The Student Room Group

RS: All exam boards! Religion + Human Experience (AEA related)

Right, I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on the kind of thing that is being looked for in part two of the following questions, i.e. the Religion and Human Experience ones, as I have never studied the religion & human experience topic.

Just any general take on it / specific suggestions welcome :smile:

Cheers,

ZarathustraX

--------------------------------
--------------------------------

Uummmmm...ok I was going to paste the qs here, but they turn into gibberish when copied from pdf! Here is the link: http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/25979.pdf
And I was referring specifically to part ii of the questions on pages TEN and TWELVE :smile:
Reply 1
Zarathustra
Right, I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on the kind of thing that is being looked for in part two of the following questions, i.e. the Religion and Human Experience ones, as I have never studied the religion & human experience topic.

Just any general take on it / specific suggestions welcome :smile:

Hey Ema,
I've studied very little religous philosophy I'm afraid so I'm not entirely sure what I can say. The nature of part (i) as a sort of source analysis would suggest to me that part (ii) is more concerned with using the source material as a springboard to discuss more generally and at length the sorts of topics they are concerned with- so evidence for a correct moral system and life after death respectively- with particular regard to the consequences for Religion and human thinking in these kinds of areas.

So perhaps looking at something like (and I'm going on just the little I know) Subjective Vs Objective morality, the Euthyphro dilemma (Does morality come from God or through God?), the value/usefulness of ethical discussion, perhaps the Is/ought Gap.

In terms of life after death I know even less... perhaps proofs/disproofs of the existence of the soul, near death experiences, reincarnation, the Resurrection of Christ, and then with relation to that: Hume's On Miracles etc.

I'm sure there is a lot more an actual student of the subject could say, I'm coming at this from a very philosophical rather than RS point of view so the material is probably only partially relevent though I guess you'd get some point for broadness.

But yeah, primarily I'd have said they are looking for you to discuss the issues raised in a wider context of the philosophical discussion around the world on the topic.
Best I can do really,
Sorry
Reply 2
Thanks Calvin!

I hope you're right on that - reckon (provided the extract isn't hideous!) I should be able to discuss the issues raised in a 'wider context of philosophical discussion' etc. I was just thrown by the human experience bit; figured it might be something awkward like discussing implications of a belief in life after death for experiences in this life or something equally non-philosophical / dull :rolleyes: Ditto the religion stuff!

Aaargh. I know I stand no chance of passing this, but hopefully it'll at least be fun like the psych one was!!

Any other ideas anyone: keep 'em coming :wink:

Cheers,

ZarathustraX
Reply 3
Zarathustra
Thanks Calvin!

I hope you're right on that - reckon (provided the extract isn't hideous!) I should be able to discuss the issues raised in a 'wider context of philosophical discussion' etc. I was just thrown by the human experience bit; figured it might be something awkward like discussing implications of a belief in life after death for experiences in this life or something equally non-philosophical / dull :rolleyes: Ditto the religion stuff!

Perhaps they do want that awkward stuff, 'human experience'... don't really know, it's very vague. Perhaps your best bet would just be to pick out a couple of points made in the extract and then talk a little about the philsophical and Religous issues surrounding them, and then go back and pick out the next point- to keep yourself on topic. There probably is a danger of wandering off into philosophy rather than the specific issues raised in the text but it's always going to be a gauntlet between being on topic and demonstrating wider knowledge and getting marks. It's an AEA, it doesn't count too much so good luck and enjoy it I guess. Find something you want to talk about.

Latest

Trending

Trending