The Student Room Group

Social Work - Teesside/Northumbria

So, has anyone applied for Social Work at Teesside or Northumbria? Or is anyone doing this course at the minute?
Reply 1
I had my interview at Teeside on wednesday and already heard back saying that I have a place :smile: I also applied to Northumbria but got declined without having an interview. From what ive heard both are really good courses. Have you applied to both of them?
Reply 2
Oh well done. What did they ask in your interview?
I applied to both but haven't heard back from Teesside yet, got an interview for Northumbria on 8th Feb.
Reply 3
Well done on the interview at Northumbria!
They didn't ask me very much about anything I had written about on my personal statement. They asked me why I wanted to study social work, who give a social worker the authority to apply court orders etc, during my experience where did I feel social workers hadn't done their job properly, what values and knowledge a social worker needs. I found the interview experience quite daunting their interviewing style didn't put me at any ease but now thinking back this may just have been to see how you cope under pressure. At the end they said that I lacked enough social work knowledge and if they offered me a place what would I do to improve this. But I must have said something good because they offered me a place within 24 hours :smile: I thought the department and the uni were both really nice but didn't really like Middlesbrough... but I think I will be living in Newcastle with my boyfriend so it doesn't really matter. Where else have you applied? Do you know which one you want to do?
Reply 4
Jeeze, that sounds really daunting. Congratulations though. Do you have much work experience?
My interview is gonna last all day apparently. Group interview, written task and an individual. To say I'm scared would be an understatement.
I've just applied for those two and Sunderland, although I really don't want to go there. I'm a bit stuck cos I want to do the Teesside course but really want to be living in Newcastle, so it'll be a hard decision if I get offers from both! Although I'm not getting my hopes up.
What you said.

Congrats on the offer :five:
Reply 6
missdee
Jeeze, that sounds really daunting. Congratulations though. Do you have much work experience?
My interview is gonna last all day apparently. Group interview, written task and an individual. To say I'm scared would be an understatement.
I've just applied for those two and Sunderland, although I really don't want to go there. I'm a bit stuck cos I want to do the Teesside course but really want to be living in Newcastle, so it'll be a hard decision if I get offers from both! Although I'm not getting my hopes up.

Yeah a fair bit. Well atm I work full time in a residential home for the elderly and go to sixth form 4 hours a week to do another A level. So its pretty full on. Don't be scared! Just be yourself and try and relax... they want to see how you cope under pressure so do your best to be you :smile: I also applied to Sunderland and ive got an interview on the 19th of Feb and Carlisle in March which I don't really want to. I thought the uni was nice but I dunno how easy it will be getting the train to Middlesbrough from town Newcastle everyday and the cost. And im also a bit worried where the placements will be. Do you know if you get any choice for placements?
Reply 7
~ Mandy
Congrats on the offer :five:

Thankyou :smile: Im absolutly chuffed
Yeah a fair bit. Well atm I work full time in a residential home for the elderly and go to sixth form 4 hours a week to do another A level. So its pretty full on. Don't be scared! Just be yourself and try and relax... they want to see how you cope under pressure so do your best to be you :smile: I also applied to Sunderland and ive got an interview on the 19th of Feb and Carlisle in March which I don't really want to. I thought the uni was nice but I dunno how easy it will be getting the train to Middlesbrough from town Newcastle everyday and the cost. And im also a bit worried where the placements will be. Do you know if you get any choice for placements?

The uni will take it into account if you don't drive, or if you don't live near the uni. They may have potential placements near where you live, but there's no guarantee.
Reply 9
~ Mandy
The uni will take it into account if you don't drive, or if you don't live near the uni. They may have potential placements near where you live, but there's no guarantee.

Thats quite good :smile: Thanks
Hi everyone, I have an interview at Teesside on 18 Feb 10 and at Northumbria in March.....excited and nervous at the same time! Dont really know what to expect....
Reply 11
billingham bird
Hi everyone, I have an interview at Teesside on 18 Feb 10 and at Northumbria in March.....excited and nervous at the same time! Dont really know what to expect....

Good luck. :smile:
Has anybody that was at the 18 Feb 10 interviews at Teesside heard anything?? Just curious, as I have been to other interviews who have said there is a 6 week wait, but I have been unsuccessful and they informed within 24/48 hours.
Reply 13
Teesside are telling everybody it's a 6 week wait :smile:
Reply 14
billingham bird
Has anybody that was at the 18 Feb 10 interviews at Teesside heard anything?? Just curious, as I have been to other interviews who have said there is a 6 week wait, but I have been unsuccessful and they informed within 24/48 hours.

Yeah ive spoken to people at my other interview and they said that they wouldnt hear back until April
Thanks to both of you, I shall just have to wait :s-smilie:
Reply 16
does anyone know what campus the social work interview is held at for north umbria
Hi just came across your post, have you had your interview yet? I had mine on Tuesday and made a complete mess of it I was ill with nerves"!

Quick Reply

Latest