good.

In Manchester Centre there is The Manchester College, though I don't think its too brilliant.

You'll flourish wherever you are I'm sure.
Reply 2
Thanks, how did you find out about it rating 8th? have you a link to how colleges are performing?
Reply 3
I have found the league tables and have now narrowed it down to 3 colleges, Sir John Deanes, Xavarian and Loreto

Now to choose which one????:eek:
My cousin goes to Loreto; it's pretty decent (apparently), but bear in mind it's not in the best of areas, and it takes the piss for him to get there on the bus, so you should probably consider how close the colleges are to where you're living
Reply 6
Thanks!

anyone know anything about Sir John Deanes?
I would suggest looking at what courses the colleges offer.

Audenshaw School isn't strictly in Manchester as it falls under the area of Tameside but it is only a short bus ride to the city centre. It has a mixed sixth form which is very well regarded [it was the top comprehensive in the country for A Level results in 2008 for example] with quite strict requirements on entry. However, they offer Computer Science, Maths and French but not Digital Arts so obviously that wouldn't be ideal for your son.

Manchester College offer some good design based courses I think so they may offer Computer System Technology and Digital Arts.

I'd recommend looking at where you will be living and the distance of the colleges from you and, as I mentioned, the courses they offer. It might also be worth considering the type of environment your son will prefer - a strict, school like environment or somewhere with more freedom etc. :smile:
Reply 8
ella2
I have found the league tables and have now narrowed it down to 3 colleges, Sir John Deanes, Xavarian and Loreto

Now to choose which one????:eek:

My brother went to Xavarian and I know people who went to Loreto. I don't have any personal experience of those colleges as I went to a college in Preston but have heard good things about them :smile:

Visited Xavarian once. It was nice, thats all i can say :p:
Reply 9
He has decided on Sir John Deanes or Loreto, and i have contacted them today and they are sending an application pack.

Now to decide on courses, he has chosen French, Maths and Graphic Design. Why do some people choose 3 A levels and others 4??? His goal is to attend uni to do digital media?
Reply 10
ella2
Hi,

Find a good college in manchester

Go out of manchester and move down south?
Reply 11
ella2
He has decided on Sir John Deanes or Loreto, and i have contacted them today and they are sending an application pack.

Now to decide on courses, he has chosen French, Maths and Graphic Design. Why do some people choose 3 A levels and others 4??? His goal is to attend uni to do digital media?

Unis are getting very competitive, I suggest him to do 4
Reply 12
Loreto, Xaverian, Manchester Academy/Grammar (or whatever it's called)?? :dontknow:
Reply 13
Manchester Academy?
You must be joking. Try stretford grammar, it's not bad, I went there after doing a brief stink in manchester academy.

I'm assuming you're talking about mgs, so it's manchester grammar. Best boys school is alty boys and agsb. loretto isnt bad, many of my frieds go there (mostly asian)
Reply 14
If you want the best results at A level a sixth form would prbably be best (personal experience) I would recommend Altrincham boys or if you can afford it Manchester Grammar school.
Reply 15
yh manchester grammar is one of the best independent in country however it is quite expensive but if you are not looking for an independent school altrincham grammar for boys is one of the best. Also I hear st ambrose isnt so bad so that s really it for south manchester.
Hope it helps . :smile:
Sir John Deane's is an amazing college. Go there myself and it really is good. High standards and good support from teachers. I believe it is one of the top 10 in the country :smile: amazing facilities-tennis courts,astro turf thing, right on the river so canoeing an option (and v. popular!!), swimming pool, brand new £28 million building etc. It really is pristine! Go there, not too far from manchester, just less than an hour on the train!
Where did he end up going? :smile:
any suggestions for Oldham Sixth Form college????
Reply 19
i am searching for 1 of the best and top colleges for my son . i want to know the 1 number colleges in manchester . i want the best for my son . where he can make a lovely career and the best studies . please help me .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending