The Student Room Group

LSE, UCL, King's Law application

GCSE: 11A*S 1A
AS: BBCC (maths, biology, economics, latin)

I had been predicted all A's for my AS results.
But I moved school for 6th form and had trouble settling in.
I achieved AAAB in my january AS exams, so when I got my June results I was shocked.
I hadn't realised how badly I had done.
My June module results were poor ranging from B's~D's.

I'm retaking most of my june modules, one in every subject to get these up to the A's that they should have been.

Before my results, I was planning on applying to Oxford, but obviously that's out the window.

I'm applying for:
LSE - BSC Anthropology and Law
LSE - LLB Law
UCL - Law
King's -Law

Do you think I have any chance of getting any offers this year?
Would I have a better chance next year with my A2 results? and could I try to apply for Oxford law?

Reading people's status updates on facebook about getting offers..is starting to make me nervous. Right now my confidence in getting into any uni is :s-smilie:
Reply 1
with B's and C's at A-level i doubt that you will get into any of the London unis, i personally think you will improve your grades at A2 levels, so as long as you could get your B to an A's at A2 level you could have a chance of goin to one of the london unis, but oxford may be a little hard because they will check you As levels and when they see B's and C's they would reject you, because they reject people who get Straight A all their life. i hope this helps.
Reply 2
Hi,

Well you could give it a chance provided your predicted AAA and also wow u got 11 A* at GCSE thats amazing:smile:
I only got 5A* AND 5A, hoping to apply to KCL, UCL, QMUL
I was thinking about applying to LSE for Anthropology and Law but all my other choices are pure LLB based?!
Do you think ill stand a chance for LSE, however, there is little on my ps that indicates my desire to study anthropology. It's mainly law basedd!!!!!
Reply 3
You've got great GCSEs so don't sell yourself short - you're obviously capable.

But I won't lie about those AS level results, they will definitely hold you back if your teachers use them to predict your A-level grades. If you can still be predicted AAA then you should definitely apply to London and even Oxford but I have a feeling that your school has turned down that request based on your AS scores right?

If I was you, I would apply after next year with a high prediction and those awesome GCSEs to Oxford and London with confidence. :wink: As I said, don't sell yourself short mate.
Reply 4
DJkG.1
You've got great GCSEs so don't sell yourself short - you're obviously capable.

But I won't lie about those AS level results, they will definitely hold you back if your teachers use them to predict your A-level grades. If you can still be predicted AAA then you should definitely apply to London and even Oxford but I have a feeling that your school has turned down that request based on your AS scores right?

If I was you, I would apply after next year with a high prediction and those awesome GCSEs to Oxford and London with confidence. :wink: As I said, don't sell yourself short mate.

This but no harm in trying for this year.
Reply 5
Jinxy
This but no harm in trying for this year.

No but I was working on the assumption that the OP's predicted grades are considerably lower than what he thinks he deserves and is capable of. BBCC at AS doesn't usually lead to AAA or AAB which are generally the lowest predictions that LSE, UCL or KCL will consider.
Reply 6
DJkG.1
No but I was working on the assumption that the OP's predicted grades are considerably lower than what he thinks he deserves and is capable of. BBCC at AS doesn't usually lead to AAA or AAB which are generally the lowest predictions that LSE, UCL or KCL will consider.

I do agree with you. :smile:
hmmm, you are obviously capable given your GCSE's
but regardless, your choices are really stupid given your AS's and 5 rejections is quite likely. You really should have chosen some kind of insurance. as others have suggested, make sure you do get them up and then apply next year.
Reply 8
I agree about the insurance, you should have had one...
Reply 9
I'm sorry to hear that things didn't quite go to plan for you! You're clearly capable of achieving these top grades; I believe the legal term would be res ipsa loquitur. :wink:

Unfortunately, you have chosen universities that have extremely competitive entrance criteria; they receive multiple applications per place, most of which will have achieved straight A grades at AS and will be predicted a full bunch of A grades at A2.

If it isn't too late, I would substitute one of your highly prestigious places for a rather more realistic university! You can do this on UCAS Track if your application has already been sent off, I believe?

All the best anyway, you're clearly capable of great things. The only alternative I can suggest is that you take a gap year and apply once you've got your full set of A grades at A2; that way you can reconsider Oxbridge and your other universities won't seem quite so foolish, instead rather plausible!
Reply 10
Thanks for the comments.
In January I got AAAB for my modules, I know I've got a lot to work on this january and june but at least i've got those results to give me some support for this year.
I spoke to my teachers straight away and they understand too that I had a lot on my hands at the end of the year. At least I've shown them what I can do if I really focus, so hopefully there's some trust in that I can do well in the end.
I'm not sure what my predicted grades are, but when I spoke to my referee about taking a year out completely he strongly advised that I apply this year because I may have a 'chance'- meaning a set of good predicted grades?
Like you've all said, I should put in an insurance university, but most of these universities are the ones that I would have applied to before my grades took a down turn. So this year for me it's more of a gamble rather than really securing a place to go to university next year.
Considering the competition and perfect grades others will have, I know that my chances are very slim, so i'm preparing to make plans for a year out. Nonetheless there's nothing to lose in taking the risk this year I guess.
kyl_11
Thanks for the comments.
In January I got AAAB for my modules, I know I've got a lot to work on this january and june but at least i've got those results to give me some support for this year.
I spoke to my teachers straight away and they understand too that I had a lot on my hands at the end of the year. At least I've shown them what I can do if I really focus, so hopefully there's some trust in that I can do well in the end.
I'm not sure what my predicted grades are, but when I spoke to my referee about taking a year out completely he strongly advised that I apply this year because I may have a 'chance'- meaning a set of good predicted grades?
Like you've all said, I should put in an insurance university, but most of these universities are the ones that I would have applied to before my grades took a down turn. So this year for me it's more of a gamble rather than really securing a place to go to university next year.
Considering the competition and perfect grades others will have, I know that my chances are very slim, so i'm preparing to make plans for a year out. Nonetheless there's nothing to lose in taking the risk this year I guess.

Absolutely, with your academics up until the summer exams, you would have likely got 3-4 offers minimum. Unfortunately didnt work out, but dont go to a law school you wont be happy at. Take a shot, and get your A's at A2, then reapply and im sure you'll get all your offers
Reply 12
I've just found out that i've been predicted A*AA for my A2's. Now hopefully I have a slightly better chance in even getting considered by universities.
Reply 13
kyl_11
I've just found out that i've been predicted A*AA for my A2's. Now hopefully I have a slightly better chance in even getting considered by universities.

Does your school certificate AS results? I don't want to read the whole thread, sorry if you've said already.

If you got BBCC at AS and predicted A*AA they are going to smell a rat.
Reply 14
riiight.
Does your school certificate AS results? I don't want to read the whole thread, sorry if you've said already.

Unfortunately, I must concur! :frown:
Reply 15
I've had all my AS certificated. They're all down on UCAS as well.
I got AAAB in january modules,so my teachers know what i'm capable of, I just struggled to keep a balance of things towards the end of the year, as I was trying to do all my SATs for American unis as well.
Reply 16
i am currently at essex uni doing 4 year international exchange law course in my first year, when i first applied for uni's i applied for international exchange courses purely on the basis of going to hk to study for a year, at the moment i don't really like this uni and my motivation of going to hk is going out the window as i don't want to stay just to do a year in hkong, as i can go when ever i want realistically. i am planning to apply for lse to do anthropology and law as it is a better uni and i like the fact that it's not purely law, it's more interesting to do two things at once, and it's in london, i have AAB at a2 already and wonder what are the chances if i apply now in getting in,
Reply 17
riiight.

can i ask what subject combinations you took at a level
Your GCSEs are incredible, though BBCC is obviously an issue. Do you have (major) extenuating circumstances?

I'm also planning on appling to KCL, and though i only got A BB CCCCCC DDD at GCSE (horrible state comprehensive) i got AAB(only 1.5% off AAA, i'm retaking Lit) at AS, and should get AAAb (i'm adding history AS) this year.

I do feel i haven't a hope in hell because of my GCSEs though.

Do universities like Kings look at what the average results were at your secondary school at all? I did better than average there, though far, far below what i imagine any other applicants will have :frown:
kyl_11

:lolwut: my college was iffy about predicting me AAAb based on AAB; how can you seriously be predicted A*AA with BBCC? is that even possible?

Latest

Trending

Trending