The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hamzab

If you go to York or Manchester, I would advise doing straight Econ their, more respected than PPE.

Not true. Stop giving bad advice on IB&C. You aren't even in uni yet.
Reply 6041
Prince of Zamunda
Not true. Stop giving bad advice on IB&C. You aren't even in uni yet.

Ok, but just as an aside, I have actually been to Uni.
Reply 6042
Zweihander
Help me out people, Business Management @ KCL vs. IFRM/BIF @ Cass - best career prospects?

Damn, that sig is going to cause you some neg reps from the feminists around here!
Zweihander
Help me out people, Business Management @ KCL vs. IFRM/BIF @ Cass - best career prospects?

Is this for undergrad? If so I'd say Kings.
Favourite Worst Nightmare
Is this for undergrad? If so I'd say Kings.

Yah, undergrad, any particular reasons?
Zweihander
Yah, undergrad, any particular reasons?

Kings has a much higher rep for undergrad courses and is visited by more firms for presenations and such. For example:

http://www.mckinsey.com/locations/UK_Ireland/Recruiting_Events.aspx

Although consultancy may not be your desired field, that gives an accurate picture of the most targetted unis. Apart from the inexplicable exclusion of Warwick.
Kings has a much higher rep for undergrad courses and is visited by more firms for presenations and such. For example:

Although consultancy may not be your desired field, that gives an accurate picture of the most targetted unis. Apart from the inexplicable exclusion of Warwick.

Can't believe Durham isn't there either.

I'm quite surprised by the big representation of Irish unis.
loggins
Can't believe Durham isn't there either.

Yeah when I first saw it I asked why Durham wasn't there but bath and bristol were but just got negged the hell out of by people saying I was making Durham students look bad...part and parcel of the IB sub-forum I suppose. As for why Durham/Warwick aren't there, it can only be because they can't be bothered coming up that far north in England. Seems a bit odd that they would go to St. Andrews by that logic though as there are no offices up in Scotland and St.Andrews is quite a distance from Edinburgh. Its a mystery.
Christo

The Dublin office is expanding, maybe thats why.
Yeah when I first saw it I asked why Durham wasn't there but bath and bristol were but just got negged the hell out of by people saying I was making Durham students look bad...part and parcel of the IB sub-forum I suppose. As for why Durham/Warwick aren't there, it can only be because they can't be bothered coming up that far north in England. Seems a bit odd that they would go to St. Andrews by that logic though as there are no offices up in Scotland and St.Andrews is quite a distance from Edinburgh. Its a mystery.

Yes I do recall being accused for negging you for that... Wasn't me though, promise!:
Reply 6051
hamzab
I've contacted Nottingham and Oxford and they said they didn't mind at all.

Cambridge say it shouldn't be same or similar course.

Oxford don't accept transfer students. I don't know about applying for the same course though, maybe you are right. I guess you'd have to explain why you want to abandon your current course.
Reply 6052
Christo

Just a speculation, but isn't Ireland a tax haven for large companies? That is companies most likely to employ consultants.
Reply 6053
I was under the impression that big consultancy firms recruit from oxbridge and almost nowhere else. Why do they go to all of those unis then? Just to widen their circle just in case a top-student shows interest?
Reply 6054
lexinuk
Cambridge say it shouldn't be same or similar course.

Oxford don't accept transfer students. I don't know about applying for the same course though, maybe you are right. I guess you'd have to explain why you want to abandon your current course.

Thanks for that mate.

I'm going to be re-applying so no chance of a transfer into 2nd year.

Not going to apply to Cambridge, don't do PPE :p:

Thanks again
Reply 6055
andcho
I was under the impression that big consultancy firms recruit from oxbridge and almost nowhere else. Why do they go to all of those unis then? Just to widen their circle just in case a top-student shows interest?

Even if what you say is true, my guess is that there are less oxbridge graduates willing to work at consultancy firms than there are places, so the companies somehow have to fill the remaining places. Just an anecdote to illustrate this -- I spoke to some Oxford final year physicists lately. They had no clue what to do after they finish but they told me they passionately hate business and would never consider working in the City.

Also, while I don't know for sure, I think a consultancy would want to have a diverse workforce, having only oxbridge graduates may put off some clients. I would even argue it could create a bad culture in the organization. Diversity is good.

And final point - a lot of (if not most) Oxbridge academics have their degrees from a different university. Ergo, there is a lot of bright people at other universities.
Reply 6056
lexinuk
Even if what you say is true, my guess is that there are less oxbridge graduates willing to work at consultancy firms than there are places, so the companies somehow have to fill the remaining places. Just an anecdote to illustrate this -- I spoke to some Oxford final year physicists lately. They had no clue what to do after they finish but they told me they passionately hate business and would never consider working in the City.

Also, while I don't know for sure, I think a consultancy would want to have a diverse workforce, having only oxbridge graduates may put off some clients. I would even argue it could create a bad culture in the organization. Diversity is good.

And final point - a lot of (if not most) Oxbridge academics have their degrees from a different university. Ergo, there is a lot of bright people at other universities.

yeah ok, you're right. i was just curious.

what degree would be suitable for consultancy? or is it like IB-where it does matter to some extent, but possible to get there with any degree.
Reply 6057
andcho
what degree would be suitable for consultancy? or is it like IB-where it does matter to some extent, but possible to get there with any degree.

I did some consulting on my own and also worked for an IT consultancy. I don't know much about management and financial consultancies.

I would say a degree that gives you a combination of quantitative and "soft skills" - essay writing, debating, persuading, etc. Something like "Physics and Philosophy" or "Mathematics and Philosophy", "Economics and History/Philosophy" would be the best starting point in my opinion.
Reply 6058
lexinuk
I did some consulting on my own and also worked for an IT consultancy. I don't know much about management and financial consultancies.

I would say a degree that gives you a combination of quantitative and "soft skills" - essay writing, debating, persuading, etc. Something like "Physics and Philosophy" or "Mathematics and Philosophy", "Economics and History/Philosophy" would be the best starting point in my opinion.

oh really? could you explain more detailed what management consultants do? (if you have time) and did you enjoy it?

would a management degree be suitable?
Reply 6059
What's the chances for actuarial science at LSE? Actuarial science is obviously geared towards actuary work, but surely it's good coming from LSE and the degree is all about economics and maths, so what's it's like for IB chances? Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending