The Student Room Group

People that used to have Acne...

What's your face like now?

I'm 18, had acne since I was around 14 - started around the forehead and it's seemed to move down my face, basically stopped getting it on my forehead now, though I had my first spot in like a year there today. It hasn't really affected my confidence, I just go down the gym a lot to try to make up for it, and I have a girlfriend and she says she doesn't care at all. The point of this thread is just that I want to know what condition my face is gunna end up like, particularly the jaw line where it's quite bad. I really don't fancy having a scarred face for my entire life, but it seems it'll end up like that unless it magically disappears all of a sudden.

Here's where it's worse, please don't click it if you're going to react with "eeewww" or anything like that. It's minging, I know, and I have no nutrition or hygiene issues, my doctor says it's genetic anyway - so to the people that think their smooth skin is a result of their great nutrition and hygiene...you're wrong...and it just pisses us off when you give us this so called "advice".

Acne

Also, I'd prefer not to get advice on what to use to get rid of it. That stuff's only really useful for people that get the odd spot. None of it has ever worked for me, and I don't fancy going on antibiotics again.

PS If you've previously had acne and are about to comment, how bad was it? And how long did it last for?

Thanks.
Reply 1
I had acne aged 15-16, and it cleared up when I finally persuaded the doctor to prescribe me this gel (I'd previously tried anti-biotics and dianette). There's a pic on my profile, but I think my skin's pretty good now. I only have the one scar from a particularly horrific spot, so I guess I was lucky. I've also started using this microdermabrasion thing which seems to be fading the scar slightly.
i had it since 14, 18 now and its completely gone. you would never have known i had acne. and mine was as bad if not worse than yours. i did go on roacutanne (how ever u spell it) for 8 months last year. it was the best thing ive ever tried, but dry lips for 8months was ****.
Reply 3
I was put on roaccutane when I was in year 10 (I think) because my skin was so bad. Now, aged 20, to me, it still looks a bit pock marked and I think my pores are quite large and obvious from where I used to have lots of spots and they've just left me scarred. Other people tell me my skin looks quite clear though so I try not to focus on it - I think it's alright really.
Reply 4
Your acne doenst seem cystic only small dots..I think thats better acne to have..I just get huge sore ones...but sporadic placement.,..you seem to have the little pimples all concentrated

I think that is the better of 2 evils

I had a friend at school like that form 2nd year until I left in 5th year..I saw him recently and his face was as smooth as a babies butt....he had all red pimples all over his face but not huge boil type spots that leave scars etc..
My skin is pretty much perfect. I must say, I was VERY lucky not to have long lasting scarring considering the severity of my acne.
Reply 6
Differin or Retin-A would be the way to go - both are prescription only but very effective in treating acne. As they are topical (ie you apply it to the skin) it's not quite as invasive as something like Roaccutane where you're ingesting it... Either way, you should talk to your doctor about your concerns, there are definitely treatments available that can help clear thing up.
Reply 7
I use retin a..its meant to be good for ageing also
I had tetralysal and it worked wonders. It's been 6 months since my last course of it and I have a little bit of acne coming back but nothing major, so I'm considering asking for one last course and by the time it's over hopefully I'll be all set.
Reply 9
I was on roaccutane too and a few years on my skin is fairly clear with no scars.
Still get the odd spot but am really happy with the results :-)
Reply 10
I think I'm just gunna go to the Doc's, though I hate it and I feel like an absolute pussy when I do. I don't want more scars :frown:
Reply 11
I've had acne since the age of fourteen, although never as severe as yours.

Latest

Trending

Trending