The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

cjdodsworth
I know nothing about entering a marathon. So, do you need to be signed up with a charity to run the marathon?

It's only really the big ones (London and New York being prime examples) for which your best chance of getting a place is to get sponsorship for a charity. I just paid my entry fee (โ‚ฌ70 :eek3: ) for Dublin this year, I didn't have to fundraise - and Dublin is a pretty decent sized city marathon, 12,500 runners this year.
Just put in another 10km today, having put in about 80km last week monday-sunday.
Reply 42
Drink And Drive
Just put in another 10km today, having put in about 80km last week monday-sunday.

Wow congratulations! Wish I could get that sort of dedication :o:
manx1991
Wow congratulations! Wish I could get that sort of dedication :o:

Thanks it's quite a laugh actually, because I don't really take it seriously, yet seriously enough to put in the work. But, I don't have any decent gear, other than my dad's running shoes, other than that I wear a pair of turquoise ski socks, blue football shorts and a striped black and brown hoody. I'm overtaking and outrunning the 'runners', who run in packs, never talk to each other and look at their watches every 10 seconds, it's a bit of a joke.

How you getting on?
Reply 44
manx1991
Oh yay another TSRer :P I'm doing it with my boyfriend who reckons he can finish it just about already whereas I'm training for a time (2hrs30 hopefully)

I know, the London Marathon definately looks flat but it's just getting in! I couldn't raise the grand minimum sponsership most charities want for a garenteed place :eek: Definately an aim though!

I did my half marathon for charity, and raised ยฃ1700 easy.
Reply 45
Drink And Drive

50 miles a week running at one pace is too much. do some basic research. train smarter and save you knees !! :yep:
Revenged
50 miles a week running at one pace is too much. do some basic research. train smarter and save you knees !! :yep:

I know it's too much, but I doubt I'll be running when I'll be at university(well, especially not the rate I'm running at now). It's becoming quite addictive to say the least :smile:
Reply 47
join running club at uni. sorted. i started running at uni from no background at all so you have no excuse not to try it out. you're bound to love it, having a club is much better than running on your own.

until then i suggest you sort your training out mate. 10k everyday will work but the problem with running lots of miles is the effect that it has on the body.

even in trained runners few maintain a high mileage all the time, so it's better to do 25-30 miles and stick with it. better still to have a structure to it. e.g. a longer run, a couple of shorter faster runs and attempt an interval run every week.

apart from that, that is all you need to do, it really isnt rocket science. one foot in front of the other. if you are dedicated enough you will win, takes about 10 years to reach a running peak, so that's quite a nice thing to know as it is one of the few sports (i think) where if you can train hard enough for long enough you'll eventually
win.

good luck guys + gals.
Reply 48
hey guys again,
just wanted to know how long it took you to complete a 10km from when you started running and what kind of times you were looking at?
How far do you run?
It depends. At the minute I'm just getting back into it - had the summer off after I twisted my knee in the last x-country race I did - so it's up to about 3k. By January I'll hopefully be doing 5-6 miles a few times a week :smile:

How long do you run for?
Anything up to 45 minutes - usually less.

Where do you run?
Roads at night, fields or towpaths if daytime.

What do you listen to?
Since my ipod has ran off, nothing! Prefer to have a bit of indie-rock on though, seems to make everything a lot easier.

Why do you do it?
Because I enjoy it, makes me feel a lot better about myself. That and the dog needs taking out, so he might as well come with me :smile:

Do you have any aims?
A better placing at this years ESAA cross country championships!
manx1991
hey guys again,
just wanted to know how long it took you to complete a 10km from when you started running and what kind of times you were looking at?

I did my first 10k race about 5 months after I started running, it took me 65 minutes. My most recent 10k time was 53 minutes (back in mid-September).
manx1991
hey guys again,

I completed 10km about 1 week after I started running, I used to run it under an hour back when I was 14-15. I think I can do it in about 1 hour right now.
Reply 52
Drink And Drive
I completed 10km about 1 week after I started running, I used to run it under an hour back when I was 14-15. I think I can do it in about 1 hour right now.

:biggrin: Thanks for the hope! I have around six weeks to get as close to a 10k I can but I'm not too bothered if I walk a bit :p:
manx1991
hey guys again,

I signed up for my first 10K (Great Edinburgh Run 2008) to give me something to work towards as one of the games of fives I played in got cancelled. I completed it in 59 minutes.

My PB was set in March 2009 at the Grangemouth Round The Houses 10K, which I ran in 44 minutes.
Reply 54
Revenged

Yes but if you want to be good you have to put in the miles! It is fine as long as you don't jump straight up to a large mileage, you have to work your way up and let your body adapt...
Reply 55
Drink And Drive
I know it's too much, but I doubt I'll be running when I'll be at university(well, especially not the rate I'm running at now). It's becoming quite addictive to say the least :smile:

:eek3: Did you have any rest days? If you have to train like that, with no interval training or speed training then do try and do it on grass. Like someone else said- save your knees.

How come you won't be running at uni? When I go to uni is when I throw myself into running, I know at UCLAN I have the option of the uni's athletics team or Preston Harriers and at Liverpool I have Liverpool Harriers- hehe, already done the research :smile:
Reply 56
manx1991
hey guys again,

It took me a couple of months... my first 10km was looking at doing a time of 40 minutes but I just missed it. 10km is just about far enough to do without any training though, but obviously you won't do a time you are capable of!
Reply 57
alex0723
It took me a couple of months... my first 10km was looking at doing a time of 40 minutes but I just missed it. 10km is just about far enough to do without any training though, but obviously you won't do a time you are capable of!

I know, and especially on this course because I won't be on the easy leg (and even that has a massive up hill at the start) I'll be either doing the cross country section (which is very hilly) or the boggy bit :rolleyes:
Reply 58
manx1991
I know, and especially on this course because I won't be on the easy leg (and even that has a massive up hill at the start) I'll be either doing the cross country section (which is very hilly) or the boggy bit :rolleyes:

In that case I wouldn't worry at all about the time! I do lots of cross country races and the distance is never correct
Reply 59
alex0723
In that case I wouldn't worry at all about the time! I do lots of cross country races and the distance is never correct

I know :smile: unfortunately they just want a 10km time for the handicap (I think my team will be leaving a day before the rest :p: ) but I'm working out the distances from previous times. Like, for the first leg the quickest time last year was 59 minutes, so just less than half marathon distance and it's all over cross country and hilly. Leg three, which has a min age of 15, is all road and the quickest time for that is around 30 minutes so yep, going on pure logic :p: Can't wait though tbh! I'm thinking Barbie girls and Ken with Santa hats :biggrin: