The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Edamame
Any runners swim regularly too? Does swimming make you enjoy running even more?

i swim once a week if that counts - but only cause i have a free pass so i might as well :biggrin:
i wouldnt say it makes me enjoy the running more, but it relaxes the muscles i guess, so its a nice way to chill at the end of the week

but getting beaten by fat old men kinda puts you on a downer :yep:
SebMurphy
i swim once a week if that counts - but only cause i have a free pass so i might as well :biggrin:
i wouldnt say it makes me enjoy the running more, but it relaxes the muscles i guess, so its a nice way to chill at the end of the week

but getting beaten by fat old men kinda puts you on a downer :yep:

Grr same with my boyfriend, first got a free membership to the gym and swimming because he was in the commonwealth youth games, then he started working as a life guard :frown: You guys suck lol, all us normal people have to pay! :p:

indie_couture
Havent been able to run since sunday :frown:
Though will hopefully be running weds night and then fri morning. Also sat too. xx

Me niether :frown: Had a nice 10km planned for yesterday but started chucking it down just before I was about to go out- lasted all night! Sucks... Can't tonight since I have work but doing reps down the track tomorrow (hopefully!)
Reply 102
manx1991
Grr same with my boyfriend, first got a free membership to the gym and swimming because he was in the commonwealth youth games, then he started working as a life guard :frown:

What a joke! I am going to move to the isle of man
manx1991
Grr same with my boyfriend, first got a free membership to the gym and swimming because he was in the commonwealth youth games, then he started working as a life guard :frown: You guys suck lol, all us normal people have to pay!

Me niether :frown: Had a nice 10km planned for yesterday but started chucking it down just before I was about to go out- lasted all night! Sucks... Can't tonight since I have work but doing reps down the track tomorrow (hopefully!)

That always happens. Like 5 mins before it will chuck it down. On sunday morning I was like I will get out of bed and go for a run when the rain stops. It stopped being heavy for a bit so I went anyway but got worse when I went out running! Although I dont mind running in the rain everyone thinks I'm slightly weird and think I'm stupid when I get back soaked through.
Im about to run in 15mins. Fingers crossed it will not rain. xxx
I'm doing couch to 5k at the moment. I didn't like Ullrey's podcasts (I couldn't stand the music), so instead I use an ipod touch app that lets you use your own music. Really good for motivation.
Reply 105
i just developed the worst blister it hurts like heeeeeeeeell, ill give it a day to heal, its not gonna stop me from running :biggrin:
alex0723
What a joke! I am going to move to the isle of man

Haha, only about 10 people under the age of 18 recieved the CYG discount, which was cut down to 5 then the final three who got to use it until after the games. And I imagine the lifeguard discount is the same everywhere... pretty annoying for me though! He's constantly there and I can't afford to go!
Reply 107
manx1991
Haha, only about 10 people under the age of 18 recieved the CYG discount, which was cut down to 5 then the final three who got to use it until after the games. And I imagine the lifeguard discount is the same everywhere... pretty annoying for me though! He's constantly there and I can't afford to go!

It's much easier to get gym discount on the iom than on mainland uk!!!
no running today for me. I dont think I will tomorrow but will be running saturday and sunday xxx
indie_couture
no running today for me. I dont think I will tomorrow but will be running saturday and sunday xxx

I'm actually going to run tonight :O First time this week which is pretty depressing! 2.3 miles I'm thinking (not running all of it lol!)
Has anybody here every had shin splints before?
I play football and run a lot, and over the past few months, a pain's developed in my right shin :/
I rested it for about a week, and played a game of football today, only for it to get 10 times worse.. before, I'd get shooting pains in my shin when running, but walking was fine. Now, whenever I take a step, I feel the same shooting pains.
Don't even get me started on walking up the stairs O_e

My dad thinks it could be a stress fracture, but I'm hoping it's 'just' shin splints. Anyone had any similar experiences / have any advice on what to do? When I rest it, then resume exercise after a week, it just gets worse :/
TattyBoJangles
I play football and run a lot, and over the past few months, a pain's developed in my right shin :/
I rested it for about a week, and played a game of football today, only for it to get 10 times worse.. before, I'd get shooting pains in my shin when running, but walking was fine. Now, whenever I take a step, I feel the same shooting pains.

My dad thinks it could be a stress fracture, but I'm hoping it's 'just' shin splints. Anyone had any similar experiences / have any advice on what to do? When I rest it, then resume exercise after a week, it just gets worse :/

I have re-occuring shin splints. Other than rest I can't really recommend anything apart from possibly seeing your doctor / a podiatrist.
cant wait to run tomorrow morning. Going to do 45mins I hope.
Will also run mon and/or tues am.
Reply 113
Ugh last time i ever go running on an empty stomach... threw up (i say threw up..more just heaving) in the middle of the street and now i feel sooo deathly it's unreal!

Note to self - EAT before a run!!!
So thought i was going to run this morning. wake up= raining. its so annoying and i had work so wouldnt be able to wash and dry my hair after. hopefully i will run tomorrow.
went to docs about my fricked ankle... its too late now he said...
wait for it to get better
FFS!
9 weeks down, x to go, i may have to take up knitting
TattyBoJangles

I've never had shin splints before (maybe minor ones don't know) but my boyfriend had a stress fracture and all they told him was rest for 8 weeks. I imagine if it's shin splints, unless someone else knows differently, will also be rest for ages- a week isn't long enough for anything to heal in all honestly. Of course, when you go back you won't be anywhere near full fitness either so remember to take it slow!
Reply 117
TattyBoJangles

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

To relieve pain/swelling. Try waiting 2 weeks before you run again, then rebuild the amount you're doing reeealy slowly.

Go to a running shop and get your gait analysed (this should be free) and they'll be able to advise you on what kind of shoes to buy.
Ran yesterday for the first time in a week!!
did about 35-40mins xx
indie_couture
Ran yesterday for the first time in a week!!
did about 35-40mins xx

Well done! I did last Friday, usually I do two runs a week (one on my own then one with my mate) but last week I did nothing and was well annoyed with myself! So made myself go out in the rain, was well proud of myself, managed 400m all at once :o: normally can't keep pushing myself past 100m so it was quite an achievement!

Yesterday planned a 10k but only managed 8 because I was an idiot and decided to go the cross country route which was rather muddy! Only ran about half but you know... it's the thought!