The Student Room Group

Why do people seek out relationships?

I was just thinking about how I don't like being single and how much I want to find someone.. and I was thinking: "hold on a second - why do I want this so badly? I want a boyfriend because...?"

So this made me think - What is a healthy reason to want a boyfriend/ girlfriend?

I'd be interested to hear your ideas!

I came up with only 1! To have someone you satisfy you physically in ways only lovers can :wink: This is the only thing I can think of as being unique to a boyfriend/ girlfriend!!! please tell me there are more reasons than this!

(PS: To find that closeness with someone is another reason - to find someone to care about and who cares about you.. But I was thinking - you can get that with family and friends too, so this isn't a reason really.. That side can be satisfied from other relationships.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cuddles. :love:
Reply 2
I guess its the bond. But still, friends can be like that..?

Its a good question! & you should make the most of being single whilst you're young cos you'll probably end up tied to someone for a large proportion of your life. Whats the rush!
Very good question. Sometimes I get depressed about being single, and people tell me I need to be happy being single first, but then I don't find anyone still then so what then? I just get more depressed about not having anyone to be with, and seeing all these happy couples everywhere. It's sad :frown:
I didn't seek out a relationship, I fell in love.
It's a nice pastime.
I have no idea about this. I suppose it's human nature to crave that affection and closeness.
I never 'wanted a relationship', and I still don't just want any old relationship. I'd only want to be in a relationship with a specific person.
Reply 7
blinkbelle

I think that's the ideal. That's the natural way relationships should happen: out of love, not out of logical "I want to find someone". Ideally. But for a lot of people - maybe it won't just happen. Maybe you were lucky to have fallen in love without even trying? I dunno.

Another thought on this subject - I guess the "falling in love" thing has excitement and loads of emotions linked to it that you can never get with other relationships. I guess for the short-term "falling in love" feelings - that can drive you to wanting to find someone. But then I dont think this is an entirely healthy reason coz it seems kinda selfish to want a relationship just to feel good :/ I dunno.
Reply 8
blinkbelle

this.
Antimatter
I have no idea about this. I suppose it's human nature to crave that affection and closeness.
I never 'wanted a relationship', and I still don't just want any old relationship. I'd only want to be in a relationship with a specific person.

I hope to God that's a joke.

Joking, good response =]
Advanced Subsidiary

Joking, good response =]

Not you, again! :yawn: :p:
Advanced Subsidiary

Joking, good response =]

Eeek, what is that a picture of in your signature?
In my opinion I think it's because people give relationships far more credit than they actually deserve. Some think not being in a relationship is like the end of the world, as if it's some neccesity in life - it's not.

I have relationships but they're so down on my priority list, if they come they'll come, if they dont it's not much of a big deal. But then, I have a pretty good life and I manage to do things everyday that are more thrilling and fun than being occupied by a relationship.

The way I see it, I pitty those who are bobbed down by relationships and give them so much priority. I pitty them for not being able to find anything better to do, if that's the best they can come up with than I feel sorry for them. Not to say that one should not have a relationship at all, but it shouldn't mean so much as it does...especially at a young age. There's a reason why the H&R forum is a joke, the things that come with a relationship are just laughable.
Anonymous
I was just thinking about how I don't like being single and how much I want to find someone.. and I was thinking: "hold on a second - why do I want this so badly? I want a boyfriend because...?"

So this made me think - What is a healthy reason to want a boyfriend/ girlfriend?

I came up with only 1! To have someone you satisfy you physically in ways only lovers can :wink: This is the only thing I can think of as being unique to a boyfriend/ girlfriend!!! please tell me there are more reasons than this!

(PS: To find that closeness with someone is another reason - to find someone to care about and who cares about you.. But I was thinking - you can get that with family and friends too, so this isn't a reason really.. That side can be satisfied from other relationships.)

i would like a relationship because i want someone to be close to and kiss and cuddle :blush: - lol - to have someone i can talk to about absolutely anything and to have someone that can be my best friend as well, i think it would be nice to have a girlfriend like that :smile:

...and also because i've never had any of that :frown:
Anonymous

''We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'." - THIS.
But if you got as close to friends as you do with your partner, that would be creepy. Personally, I think it's because you both share the responsibility of being each others favorite person. There's also the special closeness you only get with a partner and the physical side of things.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Eeek, what is that a picture of in your signature?

Hmm.. I don't know how to describe it.

All I can say is that.. we should accept others for who they are and not what they look like.
Reply 17
somethingbeautiful
''We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'." - THIS.

To have someone actually care about you and vice versa, it's kind of nice and it's probably good for your well-being. Imagine how depressing life would be if nobody ever cared about your achievements?
Anonymous

I don't seek a relationship. I would rather steer clear of them. It isn't worth the heartache when someone decides to dump you at the drop of a hat and for no real reason.
Advanced Subsidiary
Hmm.. I don't know how to describe it.

All I can say is that.. we should accept others for who they are and not what they look like.

Ok. Sorry, I wasn't meaning to sound rude or anything. It's just that I saw that picture on FaceBook before, one of my friends was tagged as him, probably as a joke. I actually thought it looked a bit like him but photoshopped to look strange. And then I see your animation.

Latest

Trending

Trending