The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lucy King
I don't understand why they can't come to some kind of "rule" regarding the lack of uniform, as I say we have people in SM/ASM blouses, shirts, people in black shirts from the intermim uniform with a green apron. It's just madness at the moment!

They may as well just start to role out the new business dress early just so branches are at least wearing some kind of correct uniform.

The Christmas Aprons this year are the same as the 2008 one's they have a Pear Tree on and have "Merry Christmas" under that. We have got to wear them from 1st - 24th December at my branch due to the uniform issues, they are quite long which will be a bit of a issue oh.

my branch were meant to be getting the new uniform but the supplier went bust and now the we have problems with the old supplier for new uniform, so our branch manager said it would be approx 3 months untill we get it (said this in morning meeting on tuesday).

that means 30 days till we get aprons, that is cool.
Reply 2001
Leighthesim
my branch were meant to be getting the new uniform but the supplier went bust and now the we have problems with the old supplier for new uniform, so our branch manager said it would be approx 3 months untill we get it (said this in morning meeting on tuesday).

If your branch wants you to wear them that is, have you seen the picture of them? They are quite long. You would probably do better with a standard green one.
Leighthesim

I wonder if we will get Christmas Aprons at my branch, or if we will be stuck with the black one's.
Lucy King
Me modelling one last year.... they are the same this year

they look alright, am likely to kneel on it though, but i will find out if my branch is wearing them soon i should think, i wouls think we are since they will want us to have something the same, and since most people don't have full uniform i would think they would have us wearing them.
Reply 2004
Leighthesim
they look alright, am likely to kneel on it though, but i will find out if my branch is wearing them soon i should think, i wouls think we are since they will want us to have something the same, and since most people don't have full uniform i would think they would have us wearing them.

Your branch will have them already in storage somewhere, I know we do. Last year they were "strongly encouraged" but this year I beleive that they will want them worn like you say at least everyone will wear the same.
Reply 2005
Leighthesim
we don't have them on access, we have to ask for them, so only the oldies wear them, i would probally wear one if other people my age wore them. i keep gettin stuff down my skirt- and got milk down the sleeve of my body warmer yesterday (was filling it up and dripped it down)

I finished my stuff early today from fresh (done all that was left for me) and was helping on ambient, i have found out that i am absolutley hopeless in the dry goods isles, and the lack of stock rotation was just scary.

I still like my green stripy apron oh, I'll miss it when we just get plain cream one's!
Lucy King
I still like my green stripy apron oh, I'll miss it when we just get plain cream one's!

i thought the srpons in the new uniform were black/charcole grey?? with waitrose and our branch on them.
Reply 2007
Leighthesim
i thought the Aprons in the new uniform were black/charcole grey?? with waitrose and our branch on them.

Sorry I don't know why I said cream, they are more charcol gray than cream!
Lucy King
Sorry I don't know why I said cream, they are more charcol gray than cream!

no worries, just confused me, since all that i have seen of the new unform is the new branches wearing the uniforms in the chronicle,
Hi, Ive been viewing this thread for ages, and it has been soo useful, and helpful throughout the interview process, thank you Lucy and Leigh in particular.

I have my first shift tonight at Waitrose. I have been given a black blouse, and a green apron/tabard thing to wear for the time being. (The branch wears the old uniform) bit of a strange combination but hey ho.

They have said that there is issues with the supply of uniform at the moment, and nothing else, Im working on Dry Goods.

The person who did my induction said that the branch was going to be among the first to get the new uniform, so I may not receive any proper stuff until then.

Im actually quite nervous, it is my first proper job.
xxKirstyxxPauldingxx
Hi, Ive been viewing this thread for ages, and it has been soo useful, and helpful throughout the interview process, thank you Lucy and Leigh in particular.

I have my first shift tonight at Waitrose. I have been given a black blouse, and a green apron/tabard thing to wear for the time being. (The branch wears the old uniform) bit of a strange combination but hey ho.

They have said that there is issues with the supply of uniform at the moment, and nothing else, Im working on Dry Goods.

The person who did my induction said that the branch was going to be among the first to get the new uniform, so I may not receive any proper stuff until then.

Im actually quite nervous, it is my first proper job.

First of all, waitrose is my first job too, and i am loving it, everyone is really nice and you will likely be with someone else for your first shift or two so don't worry they will guide you through all the processes you need to know.

As for uniform, all the branches wearing old uniform are having problems, most are saying to new partners to wear shirt and blakc trousers and they are being given either body warmers or aprons or tabards or something, what ever happens to be going spare, my branch is also going to be one of the first to get new uniform and our branch manager said it will be about 3 months till we get it so unless they find you some old uniform you will likely be in the black shirt and tabard for a while, (you could get the christmas apron though)
I think the black shirt is an interim one which should be worn with a black apron, but as the branch has got the old uniform, they haven't got those! So it looks like it's going to be the black shirt and a stripey apron for the time being.

I presume I am supposed to wear the apron at full height and not just round my waist?
xxKirstyxxPauldingxx
I think the black shirt is an interim one which should be worn with a black apron, but as the branch has got the old uniform, they haven't got those! So it looks like it's going to be the black shirt and a stripey apron for the time being.

I presume I am supposed to wear the apron at full height and not just round my waist?

They probally gave you a black one so that you had a uniform shirt,- they are giving all the guys white ASM ones in my branch at the moment- it is really quite confusing. AS for the apron i do believe if you are wearing one they do have to be full height.
Leighthesim
They probally gave you a black one so that you had a uniform shirt,- they are giving all the guys white ASM ones in my branch at the moment- it is really quite confusing. AS for the apron i do believe if you are wearing one they do have to be full height.

If I have a black uniform shirt do I need to still wear the apron then? Although the rest of the branch had the patterned blouses.
xxKirstyxxPauldingxx
If I have a black uniform shirt do I need to still wear the apron then? Although the rest of the branch had the patterned blouses.

I think they will properly want you to wear the apron, i would ask your SM, but as your on the shop floor they need a way to distinguish you from the customers, but the apron will protect the rest of your clothes, so always good to wear it- alot of people who wear them on hear say they are a god send- i however just have my normal uniform and body warmer and the amount of stuff i have got down my body wamer and skirt i wish i had got an apron, cause the body warmers are really hard to wash.
Reply 2015
Leighthesim
I think they will properly want you to wear the apron, i would ask your SM, but as your on the shop floor they need a way to distinguish you from the customers, but the apron will protect the rest of your clothes, so always good to wear it- alot of people who wear them on hear say they are a god send- i however just have my normal uniform and body warmer and the amount of stuff i have got down my body wamer and skirt i wish i had got an apron, cause the body warmers are really hard to wash.

Yup the aprons are a god send, they are soo useful, Leigh I don't see why you don't get hold of one. They save all the stuff being spilt down you!

Im so glad there being introduced as compulsory with the new uniform.

Kirsty: You will have to wear the greeen apron with the black shirt as your branch is not wearing the black uniform. The green apron will probably be being worn by other people in your branch.
Leighthesim

Thanks Leigh , I have just finished my first shift, it was ok. The SM has got me a Tabard to wear instead, as the apron is really long on me. I have to wear that until 1st December when I can have a Christmas Apron if I want.

They said that it was very unlikely that I will be able to have the old uniform, due to issues.
i had a group interview at waitrose in late august, i got an email saying they want to invite me for a second interview, i still haven't had it because 'my application is on hold', i have been on hold for about 2 months now and not heard ANYTHING. anyone else had this kinda problem?! its really frustrating!!
katiethehobbit
i had a group interview at waitrose in late august, i got an email saying they want to invite me for a second interview, i still haven't had it because 'my application is on hold', i have been on hold for about 2 months now and not heard ANYTHING. anyone else had this kinda problem?! its really frustrating!!

I had a group interview in August as well, been to about 3 more interviews but my application is put on hold because there is an issue with suitable timings for me. Kept contacting personnel manager to see the whereabouts of my job status; hopefully might get a job before Christmas so i've been told.
Why don't you contact them about your application?
Reply 2019
katiethehobbit

I suggest that you phone the personell manager at the branch. If they have dione all the recruitment you may not get a second interview.

Latest