The Student Room Group

Oxford English Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm not actually applying to St Edmunds but could you tell me a little bit about your interview? Nobody can tell me anything about the interviews!!
there's a lot of interview stuff around, if you do a search.

basically, i had 2 interviews. first was on an unseen poem (could be a prose extract), and i had ten minutes to read it and make notes then a 20 minute interview on it. i enjoyed it.

second was later that morning, and was a ten minute interview on my personal statement, etc. i was asked "why english" and "why english at oxford?" which they often tell you won't be asked, so it threw me, but generally it wasn't too fearsome either.

i was there until mid-afternoon the next day, when we were told we could leave. i didn't really do the social stuff with other interviewees because i met up with friends who were being interviewed at other colleges instead, but it sounded pretty fun, with films, ice cream, quiz nights, etc. it's pretty much what you'd expect.
Reply 22
Interview at St Peter's for English between 6th and 9th December!

Who else has interviews/waiting to hear about English?
Reply 23
Interview for English at St Edmund Hall! So excited :biggrin: (heard by email in case anyone is still waiting!)
Reply 24
Interview at University College, Monday 7th December. TERRIFIED.
Reply 25
you guys are so lucky! I hope I get one :frown: X
Reply 26
Phone interview with St. Hugh's :ahee:
Meeeeee, at Christ Church!

I was excited for about... fifteen minutes. Then I realised I'd spent so long thinking I wouldn't get an interview that I haven't spent the time preparing.

D'oh.
Reply 28
glittergulch
I was excited for about... fifteen minutes. Then I realised I'd spent so long thinking I wouldn't get an interview that I haven't spent the time preparing.

:ditto:
Reply 29

Originally Posted by glittergulch

and me! then i was hystericallly joyous for half an hour before realising that now i actually had to DO the interview and that that was a really scary prospect..
Reply 30
Exciting stuff.
Reply 31
Interview at Jesus on the 8th!

I'm so so so chuffed :biggrin: Just focusing on that feeling rather than the 'ohholycrapidon'tknowanything' one ><
Interview at St Hugh's. Scary stuff. Haven't done anything since the ELAT because I'd sort of been blocking it out of my mind and enjoying life (it's much easier when you're not at school). Oops.
At St John's. Still haven't read some book by Thomas Hardy. It's cool, I managed to get through my UCL interview just fine w/out having read it...
Got one at Mansfield.

How else are you guys preparing (apart from revising stuff mentioned in your PS)? I'm in the school musical until Saturday and I have to be there on Sunday :ahee:

Can someone remind me when ELAT results come out?
Reply 35
Ive got one at st john's, not sure when it is, but i have to be there 6th-9th or 10th

And whyy do we need to read Thomas Hardy??
Reply 36
I think Pumpkin is saying that they wrote about a Hardy book in their PS but haven't actually read it (which seems a bit stupid to me :P)
ThomasElliott

How else are you guys preparing (apart from revising stuff mentioned in your PS)?

Can someone remind me when ELAT results come out?

I'm just reading around really. Newspapers and things. Also having a look around the things I've mentioned in my personal statement, rather than re-re-revising stuff on my personal statement.

As for ELAT results -15th January... Though I'm sure colleges have them already. Which is slightly scary as a thought, no?
Reply 38
pumpkin gets a snakebite
At St John's. Still haven't read some book by Thomas Hardy. It's cool, I managed to get through my UCL interview just fine w/out having read it...

ooh were you there last Wednesday? (UCL that is...)
Reply 39
does anyone know if there's going to be a lot to do in between the interviews? I mean, is something going to be organised or do we just entertain ourselves?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending