The Student Room Group
Dan1992
they're the 3 functions of price.

rationing means that's how goods are spread out/distributed between people (by people's ability to afford them)

signalling, i think, is where, say if a firm is making supernatural profits, it acts as a signal to others to enter into the market and compete the profits down (that's why under perfect competition supernatural profits only occur in the short-run)

and incentive is obvious... it's people's reason for doing stuff, e.g. you work for a price, not out of the kindness of your heart (ignoring charity workers or whatever)

Genius - thank you!!!
Reply 2
Dan1992
they're the 3 functions of price.

rationing means that's how goods are spread out/distributed between people (by people's ability to afford them)

signalling, i think, is where, say if a firm is making supernatural profits, it acts as a signal to others to enter into the market and compete the profits down (that's why under perfect competition supernatural profits only occur in the short-run)

and incentive is obvious... it's people's reason for doing stuff, e.g. you work for a price, not out of the kindness of your heart (ignoring charity workers or whatever)

Hey do u know what the price mechanism is? Like the definitionnnn? :smile:
Reply 3
I'm just going to reply without reading other posts to test my own knowledge.

Signalling function is the price signalling for increases or drops in supply for producers.
Incentive function is , uhm.... For example, consumers like a certain type of fashion due to a change in season (it's winter and consumers want winter hats), this creates an incentive for producers to produce more winter hats???:confused:
Rationing is producers adjusting prices of products in line with targetted consumers' social class

Edit: Compared it, mostly right, I think.....
Reply 4
Incentive function is as price rises firms increase production/new firms enter the market to capitalise on the high prices (which then of course creates excess supply thus lowering the price again, Smiths 'invisible hand' init). This is why the supply curve slopes upward.
Reply 5
Jono404
Incentive function is as price rises firms increase production/new firms enter the market to capitalise on the high prices (which then of course creates excess supply thus lowering the price again, Smiths 'invisible hand' init). This is why the supply curve slopes upward.

I get it now, that's why housing is an 'incentive good'.

Latest