The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
rambo31
Hello, I need advise for understand what can I do !

I explain : On october, I started to work for the first time but my employer never told me to sign a P46 form. He didn't use my NIN, also, I paid a lot of taxes.

On start of january, I quite this job. On my new job, they ask me my P46.

I just start to understand that I need a P46 from my first job. If

Is it possible to start the procedure for have a P46 even 4 months after my first pay ?

Please help me because I'm french, don't understand everything with the UK law and I really would like my taxes refund !

Thank you very much !

You should have received a form P45 from your old employer when you left your previous job, and it is this that you should give to your new employer if you still have it (it's an important document, so try to be careful with it, along with other related documents like payslips). If you don't have a P45 for whatever reason, you can download a P46 to use instead from the website of HMRC (the UK tax authority) here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

Hopefully the form should be fairly easy to fill out (given your circumstances you'll need to put an 'X' in box B on the first page), but feel free to ask if anything's unclear. You'll find a more detailed explanation of the tax reclaim procedure, along with many other important aspects of the UK tax system, in the TSR guide to Income Tax and National Insurance, which I've recently rewritten. :smile:

Just to check, are you now resident in the UK? There are potential complications for Income Tax if you're not a UK resident (though if you are a French national, these probably shouldn't be anything serious for you).
Reply 21
Yes but I haven't a P45 !

I thought I had need to get P46 when it was first job.

Is it possible my last employer receive my P45 even if I never sign anything ?

When you say : "Your current employer can give you a P46 form to fill out if you don't have your P45 from your last employer."

I suppose you mean if my new employer create a P46 for me, I'll loose every tax refund from my last job.
Reply 22
Thank you Illusionary fro explanation.

Yes, I'm UK resident.

I already try to understand everythink in the procedure but it's too complicate.

The most important for me it's to find the procedure to get a P45 or P46 but refund my taxes.

Because I know my brother got the same problem 2 years ago and him new employer gave him a form and he lost every possibility to get back taxes.
Reply 23
rambo31
Yes but I haven't a P45 !

I thought I had need to get P46 when it was first job.

Is it possible my last employer receive my P45 even if I never sign anything ?

When you say : "Your current employer can give you a P46 form to fill out if you don't have your P45 from your last employer."

I suppose you mean if my new employer create a P46 for me, I'll loose every tax refund from my last job.

No, as per my post above you're fine to use a form P46 instead of a P45. While your employer should be able to provide you with a copy, it's easier to download one yourself (again, see the link above). This won't mean that you lose any entitlement to a a tax refund, and once the form has been properly processed you should receive this automatically the next time that you're paid.

If for any reason you have difficulty obtaining the refund, it might be worth giving your tax office a call. You can find contact details here. :smile:
Reply 24
Thank you, the sound is good ! It's mean my brother could get back his taxes as well ?
Reply 25
rambo31
Thank you, the sound is good ! It's mean my brother could get back his taxes as well ?

He probably should be able to, yes, though I'd expect that he'll need some proof of income to support a reclaim. Refunds from previous tax years (that is, 5 April 2009 or earlier) can be requested by writing to your tax office, enclosing proof of income (ideally a P45 or P60, though payslips may suffice). See this section of my guide for more details.

If he's having difficulty finding any proof of income, I'd again suggest calling his tax office as they may be able to suggest alternatives that could be used.
Reply 26
Hey, I worked quite alot over Christmas, and have quite alot of tax. But I should be able to get this back, how do I do this? Thanks
Reply 27
DeaNo G
Hey, I worked quite alot over Christmas, and have quite alot of tax. But I should be able to get this back, how do I do this? Thanks

The way to reclaim overpaid Income Tax depends on whether you're currently employed, and whether you expect to work again before the start of the next tax year on 6 April 2010. On the assumption that you're not employed now and don't expect to work again this tax year, you should download a form P50 (available from HMRC here), complete it and send it to your tax office along with Parts 2 and 3 of the form P45 that your employer should have given to you when you left the Christmas job. You can find contact details for your tax office here.

It's worth pointing out that you most likely won't be able to reclaim any National Insurance Contributions (NICs) that you may have paid.

For more details, take a look at the TSR guide to Income Tax and National Insurance, which I've recently rewritten, in particular the section on reclaiming overpaid tax here. Feel free to ask if anything's unclear. :smile:
Reply 28
Excellent, well I should hopefully be working before April. So should I need until the new tax year to get my tax back from Xmas?
Reply 29
DeaNo G
Excellent, well I should hopefully be working before April. So should I need until the new tax year to get my tax back from Xmas?

As part of the declaration on the P50, you have to state that you have either not been employed for four months, or don't intend to work before the end of the year, so you would have to wait if you're to be truthful in that declaration.

However, I assume that you overpaid at Christmas because you were on the wrong tax code? Once you're employed again, you should be able to get a refund of overpaid Income Tax through the payroll system automatically, provided that you are on the correct tax code. Usually, giving your P45 to your new employer (or completing a P46) should be sufficient to ensure that the correct code is used (most likely "647L" for you), but if not then a quick call to your tax office should sort it out. The tax office can send a notice of coding directly to your employer if necessary. :smile:
Hey, can I just ask.. I used to get taxed before I gave my employer a copy of my P45 and I'm getting less than my personal allowance - so I'm not getting taxed now. But the couple of hundred that was taxed previously - do I just need to fill out a form after March to claim it back?

And also, when I do any overtime, I get taxed on that, but not my normal working hours.. if you see what I'm saying, any reason for that?
Reply 31
On my pay slips over Xmas I had 'BR'?
Reply 32
DeaNo G
On my pay slips over Xmas I had 'BR'?

That's the reason why you had Income Tax deducted. "BR" = "Basic Rate", so that all of your income is taxed at the basic rate (currently 20%), without taking account of the 'personal allowance' of income that you can receive each year without having to pay Income Tax. Currently, this is £6,475 for most people. A 'tax code' of "647L" would indicate that you have the standard personal allowance.
This is what I did:

Wrote a letter stating the years I wanted to claim back. Photocopied all the p45/60s and sent them off. I took a while, but I got my chqs beginning of September. Quite handy just as I was going back to uni :biggrin:
Reply 34
Waterstorm
Hey, can I just ask.. I used to get taxed before I gave my employer a copy of my P45 and I'm getting less than my personal allowance - so I'm not getting taxed now. But the couple of hundred that was taxed previously - do I just need to fill out a form after March to claim it back?

And also, when I do any overtime, I get taxed on that, but not my normal working hours.. if you see what I'm saying, any reason for that?

I'd generally expect you to have already received a refund of any overpayment of Income Tax after handing in your P45.

It's not clear from your post whether you suffered this tax on your current or previous job, but I'd expect you to have had the refund automatically in either case, as the P45 includes details of amounts previously deducted during the tax year. Check your first payslip that had the correct tax code and see how much of a refund you received.

As for getting taxed on overtime payments, these shouldn't be treated any differently from your basic pay. Presumably they're included on the same payslips? Are you sure that it's not National Insurance that you're suffering on the overtime pay, rather than Income Tax? National Insurance Contributions (NICs) are deducted at a rate of 11% on your income above £110 in any given week. Unlike Income Tax, this threshold applies for each week in isolation, rather than as an overall threshold for the year.
Reply 35
DancinBallerina
This is what I did:

Wrote a letter stating the years I wanted to claim back. Photocopied all the p45/60s and sent them off. I took a while, but I got my chqs beginning of September. Quite handy just as I was going back to uni :biggrin:

:yes: Exactly what you should be doing for any refunds that you're due from previous tax years. :yy:
Illusionary
I'd generally expect you to have already received a refund of any overpayment of Income Tax after handing in your P45.

It's not clear from your post whether you suffered this tax on your current or previous job, but I'd expect you to have had the refund automatically in either case, as the P45 includes details of amounts previously deducted during the tax year. Check your first payslip that had the correct tax code and see how much of a refund you received.

As for getting taxed on overtime payments, these shouldn't be treated any differently from your basic pay. Presumably they're included on the same payslips? Are you sure that it's not National Insurance that you're suffering on the overtime pay, rather than Income Tax? National Insurance Contributions (NICs) are deducted at a rate of 11% on your income above £110 in any given week. Unlike Income Tax, this threshold applies for each week in isolation, rather than as an overall threshold for the year.

I don't think I have got a refund on the tax, how can I check- bank statement? Is that the only way, cause I use my card foreverything and it's too long to find where I may have got it back. And thep45 was just from jobseekers allowance, so it's my first job.

And about the overtime.. on my payslip it says I've been taxed like £6 and low amounts like that whenever I do extra (I get paid weekly btw, cause I'm a temp), it's not NI cause that shows up as seperate.

I might just go to the HR department and ask them..
Reply 37
Waterstorm
I don't think I have got a refund on the tax, how can I check- bank statement? Is that the only way, cause I use my card foreverything and it's too long to find where I may have got it back. And thep45 was just from jobseekers allowance, so it's my first job.

And about the overtime.. on my payslip it says I've been taxed like £6 and low amounts like that whenever I do extra (I get paid weekly btw, cause I'm a temp), it's not NI cause that shows up as seperate.

I might just go to the HR department and ask them..

A tax refund would usually be shown on your payslip, and I'd also expect your payslips to show cumulative tax deductions which you could use as a reference. Any refund would be usually be paid as a combined amount along with your wages, so you wouldn't see a separate bank deposit for it.

Is your full tax code "647L", without any qualifiers such as "Week 1"? As I said, there's no difference between overtime and basic pay for Income Tax purposes - how much are you getting paid in a week when you get overtime, split between basic and overtime pay?
Reply 38
Hi I put this in General Discussions because the Money and Finance section seemed to be all about university finance, and this is about a job money issue.

Okay, I started a new job last month and got paid today, I am basically on the wrong tax code - I earn over the personal allowance of £6457 so I am obviously eligible to pay some tax, but I am on tax code 'BR' and am thus paying 20% of my earnings on a zero allowance basis.

I read the TSR wiki about tax, so to clarify, to ammend my tax code - do I just give my new employer my P45 from my last job or fill in a P46?

How long does it take for them to ammend the tax code?

Will I get the *huge* amount of tax I paid this month back in my next payslip? How can I be sure I will get this money back?

I cant really help much on the changing stuff, but I do know you wont get your tax back until April unfortunatly!

Latest

Trending

Trending