The Student Room Group

Hourly pay for a 16 year old

I've been getting £4.10 an hour at a retail store over christmas. Is this average or really crap? Bear in mind I'm only 16 and @ college.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's probably just below average but it's above minimum wage I tend to find places will give you abot 4.50 ish, I think you are doing not to badly with that amount though and it's good to have a job.
Most of my friends (16/17) earn between £3.50 and £5 an hour, so it seems to be the middle ground within my group of friends. I'm just above £5 an hour, but then I don't get things my friends on lower rates do so it all balances out.
it isn't bad I get £4.61 p/h at the moment but when I turn 18 at the end of the month it shoots up to £5.85 :biggrin:

and £4.61 is the same rate for 16/17
17 and get 6.95 an hour
Reply 5
Paul36251
I've been getting £4.10 an hour at a retail store over christmas. Is this average or really crap? Bear in mind I'm only 16 and @ college.

Minimum for 16 is about £3.40.

I started work when I was 15 on £4.00, next job was £4.85. Current Job, is £5.95. It depends on the employer, in my case H&M. Fantastic pay!

What retail store?
Reply 6
Yeah it sounds fine for 16 year old. Be glad that you managed to get a job.
angrydanmarin
17 and get 6.95 an hour

Where do you work!? :biggrin:
You're soo lucky.

Im 17 and i only get paid £3.60 an hour!!!

Trying to save for Uni...soooo not gonna happen.

(although when i turn 18 - March - it gets upped to £4.80)
Reply 9
I'm 17 and my brother is 15 we work at the local fish and chip shop and get £6/hour and five weeks holiday a year. Generally, if you work in a local business where the boss is reasonable they will pay you at least £4.80- my past jobs have been £4.80 and £5.00. Even my 17 year old friend who has a McJob gets £4.65.
Reply 10
17 and I get £3.70 :sadnod:
Reply 11
Friends-Addict

(although when i turn 18 - March - it gets upped to £4.80)

£4.83 I'd hope.

TBH I always got the minimum wage rate when I worked at WHSmith, but I got the full minimum wage (it was around £5.20 when I left AFAIK) even before I was 18. I think I may have been some strange exception though.
When I worked at 16 I got £7.50 an hour - that seemed high to me though. I think most people probably get minimum wage.
Reply 13
i'm 16 and get paid £4.99 in my retail job but £6.08 in hospitality. so it varies
I get £6. I'd say that's quite good but not hugely terrific.
I used to get paid around 6.90 an hour once I turned 18 at my old place of work, and it was 5.80 before I was 18...So I'd say yours isn't bad :smile:

The place I'll be at now is more around the 12-15 an hour mark :sexface:, but it's not paid as an hourly rate haha.
Reply 16
When I was 16 and started working (September 2008) I was only on £3.50 an hour! However this increased to £4 after a few weeks, and then to £4.50 a few weeks after Christmas 2008. Just after my 17th birthday I asked my employer for a payrise to £5, and they actually gave me it :smile: so yeah. I think £4.10 is not bad for a 16 year old!
Yekim_8
It's probably just below average but it's above minimum wage I tend to find places will give you abot 4.50 ish, I think you are doing not to badly with that amount though and it's good to have a job.

This. I was on £5.75 when I had my first job at 16.
Reply 18
Thanks for all the responses. Not many people are hiring so unfortunately I can't really be picky!
thekeythingis
Where do you work!? :biggrin:

Lloyds Tsb :biggrin:

half the hours though, as its on the weekend, so in all hjonesty i get worse pay slips than anyone ever

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending