The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes, I believe it can.
Reply 2
Only if government is so minimal as to be virtually invisible. The institutions of statehood tend to form an identity around themselves - in fact, that is how most nations are probably formed. People, thrown together in one country, will tend towards sharing an identity and cultural orthodoxy.
Reply 3
NO.

Multi-culturalism in this country means the loss of identity and the breaking down of cultures.

We've already had to suppress so much of our identity, our culture so as not to cause offence.
If it continues there will be no culture left, they will all be absorbed into one. - One language, one currency, one culture - the tool for Globalization.

Multiculturalism is an idealistic dream that is turning in to a nightmare for any country that has introduced it. Instead of intergrating people it has divided them, and is the initiator for violence, hatred and the loss of identity - to the host nation, and to the immigrant communities who settle in it, their culture is diluted as well.
MaceyThe
NO.

Multi-culturalism in this country means the loss of identity and the breaking down of cultures.

We've already had to suppress so much of our identity, our culture so as not to cause offence.
If it continues there will be no culture left, they will all be absorbed into one. - One language, one currency, one culture - the tool for Globalization.

The loss of racial identity, not personal identity. I have a pretty damned good idea about my background and culture (American) and who I am. It's just not based along racial lines.

Oh, and the fear of globalization is really amusing, by the way.

Multiculturalism is an idealistic dream that is turning in to a nightmare for any country that has introduced it. Instead of intergrating people it has divided them, and is the initiator for violence, hatred and the loss of identity - to the host nation, and to the immigrant communities who settle in it, their culture is diluted as well.

I live in a country that is extremely multicultural (perhaps the most multicultural country in the world? I'm not sure) and there's absolutely no loss of identity "in the host nation." What little ethnic violence there is (and frankly, there is very little of it any more) is mostly left over from a bygone era.
Reply 5
Multiculturalism won't work because differing cultures aren't prepared to sacrifice parts of their build to accomodate new aspects from an outside culture.

Multiculturalism right now in Britain is basically non-existant, it's just a collection of different cultures living together on the same bit of land, isolating themselves from one another.

Latest

Trending

Trending