The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The_resurrection
I would have the cut off a bit younger to be honest. Somewhere between 75 and 80. Although this may change if the older generation become physically stronger in the coming years.

Pfft make it 40 :rolleyes: :p:
And while we do that, to ease the financial crisis, we could make education optional/private (and expensive!) so children can work from 5 years of age again, take away the NHS and only Private Hospitals will be allowed - or even just ban medicine! That'll kill off the sick money-leeches. Ooh also, a communist country would save the Gov a bit of money with everyone having the same wage and whatever. And scrap benefits.*

*Sarcasm :rolleyes:
Aphotic Cosmos
I only suggested it because it certifiably works at slashing population growth, if you put the will of the people into achieving it.

Yes, but getting the will of the people would be practically impossible.

Take China as a case study: people went along with it at the time, but it's had such a negative effect on families that they're now relaxing the policy a bit.

OK, so if every family only had one child that would slow the growth of the population, but I subscribe to the "necessity is the mother of invention" school of thought - the one child policy is not the answer, finding new ways of coping with a larger population is.
But... But where would we get those awesome Christmas jumpers from, if there aren't any more old people in the world?
Reply 24
nolongerhearthemusic
Isn't that a book?

Yeah, it was on the best sellers list briefly back in the 1930s.
Children don't contribute anything to society either, let's kill all of them too, shall we?

What a ridiculous idea. And a ridiculous assumption that older people don't contribute to society. Wtf?
L i b
Yeah, it was on the best sellers list briefly back in the 1930s.

I see what you did there.
Pink Bullets
Children don't contribute anything to society either, let's kill all of them too, shall we?

What a ridiculous idea. And a ridiculous assumption that older people don't contribute to society. Wtf?

What an utterly ridiculous comparison. Children are the next working generation who will bring a lot of good things to the world in the future, old people have lived their lives and only offer a burden to the world.
The_resurrection
What an utterly ridiculous comparison. Children are the next working generation who will bring a lot of good things to the world in the future, old people have lived their lives and only offer a burden to the world.

Oh that's nice... so once someone has contributed to society for at least 45 years, kill them off because they're not working now? :rolleyes: What a lovely way to say 'thank you' for the contributions someone has made.

Last I checked, old people aren't exempt from paying taxes, if that's what you're trying to get at. :s-smilie:
Reply 29
I think this is a pretty good argument for compulsory euthanasia. It wasn't really supposed to be taken seriously, but if there are people out there who think it might be a good idea, then they can knock themselves out.

http://hcim90.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/the-what-if-series-60-good-ones/

Latest

Trending

Trending