The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ipswichblade
If we did get that draw I would like to go because a) it's not too far from Worcester b) it would be a game we'd be expected to lose which suits us better most of the time! and c) I have bad memories of my last and only trip to Villa Park. A 3-0 defeat but we didn't care (we enjoyed ourself and most of us were in fancy dress and happy!) because we were definitely gonna stay up as we would beat Wigan and if we didn't then Man U would certainly beat West Ham. :o: :frown: Oh and I had an awful hangover even though the game didn't kick off until the evening! :o:

I remember that game as well, that was the 25th anniversary of us winning the European Cup, they had a parade before the game, it was unfortunate for you guys because I think you caught us on the day we played our best football of the season.
Rock Fan
I remember that game as well, that was the 25th anniversary of us winning the European Cup, they had a parade before the game, it was unfortunate for you guys because I think you caught us on the day we played our best football of the season.

Yeah, it was indeed that day, I cannot remember much else apart from the stewards were ***** with our fans who were having fun and not bothering anyone. Happy memories even though we lost actually-especially compared to now. :yep:
Hey guys, im new to the forum, i see this is the football league thread :biggrin:..

Any other Owls on here then? :wink:
Sasquatch
Hey guys, im new to the forum, i see this is the football league thread :biggrin:..

Any other Owls on here then? :wink:

Hello. :biggrin:

I think there a few owls on TSR but I avoid at all costs. :wink:
Haha!

I see your a blades fan,

Did you go to the lane that night you won 3-2?

I sure did :frown:, but it was the most amazing game i have ever watched to be honest.
Sasquatch
Haha!

I see your a blades fan,

Did you go to the lane that night you won 3-2?

I sure did :frown:, but it was the most amazing game i have ever watched to be honest.

No, :mad: I wasn't there.
Sadly (or thankfully at the moment depending on how you look at it!) I don't get to many matches now I'm at uni. Since moving away from Yorkshire in 2007 I only get to see the Blades on the TV and every now and then. I do miss it, the actual day out and seeing mates etc but money and time is precious at the moment!

You get to many games? I've been to Hillsborough quite a few times with the Blades (unfortunately the police always hinder rather than help matters and it makes for an unpleasant away day experience) and once with Ipswich with my OH and once with Colchester with mates. :yes: My record is not good - you beat both Ipswich and Col U and I've seen the Blades win once (2005/2006) out of 4 attempts! :eek: :o:
Ahh right, going to the football isn't cheap :frown:.

I go when i can, i live in Sheffield and like 10 minutes away from the ground so its not that far when i do go so im lucky in that respect, i work on Saturdays which is a pain so i try and get to as many as i can mid-week, next up for me is Donny Rovers away :biggrin:.

Our home form is amazing to be fair, last season we only conceeded 14 on home turf, not many times like comming to Hillsborough haha.
Sasquatch
Ahh right, going to the football isn't cheap :frown:.

I go when i can, i live in Sheffield and like 10 minutes away from the ground so its not that far when i do go so im lucky in that respect, i work on Saturdays which is a pain so i try and get to as many as i can mid-week, next up for me is Donny Rovers away :biggrin:.

Our home form is amazing to be fair, last season we only conceeded 14 on home turf, not many times like comming to Hillsborough haha.

Indeed. I've always avoided jobs where having to work on a saturday is a must. :biggrin:
I like Brian Laws, he's a good manager and you'll do well under him, given time. :yes:
Agreed, with what he has at his disposal hes done brilliant.

No money, injury prone players, small squad, fans with stupidly high expectations, and to finnish mid-table is great in my mind, hopefully in a few seasons we can build on this and make that step back to where we belong :smile:, but its going to take time and fans have to be patient, it wont happen overnight like lots expect :frown:.
Sasquatch
Agreed, with what he has at his disposal hes done brilliant.

No money, injury prone players, small squad, fans with stupidly high expectations, and to finnish mid-table is great in my mind, hopefully in a few seasons we can build on this and make that step back to where we belong :smile:, but its going to take time and fans have to be patient, it wont happen overnight like lots expect :frown:.

Yeah, I think Sheffield football fans are harsh when it comes to managers! Maybe it's under achievement for some but the way previous (and current) managers have been treated isn't good.

Talking of injuries - I've never known us to have so many. :eek: 2 more from the Baaaarnsley match too. :o:
Definitely, weve had so many managers in as many years than i can count.

I know, whats going off there, I dont think ive seen a team with more first teamers out than yourself, and i thought we was bad with them.

How do you think your season will go then?

To be honest you should get to the play-offs again (and this is comming from an owl), you have a team on paper what says so, but its very differant on the pitch though.
Sasquatch
Definitely, weve had so many managers in as many years than i can count.

I know, whats going off there, I dont think ive seen a team with more first teamers out than yourself, and i thought we was bad with them.

How do you think your season will go then?

To be honest you should get to the play-offs again (and this is comming from an owl), you have a team on paper what says so, but its very differant on the pitch though.

Well I'm only going on the games I've seen on TV (Boro away, Wednesday home, Newcastle home and Barnsley away) and to be honest I'd take the play offs 100% now! I doubt we'll finish in the top 6 and this is coming from a usual positive, the manager can do no wrong sort of fan!
I don't think we should get rid of Blackwell but something aint right. We played well against Newcastle and should have got a point at least but then on monday night we were awful from start to finish and didn't deserve owt from the game! So strange, the football aint good but there again if we were winning games I wouldn't mind so much. Poor Hendo and Ched are getting NO service and I mean NO service!

Another thing that annoys me slightly is all the talk of rebuilding the Kop and all the off the pitch stuff (the Chengdu Blades etc), seems to distract from the on the pitch goings on. :rolleyes: Hope we can get back to winning ways at home to Peterborough and if not, the fans that are paying out good money every week definitely won't be happy.
Agreed, Im not sure on the Blackwell issue, but something seems wrong i agree, sacking him might have an adverse affect and who do you bring in to replace him is the question. Yeah my mate who goes to games says the same thing, the forwards are not getting any service what so ever. Maybe a change of tactics may be in order, because just hoofing it up field to the forwards clearly is not working. I'd give Blackwell til end of season if you dont finnish anywhere near the play-offs axe him start with a fresh slate.

Yeah i heard there has been some off-field issues, Mccabe not investing anymore money into the club is one i have heard, although hes a multi millionaire? that doesnt add up to be honest hes not a poor man. If your going to launch a serious challenge to go back to the prem you'll need money behind it and if Maccabes not investing then i see troublesome times ahead.
Sasquatch
Agreed, Im not sure on the Blackwell issue, but something seems wrong i agree, sacking him might have an adverse affect and who do you bring in to replace him is the question. Yeah my mate who goes to games says the same thing, the forwards are not getting any service what so ever. Maybe a change of tactics may be in order, because just hoofing it up field to the forwards clearly is not working. I'd give Blackwell til end of season if you dont finnish anywhere near the play-offs axe him start with a fresh slate.

Yeah i heard there has been some off-field issues, Mccabe not investing anymore money into the club is one i have heard, although hes a multi millionaire? that doesnt add up to be honest hes not a poor man. If your going to launch a serious challenge to go back to the prem you'll need money behind it and if Maccabes not investing then i see troublesome times ahead.

McCabe has done a lot for the club, whatever he does or doesn't do now, the fans cannot moan/criticise. Obviously not living in Yorkshire I don't hear the rumours...thankfully! I prefer it this way!
I hope things improve but whatever happens mugs/fans like me will be there supporting the lads in whatever financial position and league position we are in! :rolleyes: We've had years of mid table championsip finishes as well as the play off heart breaks so another experience of either won't do us any more harm! :wink:
Deffo, Mccabe to my knowlege has done alot to the club (James Beattie) 40k a week wages, is one.

Haha, i remember watching Burnley v United, sorry to rub it in :P.
Sasquatch
Deffo, Mccabe to my knowlege has done alot to the club (James Beattie) 40k a week wages, is one.

Haha, i remember watching Burnley v United, sorry to rub it in :P.

So do I but I was there. :mad:

As for Beattie-big mistake starting paying out that sort of money IF it is true which none of us really know as again, it is only rumours. I don't agree with paying one bloke £40k a week and his team mate who he is playing alongside a lot lower and I never will! Money is ruining football enough without all the championship clubs getting as bad as the premiership clubs. :rolleyes: Was glad to get rid of Beattie in this sense but gutted to get rid of his ability (when fit) and more importantly goals!
Money is killing the game, we have had to sell many top stars to other clubs because of our financial posistion, if we had the money i think this season we would be seriously challenging for something, Brunt, Whelan, Maclean, Bougherra, plus our current team and thats a very strong time in my mind.

But back to the money issue something needs to be done its stupid, 200k a week for a premiership player now? 80,000,000 transfers? i mean its stupid. FIFA are bringing in a new ruling saying that clubs can only spend what they earn, i agree with this i also believe we need to cut down the amount of foriegn players what are comming into our English leagues, I'm not being racist when i say that, but its killing the English game I'm afraid and thats why we will never win anything on the international stage.
40k a week is silly money for a single player in a Championship squad.

People should read The Kilburn Social Club, interesting ideas on wages in there.
Reply 4018
Rochdale V Luton re-match tonight on itv4 at 7.45 if anybody's not doing anything.
Sounds good,

Love the FA Cup :biggrin:.

Did anyone watch Northwich Victoria humiliate Charlton at the weekend, rofl.

Latest