The Student Room Group

How competitive are the Philosophy depts of UCL and KCL?

Hi

just wondering how intense the competition is (relatively against other philosophy course unis) for Philosophy at KCL or UCL?

Would I stand a chance if I did not have a philosophy specific personal statement?
Reply 1
purplefrog
Hi

just wondering how intense the competition is (relatively against other philosophy course unis) for Philosophy at KCL or UCL?

Would I stand a chance if I did not have a philosophy specific personal statement?

I dunno, but both are competitive.
UCL has a lot of applicants for Philosophy, offers are AAA.
But the application procedure includes an open day with a test, so you can make up for anything you lack anywhere else (e.g PS) in the test, to an extent at least.

What's the PS for?
Reply 2
bj_945
I dunno, but both are competitive.
UCL has a lot of applicants for Philosophy, offers are AAA.
But the application procedure includes an open day with a test, so you can make up for anything you lack anywhere else (e.g PS) in the test, to an extent at least.

What's the PS for?

The PS will be for science courses (biochemical/biological sciences)
Reply 3
purplefrog
The PS will be for science courses (biochemical/biological sciences)

Hmm, well I can see it working either way. They may think "well, we've got 200 other great applicants who have decided they really want to do Philosophy" and reject you.

But scientists and mathematicians often make good philosophers, so they may take your application as sign of enough interest in Philosophy and take you partly because they like a bit of science thrown in.

Buuut it's probs a long shot. You would have to have top grades to stand a chance imo, and it is very competitive. Philosophy is competitive in general, and UCL is a top uni.

I dunno. Anyway good luck, I've got a place @ UCL for Philosophy for next year so maybe I'll be seeing you there:woo:

Peace x
Reply 4
UCL philosophy is massively over-subscribed every year, so may be quite difficult. Its why entrance grades went up from AAB to AAA last year. Saying that, the interview/test day if you get through to that will allow you to distinguish yourself. Its just a matter of getting your application to that stage.
Reply 5
Original post by bj_945
Hmm, well I can see it working either way. They may think "well, we've got 200 other great applicants who have decided they really want to do Philosophy" and reject you.

But scientists and mathematicians often make good philosophers, so they may take your application as sign of enough interest in Philosophy and take you partly because they like a bit of science thrown in.

Buuut it's probs a long shot. You would have to have top grades to stand a chance imo, and it is very competitive. Philosophy is competitive in general, and UCL is a top uni.

I dunno. Anyway good luck, I've got a place @ UCL for Philosophy for next year so maybe I'll be seeing you there:woo:

Peace x

Hi just wondering what the interview/open day at ucl for philosophy included? i have one in a couple of weeks, but finding it really difficult to get any information or an insight to what goes on! any help would be appreciated !x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending