The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Why were you accepted at Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick etc??!

Hey all!! What are the things that really matter to get accepted in places like Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Imperial and all the top places?!!!! (post graduate)

i'm an international student planning to apply for a masters in finance (or accountancy and finance, or financial economics..whatever..) in some of the top colleges in UK...

I
have done MSc(Tech) Finance (wa 4 year integrated course)
have a gmat score of 730(i know imperial doesnt need it..),
have a decent g.p.a (with many A's and some B's in finance related courses
think I can manage a good personal statement,
can manage to get decent recommendation letters from my undergrad college
have done my undergrad in a college that's in the top 5 (in India)
am working in a company that's the No. 1 in IT (in India)
am a Level-1 candidate of the CFA prog (taking the level-1 exam in dec,2005)
have a passion for finance

But still I think there's something missing in me that seperates me from those at the top.

so if those that have been accepted at these top places tell us what really seperates them from the rest, why were they a part of the chosen few, and things like their grades, scores etc, it'll be really great!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think your qualifications are enough to accept in one of the high ranking Univeristies. but for Oxfor and Cambridge be careful to apply so soon (For instance for 2006 you have to submit your documents before January 2005!!!)
Other Universities you have enough time and your qualifications are ok.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
because they are all feckin too good:rolleyes: - a brilliant blend of intelligence and a decent social life...people that work hard and play hard!:eek:
Reply 3
flyingkolours
Hey all!! What are the things that really matter to get accepted in places like Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Imperial and all the top places?!!!! (post graduate)

i'm an international student planning to apply for a masters in finance (or accountancy and finance, or financial economics..whatever..) in some of the top colleges in UK...

I

But still I think there's something missing in me that seperates me from those at the top.

so if those that have been accepted at these top places tell us what really seperates them from the rest, why were they a part of the chosen few, and things like their grades, scores etc, it'll be really great!!

hi there,
i am going to warwick manufac. group this sep.
well if you have the moolah, with your GMAT score you should definitely go to some top B-school of the world.
there is an MSc finance course at London Business school. why dont you look for that
Reply 4
yeganeh80
I think your qualifications are enough to accept in one of the high ranking Univeristies. but for Oxfor and Cambridge be careful to apply so soon (For instance for 2006 you have to submit your documents before January 2005!!!)
Other Universities you have enough time and your qualifications are ok.

thanks yeganeh for the info!! yeah, oxford and cambridge want us to appy very early!! cambridge is definitely out of the question though coz they have only 1 course - mphil economics....and i dont think i'm suitable!!
Reply 5
Phil23
because they are all feckin too good:rolleyes: - a brilliant blend of intelligence and a decent social life...people that work hard and play hard!:eek:

in a general sense, yeah...that's how they're different - they excel in everything they're into.

but how do they differenciate practically?? do they manage to get the recommendation letters from the top profs in the world?! or is it that they might have worked/had their education in multiple countries?!!
coz i have neither!

i know a guy from my college who's done a 6-month internship in insead, france, worked for an year or so in the US and then got into LSE (Information systems or whatever...) he had a very high c.g.p.a and was involved in a couple of good projects during college...
now, suppose i was up against this guy, to what extent would my gmat score compensate for the lack of all the international experience etc that this guy has???!!
Reply 6
mayanksinha
hi there,
i am going to warwick manufac. group this sep.
well if you have the moolah, with your GMAT score you should definitely go to some top B-school of the world.
there is an MSc finance course at London Business school. why dont you look for that

hi mayank! congrats on getting into warwick!!!! i'm sure you'd have done your graduation from some IIT and all..(if you're a resident indian..)

yeah, gmat score should definitely help....but I lack so many other things that a b-school looks for :biggrin: - i am in an entry level job...and so i dont have any leadership experience..and besides, they look for candidates with atleast 4-5 years of experience!!!

and abt LBS...their site says that a minimum of 2 years is reqd....i have only a year to show...and 1 look at the profiles of their current students was enough to bring me back to earth!!!!!! :wink:
Reply 7
flyingkolours
hi mayank! congrats on getting into warwick!!!! i'm sure you'd have done your graduation from some IIT and all..(if you're a resident indian..)

yeah, gmat score should definitely help....but I lack so many other things that a b-school looks for :biggrin: - i am in an entry level job...and so i dont have any leadership experience..and besides, they look for candidates with atleast 4-5 years of experience!!!

and abt LBS...their site says that a minimum of 2 years is reqd....i have only a year to show...and 1 look at the profiles of their current students was enough to bring me back to earth!!!!!! :wink:

hi thr,
See i am not from IIT, i am from BMS college bangalore (u wouldn't have heard about it), you are from BITS, i dont know what inferiority complex you have. You can most certainly get through anywhere. with a 730 GMAT score.
have you tried applying to various univ?
Reply 8
you know flying kolors, one of my seniors got through INSEAD after one year experience in a call center, he had a score less than you but he knew french.
Reply 9
mayanksinha
hi thr,
See i am not from IIT, i am from BMS college bangalore (u wouldn't have heard about it), you are from BITS, i dont know what inferiority complex you have. You can most certainly get through anywhere. with a 730 GMAT score.
have you tried applying to various univ?

hey!! i know about BMSCE!!! i had written KCET and took admission in RVCE before coming to know that i was accepted at bits!! your post has really given me a lot of confidence!

i haven't applied yet...the most worrying part now is to get the recommendation letters!! i can think of hardly 1-2 professors who might give me a reco! how important are the recommendation letters btw? can they be 'deciding factors' of admission??!!
we'll meet if i get admission in warwick!!!!
mayanksinha
you know flying kolors, one of my seniors got through INSEAD after one year experience in a call center, he had a score less than you but he knew french.

that's awesome man!!! he atleast must've had a great academic record??!
flyingkolours
hey!! i know about BMSCE!!! i had written KCET and took admission in RVCE before coming to know that i was accepted at bits!! your post has really given me a lot of confidence!

i haven't applied yet...the most worrying part now is to get the recommendation letters!! i can think of hardly 1-2 professors who might give me a reco! how important are the recommendation letters btw? can they be 'deciding factors' of admission??!!
we'll meet if i get admission in warwick!!!!

recommendations are important no doubt, but i think your academic record and SOP are more important. i dint have that good a rapport with my teachers , in fact my HOD was a plain bastard but i still got recos!!.
you can definitely find 2 - 3 professors who can recommend you. At least in my college buttering helped. I jus have one tip for you for a reco, get it from PHD holders as much as possible , their reco holds weight.
and about meeting in Warwick if you come this year we should definitely meet up.
Reply 12
flyingkolours

I

What you lack is the confidence and the drive to succeed maybe? Students on the good universities in general are confident, dare to challenge anything and are good doing whatever they choose to do. They are well rounded not just academic but on practical sides as well (especially on business/financial areas) work experience in investment banks with worldwide reputation adds weight.

LBS and others alike students usually are already from very good schools and with good work experience to add weight to their applications.

Personally i don't like people thinking ooooh you are CEO you must be great, we are all humans, start by viewing students in LBS like so what? they are humans, sure they are excellent but if they can do it, you can do it as well, but obviously by working hard,seeking opportunities etc. (besides academics there are lot of other ways to satisfy your life, academics isn't always the best choice)
Reply 13
my dear fellow stop asking questions and send your applications if you want ton start in september.the only problem i find with you is that you are maybe TOO LATE...but if your are thinking for september 2006 then look for princeton...
Neocortex
What you lack is the confidence and the drive to succeed maybe? Students on the good universities in general are confident, dare to challenge anything and are good doing whatever they choose to do. They are well rounded not just academic but on practical sides as well (especially on business/financial areas) work experience in investment banks with worldwide reputation adds weight.

LBS and others alike students usually are already from very good schools and with good work experience to add weight to their applications.

Personally i don't like people thinking ooooh you are CEO you must be great, we are all humans, start by viewing students in LBS like so what? they are humans, sure they are excellent but if they can do it, you can do it as well, but obviously by working hard,seeking opportunities etc. (besides academics there are lot of other ways to satisfy your life, academics isn't always the best choice)

made me remember Francisco D'Anconia of Atlas Shrugged for a minute there when you told me about the students of good universities :biggrin: . But seriously, i guess that's what I lack....i have the drive to succeed but not the confidence to do it..
will atleast be applying and give my best!!

thanks neo for the encouragement!! yeah, so what if they're great, i'm good too :smile:
gregory
my dear fellow stop asking questions and send your applications if you want ton start in september.the only problem i find with you is that you are maybe TOO LATE...but if your are thinking for september 2006 then look for princeton...

hi gregory!! yeah, i'm too late for this year !!!!! was planning to apply for admission in 2006!! they're going to start accepting applications in a couple of months right??! :biggrin:
will definitely look for princeton too!! do let me know if you know of someone who's doing masters in princeton!!!
thanks!! :smile:
Sorry for bothering everyone again...there's one thing left on my mind that I am worried about....I want to know what kind of cumulative GPA do the top colleges like LSE, Warwick, Princeton expect a candidate to have. Will my C.G.P.A be considered as 'not bad' or 'bad' :frown:

I have a C.G.P.A of 3.2 (out of 4)
i don't know the concept of conditional offers, majors etc coz we dont have that in India, the grades that I have got in the Finance CDC's (Compulsory Discipline Courses) are

Financial Management B
Theory of Finance B
Project Finance A
International Financial Markets and Services A
Merchant Banking A
Econometrics B

Other Finance courses

Security Analysis and Portfolio Management A
Fundamentals of Finance & Accounting A
Functions & Working of a Stock Exchange B

Math courses (wasn't interested much then :redface:...actually I hated these..)

Probability and Statistics C
Linear Algebra D
Advanced Calculus D
Operations Research D

G.P.A considering only the finance courses - (8 A's and 5 B's) - 3.69 out of 4)

So, now with the new information, what do you think are my chances? can i still be optimistic?!
flyingkolours
Sorry for bothering everyone again...there's one thing left on my mind that I am worried about....I want to know what kind of cumulative GPA do the top colleges like LSE, Warwick, Princeton expect a candidate to have. Will my C.G.P.A be considered as 'not bad' or 'bad' :frown:

I have a C.G.P.A of 3.2 (out of 4)
i don't know the concept of conditional offers, majors etc coz we dont have that in India, the grades that I have got in the Finance CDC's (Compulsory Discipline Courses) are

Financial Management B
Theory of Finance B
Project Finance A
International Financial Markets and Services A
Merchant Banking A
Econometrics B

Other Finance courses

Security Analysis and Portfolio Management A
Fundamentals of Finance & Accounting A
Functions & Working of a Stock Exchange B

Math courses (wasn't interested much then :redface:...actually I hated these..)

Probability and Statistics C
Linear Algebra D
Advanced Calculus D
Operations Research D

G.P.A considering only the finance courses - (8 A's and 5 B's) - 3.69 out of 4)

So, now with the new information, what do you think are my chances? can i still be optimistic?!

i was just asking does princeton have a masters in finance or eco? or only a PhD
mayanksinha
i was just asking does princeton have a masters in finance or eco? or only a PhD

princeton has a Master in Finance program (MFin) and also has a Phd program. But i guess it's too competitive :frown:
With the kind of placement record the program has got, that's not a surprise..
Reply 19
To the OP: Your stats seem alright. However, do be aware that other than academic merit, your recommendation letters play a very important part in the selection process.

Quick Reply