The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2260
Mask Of Sanity
Inquire if they've accepted anyone who's had a B predicted? Something of the sort. A bit late now, but worth a shot. I'd rather hear it from them than people on a forum.

And if they say 'yes'? if they say 'no'? what difference will it make? He's applied now, there's nothing he can do. They might give him an interview or an offer, or they might not. There's no use ringing up.
OhNO!
And if they say 'yes'? what difference will it make? He's applied now, there's nothing he can do. They might give him an interview or an offer, or they might not. There's no use ringing up.

Fair enough. However, even though it may seem pointless, if the OP is anything like I am it'll be something that constantly nags at my mind and if I was in that position I'd want to find out, possibly out of curiosity as was mentioned. If he feels the need to ring. sure, why not. If not, so be it.
You maybe be at a disadvantage against others with A*A*A* predictions, however you still have a chance as maybe they decide to interview you and go surprise them.

Good Luck, now its the waiting game!!
Mask Of Sanity
Fair enough. However, even though it may seem pointless, if the OP is anything like I am it'll be something that constantly nags at my mind and if I was in that position I'd want to find out, possibly out of curiosity as was mentioned. If he feels the need to ring. sure, why not. If not, so be it.

That is EXACTLY how im feeling. This thing will eat me alive until I get my offer/rejection.
jamminjazman
That is EXACTLY how im feeling. This thing will eat me alive until I get my offer/rejection.

Ring them, I'm sure they'll be able to help. I'm assuming they're a friendly bunch. :laugh:
I guess you could always ask if they've given anyone an offer before who's been predicted a B, albeit that the offer may have needed an A in that subject.
areyousure?
You maybe be at a disadvantage against others with A*A*A* predictions, however you still have a chance as maybe they decide to interview you and go surprise them.

Good Luck, now its the waiting game!!

Noticing your academics, those are exactly the same ASs I took. :awesome:
And exactly the same GCSE grades minus the A.
Reply 2266
Mask Of Sanity

Why not ring? Well, maybe because Cambridge admissions office and admissions tutors are probably quite busy at the moment. Whatever their answer, it's not going to make any difference whatsoever so why ring them up and bother them?
OhNO!
Why not ring? Well, maybe because Cambridge admissions office and admissions tutors are probably quite busy at the moment. Whatever their answer, it's not going to make any difference whatsoever so why ring them up and bother them?

He may want to know and that which is bothering him may become somewhat less.
Reply 2268
Mask Of Sanity
He wants to know and that which is bothering him may become somewhat less.

Seems like a waste of everyone's time to me. They're going to have to spend their time answering a pointless question, and he'll get an answer which won't change his situation one iota. Worrying about your UCAS application is a problem everyone has, it's not really a problem to be fixed.
Reply 2269
Yeah I'd have thought so to be honest, you don't meet their academic requirements :s-smilie:

Might be wrong here, but don't Cambridge also send you an extra form to fill in so that they know your module grades from AS as well? I was under the impression they look for a high A in every module.
Reply 2270
Phoning is a waste of everyone's time. The admissions staff won't be able to tell him that. He'll find out in the very near future when he either gets a letter inviting him to interview, or doesn't.

Re: chances - cambridge do accept people with less than perfect grades. If you wrote a good PS, you may well get an interview. If you have a great interview, you may get an offer, B grade notwithstanding. You're at a disadvantage of course, but are given the opportunity to overcome and it and convince them anyway.
OhNO!
Seems like a waste of everyone's time to me. They're going to have to spend their time answering a pointless question, and he'll get an answer which won't change his situation one iota. Worrying about your UCAS application is a problem everyone has, it's not really a problem to be fixed.

I'm sure the phone call or whatever method he uses to contact them won't take all that long. :wink:

Edit: Actually, strike what I've said, with regards to the above post stating they cannot tell him that piece of information. :yep:
lekky
Yeah I'd have thought so to be honest, you don't meet their academic requirements :s-smilie:

Might be wrong here, but don't Cambridge also send you an extra form to fill in so that they know your module grades from AS as well? I was under the impression they look for a high A in every module.

Yep. The SAQ.
Reply 2273
Email them and explain that you believe your prediction was wrong.
annab1684
I don't know these things but wouldn't the fact that you're effectively only doing Maths and Physics be a bit of an issue?
:s-smilie:

He's effectively doing Maths, Further Maths, and Physics.
Give it a shot, you never know...

Good luck!
Reply 2276
Probably not. I mean Cambridge do preffer A*AA, but they will most likely invite you for an interview and see what happens from there. If you mentioned something on your SAQ about that B discrepancy then it should be fine.

If you do well at interview they may give you a conditional of A*AA.

Hope all goes well.
Monforzh
Probably not. I mean Cambridge do preffer A*AA, but they will most likely invite you for an interview and see what happens from there. If you mentioned something on your SAQ about that B discrepancy then it should be fine.

If you do well at interview they may give you a conditional of A*AA.

Hope all goes well.

I still havent sent my SAQ off (it practically only needs the photo). can you suggest something suitable to say? I am at a loss as of how I can justify this claim with a professional and an AS grade which says otherwise :frown:
Reply 2278
jamminjazman
I still havent sent my SAQ off (it practically only needs the photo). can you suggest something suitable to say? I am at a loss as of how I can justify this claim with a professional and an AS grade which says otherwise :frown:

Bloody hell. SAQ deadline is tomorrow.

Just say something simple and honest. Like, "Although I have been predicted a B for my subject, I will undertake and strive to get a mark that is to the best of my abilities." Try not to make too much allusion to the grades, because although grades are everything at the application stage, they are not that imortant at the interview/test stage.

Cambs is not out to eat you alive, and will most likely give you an interview. They always give waaay more interviews than spaces available.

If something pops into my head, I will see what I can send to you.

Hope this helps!
Sorry to hijack but is there anybody else who can't log on to their SAQ form right now?

Latest