The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Monforzh
Bloody hell. SAQ deadline is tomorrow.

Just say something simple and honest. Like, "Although I have been predicted a B for my subject, I will undertake and strive to get a mark that is to the best of my abilities." Try not to make too much allusion to the grades, because although grades are everything at the application stage, they are not that imortant at the interview/test stage.

Cambs is not out to eat you alive, and will most likely give you an interview. They always give waaay more interviews than spaces available.

If something pops into my head, I will see what I can send to you.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion, sounds good. :biggrin:

ghanglish, i can sign on fine, must just be you :frown:
Very strange. Maybe they've just rejected me already..lol.

"No need for the SAQ. We can tell already that we don't like you!"
ghanglish
Very strange. Maybe they've just rejected me already..lol.

"No need for the SAQ. We can tell already that we don't like you!"

lol, somehow that wouldn't surprise me....
oh wait, let me get my crystal ball out and give Mystic Meg a call.

But srsly how are we meant to know, just wait, celebrate, or comiserate.
jamminjazman
For my A2 predictions, i have been given an A* in maths, an A in physics, but only a B in further maths. I tried to persuade my further maths teacher to predict me an A but i'd done badly on the AS paper (somehow, i didnt even see there WAS a 12 mark question 7 until after the paper). Anyway, I already applied (to engineering) due to the deadline, but id just like to know out of curiosity. Thanks!
I don't think your chances are good, to be honest. It wouldn't surprise me if you got an interview, but I think you'd have to do exceptionally well in it to get an offer.

I suspect from a Cambridge perspective, they'd still expect you to get an A even if you did miss a 12 mark question - it's not a huge amount averaged over 3 papers. That your teacher is only predicting a B doesn't help your cause.
Reply 2285
I think having a low AS mark on your Further maths - will hurt you more.

If you haven't got 90% in your modules in AS, it will be pretty hard to get an offer.
Reply 2286
My school offers further maths, but I haven't done it. I got high A grades in physics, computing and maths (mechanics) at AS level - all averaging over 90%, though only physics technically an "A*"

I've also got a B in AS ICT, and A in general studies (super useful). I'm doing an AS in further maths this year with my A2 levels - FP1, D1, D2

What are my chances for engineering? they accommodate for people who haven't done further maths, but I think that's meant to be for people whose schools don't offer it. how badly will this hurt my chances?
Right, I'm now slightly regretting my decision to apply for Cambridge, because I joined this site about five minutes after sending off my SAQ and looking at all the other applicants GCSE results has sent me into an absolute frenzy of doubt.

I've never really been able to get a decisive answer into how much they look at GCSE results. Mine were less than stellar, but I'm fairly confident that my personal statement is good quality, as will be my essay, and I got three A's (two of which I think were well in the right boundary to have been A* - it's supposed to be above 90%, right?) and a B at AS. I'm prediced A*A*A this year.

Another cause to worry, though, because from what I can see a lot of people are doing four A2's.

Have I aimed a bit too high, here?

(Not that a reply will help either way now that I've applied but I want to ask so I know whether to have relative peace of mind or if it's time to start preparing for rejection.)
sophiasunshine
Right, I'm now slightly regretting my decision to apply for Cambridge, because I joined this site about five minutes after sending off my SAQ and looking at all the other applicants GCSE results has sent me into an absolute frenzy of doubt.

I've never really been able to get a decisive answer into how much they look at GCSE results. Mine were less than stellar, but I'm fairly confident that my personal statement is good quality, as will be my essay, and I got three A's (two of which I think were well in the right boundary to have been A* - it's supposed to be above 90%, right?) and a B at AS. I'm prediced A*A*A this year.

Another cause to worry, though, because from what I can see a lot of people are doing four A2's.

(Not that a reply will help either way now that I've applied but I want to ask so I know whether to have relative peace of mind or if it's time to start preparing for rejection.)

Cambridge do look at GCSE results, but AS scores are more important. If you got bad results at GCSEs, a good interview can still definately get you an offer (as it does for many people).

4 A2s is only really an advantage for subjects where Further Maths may be preferred. If you're doing an Arts subject, 3 is fine.
sophiasunshine

What were GCSE results?
Sageevan
What were GCSE results?

English - A*
Art & Design - A*
English Literature - A
Religious Studies - A
Science - A
Additional Science - B
Graphic Products - B
Mathematics - B
German - C
ICT - Pass (Equivalent of 2 C's)
Reply 2291
Hey peoples!! Has anyone got an interview date yet?
x
Reply 2292
Anjum
Hey peoples!! Has anyone got an interview date yet?
x

<biting nails> nop...when are we likely to be called for an interview?
But good A-Levels?

If you want my GCSE's then tell me in this thread and I'll message you because i don't want them on public showing.

The course is Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic.

UCAS Code: QQ59.
Reply 2294
Hmm, how are we supposed to answer that if you don't tell us what they are? By 'terrible' you could mean D's and E's or A's and B's...
I wouldn't worry too much about your GCSE's however, I doubt they're that bad, and Cambridge aren't too picky about them anyway.
"Terrible" is very subjective; can't you at least give us a ballpark indication of how "terrible" they are?
Biological Warfare

If you want my GCSE's then tell me in this thread and I'll message you because i don't want them on public showing.

Oh get a grip.
Biological Warfare
But good A-Levels?

The course is Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic.

UCAS Code: QQ59.

There is a dedicated 'sticky' at the top of the forum for issues such as this. Nevertheless, the application procedure is highly variable, between the applications' tutor, the Director of Studies, the collegiate board and the Matriculation board. I can tentatively say, however, that while Cambridge does require a solid academic biography, exceptions can be made to this rule. I have yet to meet a student at Cambridge with poorer GCSEs than my own, for instance, yet I did not seem to have any specific problems in applying (my A-Levels, however, met and exceeded the standard expectations of the university). As I said, it is highly variable.
It's possible. If your A levels are good and your interview goes well then your GCSEs won't be a big problem. You might be asked about them at interview, or you might have to do slightly better at interview than someone with good GCSEs, but it's still worth applying.
Reply 2299
I had A*AABBCD at GCSE, I doubt yours are much worse.

Latest