A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

philip.gowland
ive only done m1 and it is simple, probably even easier than core 1

No way :nah:
Reply 101
philip.gowland
ive only done m1 and it is simple, probably even easier than core 1

Ok that is strange...M1 IS pretty easy but not as easy as C1...M2 is a bit of a step up but M3 is a real killer as far as I can see so far!
think its just that id covered pretty much all the stuff in physics, and tht im better at maths than when i did core 1
Reply 103
mechanics is absolutely solid, I hate it :frown:
SOrry as I know there's been threads about this before but I still don't really understand it! I was under the impression that (basically) you need to get 90% from A2 units and 80% from AS and A2 put together. Is that right?

Because my french teacher recommended me to retake one of my AS units so that I improve my chances of an A* overall. In the AS I got 178/200... so I am failing to see how he's worked this out!!!

Anyway in your opinions, is a retake worth it, does it improve my chances at all? I'm majorly confused, the percentages and averages give me a headache..:rolleyes:

Cheers!
What do you have to get? 80pc from AS and 90pc from A2? Or can it be the other way around?
Reply 106
A* grade is a lie, dont listen to them.
isn't it along the lines of 90% overall with upwards of 90% in every A2 module?
:s-smilie:
EierVonSatan
80% overall (AS+A2) and 90% for A2

So:

79% overall and 100% at A2 = A grade
100% AS and 85% A2 = A grade
65% AS and 95% A2 = A* grade

etc

Thanks. :h:
Thankyou! I thought I was right.

Maybe he just wanted me to die of exam stress. It's not as if I don't have two oral exams in the space of one week already!
Reply 110

Resitting modules?

You can still retake modules and get an A*. The A* grade results rule apply to the best result for each AS and A2 unit meaning that you can get this result at the first sitting or subsequent sittings

is this true?(to someone that can confirm it, not kiddies that want it to be true xD)
Malsy

Resitting modules?

You can still retake modules and get an A*. The A* grade results rule apply to the best result for each AS and A2 unit meaning that you can get this result at the first sitting or subsequent sittings

is this true?(to someone that can confirm it, not kiddies that want it to be true xD)

http://www.edexcel.com/notices/Pages/a-star-grade.aspx

It's what they state on their website so I would think it is :p:
I am doing M2, C3 and C4 for Maths, do I need to get 90%+ for all of them or just C3 and C4?

Thanks in advance.
Just Core. And by the way it isn't 90% in both, you need to get 180/200 UMS between the two.
milliondollarcorpse
Just Core. And by the way it isn't 90% in both, you need to get 180/200 UMS between the two.

Ahh thanks a lot :smile:
Phew. What about Further Maths? Do you need 180/200 on FP2 and 3? What about if you are only doing one of them?
milliondollarcorpse

Cheers. I wanted to know the same. What about If you retake any AS/A2 units would that make a difference ?
Reply 117
isnt it supposed to be 90% for all the A2 modules???? :s-smilie:
Reply 118
bluemax
isnt it supposed to be 90% for all the A2 modules???? :s-smilie:

You can chop and change modules around, so it's a bit unfair on people who are doing more difficult modules. C3 and C4 are the only definite A2 modules for maths, even if a third module contributes to it.
It's just what has been decided.
Reply 119
How does the A* work for Further Maths A2 then?

Quick Reply