The Student Room Group

Social Work!! interview

Scroll to see replies

jadeyA91
I havent had my interview yet lol its in feb. sorry

thank u mine is end of jan york have just received the letter hope i will be fine:woo: :woo: :woo:
Reply 381
FLAMINGO34
thank u mine is end of jan york have just received the letter hope i will be fine:woo: :woo: :woo:

I'm sure you will be, good luck!
Hi :smile:
Ive recently applied for the Social Work BA Hons degree.
Ive heard back from them all now and are in the middle of the interviews and selection processes.
However, whilst at these I began to notice that most of the applicants seem to be mature students.
Ive also began to accept that possibly my age is working against me as Im only 18 and will be starting straight out of college so therefore dont have anywhere near the same amount of experience as those applicants applying at 30+ with years of experience.
Is anyone else experiencing the same sort of thing?
beckyl1312
Hi :smile:
Ive recently applied for the Social Work BA Hons degree.
Ive heard back from them all now and are in the middle of the interviews and selection processes.
However, whilst at these I began to notice that most of the applicants seem to be mature students.
Ive also began to accept that possibly my age is working against me as Im only 18 and will be starting straight out of college so therefore dont have anywhere near the same amount of experience as those applicants applying at 30+ with years of experience.
Is anyone else experiencing the same sort of thing?

When I started my MSc I was 21 and had come straight from my first degree. There were a few people who were a year older and had taken a year out after uni, but most people were older. One of my practice teachers said she'd had very young students before who were very good, it's about attitude and maturity more than age. I didn't have much experience going into the course and although I felt inferior listening to other people's experiences, it didn't affect my ability to do the course. There were undergraduates who were only 18/19, you won't be the only one. If you're determined and are cut out for the job, age won't matter.
yeah thats true i just feel like im getting nowhere with it and wondering whether it would be wiser to take a year out and get more experience.
I think im just going to see how these last interviews go and then see where my options lie.
thanks for the advice though :smile:
beckyl1312
yeah thats true i just feel like im getting nowhere with it and wondering whether it would be wiser to take a year out and get more experience.
I think im just going to see how these last interviews go and then see where my options lie.
thanks for the advice though :smile:

Hi Becky,

Clearly the unis you've applied to think you've got something going for you regardless of (or possibly because of) your age. There will be other 18/19 year olds on the course, even if there haven't been many in your particular interview groups. It's true that unis will look at your experience level, but they're also looking at you as a person - your enthusiasm for the subject, your willingness to learn, your attitudes towards other people and so on. Go out there, be yourself, and give your remaining interviews your best shot. This year could turn out to be your year :smile:

Jen
yeah thankyou :smile:
you dont happen to know anything about the 'extra' thing on UCAS do you?
just thinking of my options if it turns out im not successful in my interviews
I don't know about Extra but a few years ago someone I knew got into Royal Holloway through Clearing. They had a waiting list but she managed to bypass that because she had high grades. It is a competitive course, so I'm not sure how many unis will have places in Extra, although I don't know much about how it works so may be completely wrong :smile:
yeah okay thanks anyway i'll just have to wait and see :smile:
Reply 389
ok I'm slightly concerned...people are saying they've already got dates and/or done interviews for social work degree courses?! I sent of my application 3 days ago, before the deadline, but have I missed out already or damaged my chances of getting an interview??? shiiiittt. worried please someone reply! thanks
02edwah
ok I'm slightly concerned...people are saying they've already got dates and/or done interviews for social work degree courses?! I sent of my application 3 days ago, before the deadline, but have I missed out already or damaged my chances of getting an interview??? shiiiittt. worried please someone reply! thanks

They know people will apply right up to the deadline and will just be going through the ones they have already got so they don't have to fit everything after the deadline.
Try not to worry :smile:
Reply 391
~ Mandy
They know people will apply right up to the deadline and will just be going through the ones they have already got so they don't have to fit everything after the deadline.
Try not to worry :smile:

phewww. thanks!
Reply 392
i didnt know people have started hearing from royal holloway yet !!!!
i sent mine off mid december...i think around the 15th??? anyone actually heard from them yet?
Reply 393
I am on a access course i have applied to uwe, gloucestershire, newport and cardiff. Any one had a interview for these yet.
UWE has sent crimal convition letter that it, but they have sent my friend a questionaire yet they have not ask her about her crimal conviction. I dont know what that means.
Aint heard from gloucestershire yet and that is my first chose anyone elsa heard
Reply 394
I'm applying to do Social Work, only 17 but will be 18 by the time University comes round. Slightly apprehensive about the interview process though, I've got four: York, Nottingham, Sheffield and Bath - and a rejection from Goldsmiths! Anyone got any experiences of interviews this year?
FLAMINGO34
hi again guess what i have been called to york on the 28 of january . can you tell me about an individual questions apart
from the helping capacity questions and as well any case study coz thats what my letter is saying im so scared as i do not know what to say and they need only 26 students oh my God as well did you have to write anything

Hi, Im just writing as Im a first year social work student at york and remember the day of worrying about the interview. The interview is easy as long as you relax and be yourself. Make sure you know a brief background of social work, current issues in the news and have your experience at hand to talk about. You will be given a case study usually to examine for 30mins and prepare answers to questions which you will talk about in your interview. Stressing your good time management and organisational skills is a must. York is a very competitive uni to get into and there is alot of mature students applying with quite a bit of experience. Good luck!
lottieslee
Hi, Im just writing as Im a first year social work student at york and remember the day of worrying about the interview. The interview is easy as long as you relax and be yourself. Make sure you know a brief background of social work, current issues in the news and have your experience at hand to talk about. You will be given a case study usually to examine for 30mins and prepare answers to questions which you will talk about in your interview. Stressing your good time management and organisational skills is a must. York is a very competitive uni to get into and there is alot of mature students applying with quite a bit of experience. Good luck!

thank you very much about your advice, i will start searching for current news do you think December news is current?
Reply 397
I have got a group interview for Birmingham University for the social work masters degree. I was wondering if anyone has had a group interview and could give me advice. I have to watch a 15 minute video and then take part in a group interview. Thanks for any help.
Cilz
I have got a group interview for Birmingham University for the social work masters degree. I was wondering if anyone has had a group interview and could give me advice. I have to watch a 15 minute video and then take part in a group interview. Thanks for any help.

I had a group interview at Southampton. We got a case study to make notes on then were split into groups of four. We each got 2 minutes to give our comments on the study, then discussed it as a group. The group is looking at your communication skills as well as your actual comments :smile:
Reply 399
That is very helpful, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest