The Student Room Group

The Secrets That Lie Behind The Great Pyramid's Second Shaft Door (Poll)

Poll

What Secrets Lie Behind the Shaft's Second Door?

What lies undisturbed for thousands of years behind these doors? Take the Poll and share your views.

...and more importantly will Dr Zahi Hawass let the public know?

A bit of background.....

In 1993, Rudolph Gatenbrink's minature robot designed to specifically crawl up an 8 inch square ventilation shaft deep inside the Great Pyramid came to a stop when it reached a polished stone door, inset with two corroded copper handles. Soon after, the Egyptian Government refused Gatenbrink any further exploration (even to this day) and he went back to Germany.

In 2002, audiences across the globe watched live as another minature robot drilled a small hole into the door and inserted a fibre optic camera to film what lies beyond, only to see a second door.

It's been over 7 years and now a Leeds University team is said to have been allowed to use their robot technology to find what lies behind the second door. However the project is lead and overseen by Dr Zahi Hawass (Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities), who carefully controls what is relayed back to the public.
Apart from a a very brief mention of activity taking place in 2009/2010 on his website's blog, this exciting operation is almost unheard of anywhere.

Seen by many as an egotistical nightmare who thrives on limelight and money, Dr Hawass is thought by many to be keeping the secrets of the ancient Egyptians to himself. The good news is, that by law, he is forced to retire this year, so who knows what will come to light. Maybe he will decide to retire with a bang and come forward with more up to date information...or not.

....Just to whet the appetite for discovery and adventure, here's a few of my favorite snaps from 1922 when Howard Carter discovered the intact tomb of Tutankhamun. How exciting would it have been to break the seals and enter into this unseen world of mystery and treasure!

Scroll to see replies

That is one Loooong shaft
Reply 2
lukejoshjedi

you havent seen mine...
Reply 3
lukejoshjedi

One that I would give my shaft to climb into...not that I'd fit.
Trouser Snake
One that I would give my shaft to climb into...not that I'd fit.

Lmao how coincidental that you're called Trouser snake... :rolleyes:
I think it'll be Michael Jackson
Reply 6
lukejoshjedi
Lmao how coincidental that you're called Trouser snake... :rolleyes:

I've been planning this for years.
Reply 7
elvis is in there.
Reply 8
Any non retarded views?
Reply 9
Why didn't they just drill through the second door when they drilled through the first door. Fecking idiots.
Not much probably. All the good stuff was looted centuries ago when Egypt was part of successive Islamic Empires.
Puma
Why didn't they just drill through the second door when they drilled through the first door. Fecking idiots.

Good question, more importantly, why has it taken 7 years to get to this stage.
I don't know, but Josef Fritzl has been looking rather nervous recently.
Trouser Snake
I've been planning this for years.

I see, this is great timing
Aphotic Cosmos
Not much probably. All the good stuff was looted centuries ago when Egypt was part of successive Islamic Empires.

Yes, in the main chambers but not in these tiny chamber paths. They were only first discovered in 19th Century and because they are so hard to access no one has been able to find out what lies within them.

New tombs and areas are constantly being discovered and The Great Pyramid is thought to have many undiscovered and therefore un-looted secrets within it.

Now whether the current people loot what they find and show the rest to the public is another thing.
Reply 15
Hopefully the ancient and secret recipe of Mama Pharoah's world-renowned Egyptian cupcakes.
Obviously this sort of thread isn't well suited to TSR...oh well back to threads about rimming and the like
I haven't got a clue and really want to know now. It's actually irritating me they didn't smash through right away.

I guess the best we can hope for is being a tomb completely packed to the rafters of gold an duels. Like they said tutankhamun having a silly amount of gold etc and he was a pretty insignificant pharaoh. Surprised they just don't use some mega good sonar or something to scan stuff. I mean isn't it really good these days.
OP what is the book throth??? that sounds interesting.
Reply 19
I suspect that's where the Lizardmen secretly control the Egyptian Government.

Latest