The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medical Applicants 2010 thread

Nottingham Offer holders:

streamline - 8th Jan 2010
Muddy91 - 9th Jan 2010
floboe - 9th Jan 2010
matt^ - 9th Jan 2010

Made Nott's your firm? Click here for the Official Nottingham Medic Freshers facebook group!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have seen a lot of threads for the Nottingham questionnaire, so I thought it would be good to have a thread for general chat and questions about the university.

This year approx. 2500 applicants applied for 249 places.
750-800 people will be invited for interview.
Expect interview invites/first interview dates around the 16th Nov!

Here are some pictures to get you going :p:

Scroll to see replies

It's huuuuuuuuuuuuge :h:
RoadWarrior
It's huuuuuuuuuuuuge :h:

And so pretty :gigg:
Reply 3
o_O ooh prtty pics. Dunno if I'll get in there though, my questionnaire made it painfully obvious to me taht I don't have much work experience / voluntary work. I hope so though! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Nott's is a first choice for me :biggrin: Anyone else?
finally, a Nottingham medicine applicants thread. Nottingham is my first choice and I really want to get in (I like the integrated BMedSci and I live about 10 mins. walk from the med school)

Does anyone know how Nottingham score the UKCAT, GCSEs, personal statement and the questionnaire? It seems really ambigious to me.
Reply 6
I really liked it at the open day! Very nice, campus.

And to the above, I don't think anyone actually knows the weightings that they give to each part of your application.
Reply 7
Hydromancer
finally, a Nottingham medicine applicants thread. Nottingham is my first choice and I really want to get in (I like the integrated BMedSci and I live about 10 mins. walk from the med school)

Does anyone know how Nottingham score the UKCAT, GCSEs, personal statement and the questionnaire? It seems really ambigious to me.

they look at each section of ukcat, top 8 gcses and a panel score your personal statement. Then interview top 750-800.
Reply 8
Yes, no one knows the weightings or how they are scored really. I did ask once but they said they couldn't tell me. :s-smilie:
thanks people...good luck to us all...at least I should get a good score in the gcses
Reply 10
Hydromancer
thanks people...good luck to us all...at least I should get a good score in the gcses

I think you will find that most people have a high proportion of A* of their top 8.
HotCoco.
Yes, no one knows the weightings or how they are scored really. I did ask once but they said they couldn't tell me. :s-smilie:

Because they didn't know.. or because they'd have to kill you afterwards? :p:
Reply 12
RoadWarrior
Because they didn't know.. or because they'd have to kill you afterwards? :p:

I prefer the former. :biggrin:
Reply 13
I just rung up the university today.
2500 applicants applied this year for medicine for about 249 places.
750-800 will be invited for interview.
She also said we should be expecting interview invites around the 16th Nov.

I'll also post the stats in the first post. :biggrin:
HotCoco.
I just rung up the university today.
2500 applicants applied this year for medicine for about 249 places.
750-800 will be invited for interview.
She also said we should be expecting interview invites around the 16th Nov.

I'll also post the stats in the first post. :biggrin:

Thanks for the info HotCoco. I think last year they got around 2100 applications. This year it's a massive 19% increase, compared to the 13.7% increase in medical applicants this year according to UCAS. We can expect tough competition certainly. They will be interviewing 30-32% of the applicants.

Did you by any chance ask whether the invites sent around 16th Nov. be for interviews in Nov/Dec or will they include the Jan/Feb interviews as well. Also, does anyone know when Nottingham send rejections to those not short-listed for interview.

Edit: One of my friends who applied to Nottingham but failed to get in has told me that Nottingham divide the UKCAT score of applicants into quartiles with the students in the top quartile getting the most marks and those in the bottom quartile getting the least marks. I'm not sure they mark it this way but this is what I have heard
Reply 15
Hydromancer
Thanks for the info HotCoco. I think last year they got around 2100 applications. This year it's a massive 19% increase, compared to the 13.7% increase in medical applicants this year according to UCAS. We can expect tough competition certainly.

Did you by any chance ask whether the invites sent around 16th Nov. be for interviews in Nov/Dec or will they include the Jan/Feb interviews as well. Also, does anyone know when Nottingham send rejections to those not short-listed for interview.

*panic* :afraid:
judging by last year's statistics on the nottingham website, around 400 people applied who didn't even meet the minimum requirements. With the the people left, around 50% getting an interview. This sound more reasurring than the constant drone of pessimists quoting random statistics like '1in10' getting in. Don't worry, be happy! We can always reapply next year with our gorgous real A grades
Reply 17
JtotheFinster
judging by last year's statistics on the nottingham website, around 400 people applied who didn't even meet the minimum requirements. With the the people left, around 50% getting an interview. This sound more reasurring than the constant drone of pessimists quoting random statistics like '1in10' getting in. Don't worry, be happy! We can always reapply next year with our gorgous real A grades

Is this people who didn't get 6 grade A's at gcse and didn't get AAB predictions? Or is this people who were rejected after the scoring of applications?
apple100
*panic* :afraid:

don't worry about it...this may sound cliché but you have as much chance as anybody else. Keep your spirits up and don't think on these statistics as they really don't matter in the long run, remember you have other choices as well and some of them may have seen a decrease in applicants. :thumbsup:
JtotheFinster

I was not being pessimistic...that was not my intention at all...I was just putting it in context of the UCAS statistics. Ultimately, all of us who applied knew that we will be facing tough competition.

It is true last year of the ~2100 applicants, only ~1450 met minimum academic requirements.

Latest

Trending

Trending