The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4120
Seanisonfire
Nah I love Rammstein and Placebo. Slayer and Iron Maiden should be fun too. And I'm excited about Henry Rollins as well, I've never heard any of his spoken word stuff but it's Henry Rollins. And well, for Download you really can't talk :wink2: I think seeing they'd put The Blackout and Hollywood Undead on the main stage last year put me off for life.

Yeah the headliners at Download are always awful. But they always have at least some goo music on the smaller stages. Meshuggah, Architects, Sylosis etc played last year.

As I said not my choice though, the problem is I don't know anyone else that has similar music tastes to me that lives nearby, plus uni restricts when and where I can go. :frown:

have you got a Sonisphere ticket yet? Going to the free gig in Poland?
Reply 4121
Hope everything is alright here, awkward situation:
http://www.blackmetal.co.uk/forums/1-general-black-metal-discussions/495991-ukbm-lyrinx-signs-with-avante-garde.html

Looking forward to the album anyway, regardless of label.
Keeno89
Yeah the headliners at Download are always awful. But they always have at least some goo music on the smaller stages. Meshuggah, Architects, Sylosis etc played last year.

As I said not my choice though, the problem is I don't know anyone else that has similar music tastes to me that lives nearby, plus uni restricts when and where I can go. :frown:

have you got a Sonisphere ticket yet? Going to the free gig in Poland?

No, not yet. I've put a £40 deposit on one and have to pay the rest before May which I think is awesome. Sadly the deadline for Poland was 31st December and they don't do it for deposited tickets anyway :frown: probably for the best from a financial point of view...
Reply 4123
Seanisonfire
No, not yet. I've put a £40 deposit on one and have to pay the rest before May which I think is awesome. Sadly the deadline for Poland was 31st December and they don't do it for deposited tickets anyway :frown: probably for the best from a financial point of view...

Yeah I had a look into trips to Warsaw and it wasn't going to be cheap :wink:

It's good you can pay the rest later but I would prefer to get it all out of the way... even if I had to spend £376 on Download tickets 2 days before Christmas :eek3: Although my mate owes me half of that back, it's still a LOT to spend in one go.

2 albums I only realised after I made my album of the year thing...

Starring Janet Leight - Spectrum
Into the Moat - The Campaign.

Both amazing and would have made my list :yep: Btw Seanisonfire check those bands out, I know you love some mathcore so have a go. Starring Janet Leigh is insane, goes from a lounge jazz esque clean passage to full on grindcore to no time at all! Here's a vid of my fave song from the album
Reply 4124
Ihsahn's new album leaked, just listened to it on youtube, and man it's good...

The saxophone works very nicely with everything else, and you get the feeling Ihsahn is seeing how far he can push his boundaries.

Placed my pre-order : )
Reply 4126
Hi, I hate traditional black metal. (that's how I call it by the way) I can tolerate some of it, maybe even enjoy but not for long. Dissection and Cruelty and the Beast-era Cradle of Filth, I can listen to. Gorgoroth and Emperor, I can't. Other black metal bands I've tried getting into, I didn't like.

However, I liked this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOK6Dw98CZs

(Mikael <3)

I don't want to be recommended loads and loads of bands and artists, at least not now, but I was just wondering if any of his other solo work is similar to that?
Reply 4127
Le Gris
Hi, I hate traditional black metal. (that's how I call it by the way) I can tolerate some of it, maybe even enjoy but not for long. Dissection and Cruelty and the Beast-era Cradle of Filth, I can listen to. Gorgoroth and Emperor, I can't. Other black metal bands I've tried getting into, I didn't like.

However, I liked this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOK6Dw98CZs

(Mikael <3)

I don't want to be recommended loads and loads of bands and artists, at least not now, but I was just wondering if any of his other solo work is similar to that?

I'm a big Ihsahn fan, his solo albums are a breath of fresh air in the progressive black metal scene. His new album has leaked and I've listened to it on youtube (as well as pre-ordering), and it's really something else. Drenched in saxophone, but the sax never sounds out of place.

Give Scarab - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJQz8lng9TY - and Elevator - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6GpfD7G310 - a listen. Elevator is quite clever in that you get the feeling of descending/ascending because of the chromatic riffs.

If you like that, get his album angl.
Reply 4128
Seanisonfire
Sonisphere :sogood:

Looks good :smile:
I got my ticket the day they came out and hopefully going to be at the Poland one too - I'm already excited by it :biggrin:
Anyone going to Metal Camp or Brutal Assault?
Reply 4130
Jelliot
I'm a big Ihsahn fan, his solo albums are a breath of fresh air in the progressive black metal scene. His new album has leaked and I've listened to it on youtube (as well as pre-ordering), and it's really something else. Drenched in saxophone, but the sax never sounds out of place.

Give Scarab - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJQz8lng9TY - and Elevator - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6GpfD7G310 - a listen. Elevator is quite clever in that you get the feeling of descending/ascending because of the chromatic riffs.

If you like that, get his album angl.

Thanks, I'll definitely give them a try when I'm done being angry. Just getting into The Cure's Seventeen Seconds. : D
Reply 4131
concubine
Anyone going to Metal Camp or Brutal Assault?

Brutal Assault always seems to get the best lineups (along with Hellfest). Doesn't look as good as 2009 so far though. Would still love to go if the money is there!
RJA
Brutal Assault always seems to get the best lineups (along with Hellfest). Doesn't look as good as 2009 so far though. Would still love to go if the money is there!

Aye, 2008 and 2009 were great. Metal Camp I've never been to but even though the lineup is really weak so far the location and everything seems amazing, plus it's 5 days or so.

Hellfest should be good this year too.
Atomik
Metallica are the world's most overrated band.

Amen to that.
Anybody ever notice that you can sing the lyrics to Slipknot's Duality rather well to the verse of La Roux's Bulletproof? Start the first verse with "I've screamed until my veins collapse"...
Reply 4135
mikeyd85
Anybody ever notice that you can sing the lyrics to Slipknot's Duality rather well to the verse of La Roux's Bulletproof? Start the first verse with "I've screamed until my veins collapse"...

How did you even find that one out? :woo:
Devel
How did you even find that one out? :woo:

I had the La Roux song in my head, and because I don't know the lyrics, I was just making stuff up... It soon dawned on me after that Duality's lyrics fit in there nicely...

I'm weird like that! These things just pop in to my head!
Just thought i'd slip this in... two amazing albums:
Anterior - This Age Of Silence
Forever In Terror - Restless In The Tides
I figured I post here seeing as I just discovered Parkway Drive.
I've been listening to Horizons and its one of the best albums I've heard in ages. It's like the best screaming bits from Killswitch Engage + As I lay Dying but slightly heavier and with amazing riffs.
I can't wait for their new album (this summer?)
Reply 4139
skinnyeddy
I figured I post here seeing as I just discovered Parkway Drive.
I've been listening to Horizons and its one of the best albums I've heard in ages. It's like the best screaming bits from Killswitch Engage + As I lay Dying but slightly heavier and with amazing riffs.
I can't wait for their new album (this summer?)

You're obviously listening to the new KsE :p:

Parkway Drive are a bit like August Burns Red... when you first hear them you think wow that's pretty decent. but it soon wears thin when every song sounds the same. Or that's my opinion anyway... Too many breakdowns and absolutely no variation in vocals boring quickly for me at least

Latest