The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
aaron_mcnulty
im doing resit on wed, i seem to know all the stuff and yet i balls'ed it up twice! great!

Welsh board just do my nutt in. They seem to give credit for loads of simple stuff and abserloutly nothing for depth!. I heard they want " RANGE". yeah.....Sum high up (cheif examiner) woman came to our college and she talked waffle, pointless.

Anyways, has any1 got any decent site for PY1 because im bored with paper and want summin on my new laptop.

thanks xD

how did you find it?
Reply 81
jabed786
BTW people who did py1 today, how did you find it? :smile:
I thought it was a nice paper, only major problem I had with it was if my handwriting was legible near the end or if I lost a few bonus marks for not knowing the year psychologists came up with theories/research.

You don't need to know the years do you?! :lolwut:
no u don't. I thought exam was decent.

aqa would mark A,

welsh E
Reply 83
Yeah Welsh board is quite.. strict with their marking. Iirc, they were struggling to find competent markers or something?
aaron_mcnulty
no u don't. I thought exam was decent.

aqa would mark A,

welsh E

Having done both boards , I dont think so. AQA teachers have been tearing their hair out over the exam papers and marking last summer and over the questions yesterday.

WJEC may have its issues with markers but AQA ( especially AQA A) is still tinkering with its questions and its difficult to know what the questions will be like.

OCR teachers arent exacly jumping for joy either as their first paper proved sneaky with its questions. At least WJEC questions are predictable because they do promise to stick to a format. Thats half the battle won in my view.
I know which I prefer teaching and I know which I get the best results with.
Reply 85
I wouldn't say that an A on the AQA board is equivalent to an E on the WJEC board, but even teachers in my college's Psychology department commented on the fact that WJEC were a lot harsher than AQA are. A lot of students had their papers requested back and some were crossmarked by the Psychology teachers and found to have not recieved as many marks as they should have.
Reply 86
Reply 87
Got to that stage where I thought I'd learnt everything but now finding terms I can't remember definitions for grrrrr.
Time for recap sessions and lots of practice papers I think.
Reply 88
bethan92
Got to that stage where I thought I'd learnt everything but now finding terms I can't remember definitions for grrrrr.
Time for recap sessions and lots of practice papers I think.

Do you use WJEC past papers? I find that their mark schemes are a bit ****. :ninja:
Reply 89
mel0n
Do you use WJEC past papers? I find that their mark schemes are a bit ****. :ninja:

My teachers made us a tonne of practice papers to do so I've just been doing those and getting her to mark them :smile:
Reply 90
I have so much left to revise. Looked at some mark schemes for the essay questions and the 'potential content' appears so different to what I have in my essays. I get the feeling that the markers use the mark schemes as if they're set in stone rather than giving you credit for writing other things that aren't necessarily in the mark scheme, if that makes sense?

Also, the AQA definition of a confounding variable appears to be different to that of WJEC. I asked my teacher and he reckons that WJEC think an extraneous variable is a confounding variable. =\

Finally, something maybe useful: http://www.tonyryan.net/PY3/examhelp/qns345.html
Reply 91
mel0n
I have so much left to revise. Looked at some mark schemes for the essay questions and the 'potential content' appears so different to what I have in my essays. I get the feeling that the markers use the mark schemes as if they're set in stone rather than giving you credit for writing other things that aren't necessarily in the mark scheme, if that makes sense?

Also, the AQA definition of a confounding variable appears to be different to that of WJEC. I asked my teacher and he reckons that WJEC think an extraneous variable is a confounding variable. =\

Finally, something maybe useful: http://www.tonyryan.net/PY3/examhelp/qns345.html

My definition is an uncontrolled variable that causes an unwanted effect on the dependent variable therefore obscuring the effect of the independent variable.
Is that anything like the one you have?

And thanks for that link, looks good I'm going to have a proper look now :smile:
Reply 92
bethan92
My definition is an uncontrolled variable that causes an unwanted effect on the dependent variable therefore obscuring the effect of the independent variable.
Is that anything like the one you have?

And thanks for that link, looks good I'm going to have a proper look now :smile:

Oooh, I've been told it's something like 'a variable other than the IV and DV which systematically affects one group in the study'. :lolwut:

And I'm off to lesson now! Good luck with revision! :smile:
Reply 93
:bump:

Anyone got any disadvantages of the scientific method in psychology? :colondollar:

I decided I'm going to learn the applications essay and miss out the animal ethics one.. :ninja:
Reply 94
confounding variables - affect the IV e.g a room full of young girls has background noise and another full of old girls doesnt have any disturbing noises - so this can affect data
extraneous variables - affect the IV but at similar levels e.g. both rooms have noise but the results are not skewed.

Anyone got any disadvantages of the scientific method in psychology?

I decided I'm going to learn the applications essay and miss out the animal ethics one..

Disadvantages - I think I PMed you about this mel0n =]
but after some research I am going to answer it like so

lab expt are a type of scientifc method - replicablec/clear variables but lack ecological validity. Heather (1974) said how the participants behave in a lab is not an accurate indication of how they behave outside of it. .... So results are not meaningful

Demand characteristics can happen in this type of research. Orne (I think its 1962) said these come into play because participants will activiely try to look for cues in the experiment to find the underlying purpose so they know how to 'preform' (and please the experimenter) whilst the researcher wants them to respond passively i.e. naturally to reflect real life.

Rosenthal (1966) said there are such things as experimenter bias, what the experimenter is 'like' correlates with how he influences the participants perception. There is a study to support this i forgot the title- something about mazes and mouses.

on another note... i cant believe they are changing the wording of the questions ahhhh what use is learning any essays now. I am so bloody confused :s-smilie: :frown: :angry:
btw I'm missing out the applications since that seems a bit too 'iffy' because what if the marker doesnt really know the topic thaat well or something.
Reply 95
wellpastmybedtime
Having done both boards , I dont think so. AQA teachers have been tearing their hair out over the exam papers and marking last summer and over the questions yesterday.

WJEC may have its issues with markers but AQA ( especially AQA A) is still tinkering with its questions and its difficult to know what the questions will be like.

OCR teachers arent exacly jumping for joy either as their first paper proved sneaky with its questions. At least WJEC questions are predictable because they do promise to stick to a format. Thats half the battle won in my view.
I know which I prefer teaching and I know which I get the best results with.

hey, have a look at the link which mel0n has posted on this page (community-tes link)

and you'll see that according to one of the teachers there, they have changed the questions :O
Reply 96
I would miss out the applications but the animal ethics is just so confusing and annoying!!
Reply 97
Ahhh its tomorrow :frown: I'm really nervous now. I feel like there is so much to revise what with the stupid essays and the chance they might alter the questions.
Reply 98
I officially just can't seem to learn the Discuss Ethical Issues of NHA research essay :frown:
Reply 99
jabed786
Ahhh its tomorrow :frown: I'm really nervous now. I feel like there is so much to revise what with the stupid essays and the chance they might alter the questions.

What? :eek3:

Latest

Trending

Trending