The Student Room Group

Mature student 2010 entry thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
just a bit of an update, thank you for the advice owly, full time is best suited to me as if i go part time i may feel like i may never get to my goal lol i am impatient. I have recieved conditionals from lancaster, edge hill and manchester met, interview still looming for manchester and nothing from salford so far xx
Reply 61
Hey people!

Ill be 25 by the time i go to uni. My story is, i quit school when i was 13 and im now studying an access course. I think the course is great, and i dont really feel that ive missed out all those years! (not sure what message that gives) Was going to apply for Psychology but changed my mind about a month before i sent my ucas off. Went for mainly business management as i have some history in business roles and knew this could help my application This is what i have back so far:

UEA:Business management (offer:45 merits)
Anglia Ruskin:Business management (offer:Pass)
Oxford Brookes:Business management (nothing yet)
Oxford Brookes:Business management/Psychology (really want to get this! but nothing yet)
Warwick: Management (just to test the water)

Good luck to everyone and hope you all get what you want!

Nat x
Reply 62
Hi Everyone,

I had to drop out of A-Levels (Maths, Chem, Phys) the first time round due to ill health :frown: have been at FE College for nearly 3 years doing A-Levels, will have 3 A2 (English Lang & Lit, Law & Psych) and an AS (Philosophy) when I finish in the summer. Turning 28 in march and have taken up conditional offers to do Law in Glasgow and Stirling.

University of Exeter M103 01-Oct-2010 Conditional Declined 01-Feb-2010
campus: entry point: 1
University of Glasgow M114 14-Sep-2010 Conditional Firm 01-Feb-2010
Oxford Brookes University M100 01-Sep-2010 Conditional Declined 01-Feb-2010
Oxford Brookes University CM81 01-Sep-2010 Conditional Declined 01-Feb-2010
The University of Stirling M114 14-Sep-2010 Conditional Insurance 01-Feb-2010

Simon
I'm Lauren, I'm 23 and will be 24 in October.

I have applied to study English at;

Edinburgh, Edinburgh Napier, Glasgow and Stirling. I'm have unconditionals for all but Edinburgh... I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Everyone tells me I should pick Glasgow or edinburgh (if I get in) because they are the 'best' ad most prestigious but being older (and perhaps wiser!) I know this isn't the most important thing, Stirling is my number one at the moment (gut choice... always follow your instinct!).

Nice to meet you all!
Reply 64
I've been waiting since mid-November, I got 2 interview invites yesterday (on my birthday and all :biggrin: ) freaky timing!

UWE - Selection Day :frown: I am rubbish in group situations, so not holding my breath on that one.

Oxford Brookes - Interview.

Let the freak out commence :woo: lol
Reply 65
Summer241
I've been waiting since mid-November, I got 2 interview invites yesterday (on my birthday and all :biggrin: ) freaky timing!

UWE - Selection Day :frown: I am rubbish in group situations, so not holding my breath on that one.

Oxford Brookes - Interview.

Let the freak out commence :woo: lol

im sure you will be fine. when im in a stiuation like that i jus act like the person they want you to be.

i really want to go to brookes. hope they give me an offer.

good luck!
Shirl
Hi there!
No you're a youngster compared to me. I have a place at UCP Marjon, Plymouth and I will be 50 when I start!
Don't feel it though. Perhaps we could meet up when we're there.
My children are 21 and 18 and my daughter is hopefully off to Chichester in Sept.
I'm really excited at the thought of going to Uni too.

What are you studying? I'm on the Marjon campus in the PAHC building. It would be great to meet you. My kids are 13 and 11 - still at school obviously. It must be fun going to uni at the same time as your daughter.
still waiting to hear from all but 1 of my choices, Manchester came back yesturday and i was unsucessful, whihc I was expecting anyway.

Just waiting on East London, UEA, Anglia Ruskin (Cambridge), Lincoln & Westminster the suspence is killing me!!

Anyone else become a serial UCAS and email checker lol, i'm checking my emails like 20 times a day lol.

So jealous of those of you who have heard back already and congrats to those with offers
Reply 68
sweetnesspink

Edinburgh, Edinburgh Napier, Glasgow and Stirling. I'm have unconditionals for all but Edinburgh... I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Everyone tells me I should pick Glasgow or edinburgh (if I get in) because they are the 'best' ad most prestigious but being older (and perhaps wiser!) I know this isn't the most important thing, Stirling is my number one at the moment (gut choice... always follow your instinct!).

Nice to meet you all!

I'll see you at Stirling Lauren, I've a conditional to study English there - but I'll be slightly older than you at 40!
Fab!! Well I'm almost 100% percent sure I'm going with Stirling so I'll see you there!
Reply 70
Nat$
im sure you will be fine. when im in a stiuation like that i jus act like the person they want you to be.

i really want to go to brookes. hope they give me an offer.

good luck!

Thanks!

Brookes would be my first choice too.

Fingers crossed we both get offers :smile:
Reply 71
spinningjackie
What are you studying? I'm on the Marjon campus in the PAHC building. It would be great to meet you. My kids are 13 and 11 - still at school obviously. It must be fun going to uni at the same time as your daughter.

Hi
I'm studying for a BA in Working with Children and Young People.
I did suggest to my daughter (not too seriously!) that we went to the same Uni but she wasn't at all keen. Can't understand why. At least she can't ask me for money as I won't have any either.
I know at some Unis there are special SU events for mature students but I'm not sure about Marjon. Do you live in the area already?
Reply 72
Hi,

-LLB at UWE!

I applied at the end of the ucas extended deadline (22nd Jan) and am pleased to say that i have been accepted with an unconditional offer on 1st Feb. I honestly can't believe it as i was really just testing the water and hoping at best for an interview!

I'll be 28 by the end of this month, last year I decided I really want to study law and started exploring my options, including looking into an access course. I wanted to explore UWE as an option as its Law School has a good reputation and is fairly near my house (which i foolishly bought 2 years ago so am a little restricted by). I visited and came away feeling more confident and reassured about considering uni as a mature student. I've got rubbish a levels from yrs ago and wasn't interested in HE until recently.
I chatted to a tutor in the law school and she gave me the confidence to apply without pursuing an access course -which would have cost me nearly £2k and an extra year, so i'm really glad i went!

I am so pleased that it is a real possibility now and would like to encourage anyone considering applying or waiting for offers that there's every chance yet, since i seriously did not think i would have this opportunity a year ago!!!!

Good luck everyone.

Also, anyone else preparing to start the LLB or UWE, er, or both??!
Reply 73
Renegade82
Hi,

-LLB at UWE!

I applied at the end of the ucas extended deadline (22nd Jan) and am pleased to say that i have been accepted with an unconditional offer on 1st Feb. I honestly can't believe it as i was really just testing the water and hoping at best for an interview!

I'll be 28 by the end of this month, last year I decided I really want to study law and started exploring my options, including looking into an access course. I wanted to explore UWE as an option as its Law School has a good reputation and is fairly near my house (which i foolishly bought 2 years ago so am a little restricted by). I visited and came away feeling more confident and reassured about considering uni as a mature student. I've got rubbish a levels from yrs ago and wasn't interested in HE until recently.
I chatted to a tutor in the law school and she gave me the confidence to apply without pursuing an access course -which would have cost me nearly £2k and an extra year, so i'm really glad i went!

I am so pleased that it is a real possibility now and would like to encourage anyone considering applying or waiting for offers that there's every chance yet, since i seriously did not think i would have this opportunity a year ago!!!!

Good luck everyone.

WOW :eek: just massive congratulations :thumbsup:
sweetnesspink

Nice to meet you all!

Where is right for you is more important than anything else. My cousin went to Stirling and he loved it, he also has an amazing job now working for Reuters and goes all over the world. I would kill to be his assistant!

I've only ever been to Stirling once, we were on holiday in Scotland in my teens. My only memory is stopping to buy shoes for my baby brother and getting chatted up by a very cute guy who worked in the shoe shop. My flirtation was soon destroyed by my Dad who informed him we were staying near Loch Lomond and I was going back to England the next week anyway. I was soooo embarrassed.:eek:
Reply 75
Renegade82
Hi,

-LLB at UWE!

Good luck everyone.

Hey, i've applied for the LLB at the UCAS deadline but haven't heard anything yet - not really surprised!

I am on an access course in social science and humantities and want to go move back to London so have applied to Westminster, London Met, City, QMUL (But they only accept ten mature students a year so I'm not holding my breath but I REALLY want to go there!) and Oxford Brookes just in case I change my mind. Westminster told my tutor when she phoned that they had so many applications from A Level students that they have the right not to accept Access which is a bit rubbish.

Some people on my current course have had offers but they are for less competitive courses.

Well, keeping my fingers crossed, its my 28th birthday tomorrow so hopefully I'll have some birthday luck!

Lauren :smile:
nonnibear
Westminster told my tutor when she phoned that they had so many applications from A Level students that they have the right not to accept Access which is a bit rubbish.

Discriminatory, rather than 'rubbish', I'd say. :lolwut: They shouldn't be allowed to relegate access students to the bottom of the heap; if you're doing a qualification that's equal to A-levels then you should be considered just as equally.
I've just got an Unconditional to Durham! I am so made up, I keep logging into track to check I've read it right and it does not really say unsuccessful! I was practically hyperventilating when I told my Dad.

Off to stroke my offer and whisper sweet nothings in its ear :biggrin:
heidigirl
Discriminatory, rather than 'rubbish', I'd say. :lolwut: They shouldn't be allowed to relegate access students to the bottom of the heap; if you're doing a qualification that's equal to A-levels then you should be considered just as equally.

It is a stupid decision to blanket reject a group of people based on them doing access, Liverpool John Moores did the same to my access group. It is their loss though as my group got offers to Durham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester and Southampton, among others. So if we are good enough for the top Uni's then what is the problem??
Reply 79
RosiePeriwinkle
I've just got an Unconditional to Durham! I am so made up, I keep logging into track to check I've read it right and it does not really say unsuccessful! I was practically hyperventilating when I told my Dad.

Off to stroke my offer and whisper sweet nothings in its ear :biggrin:

Ha, this made me laugh. I have heard from Nottingham today, they want a 1500 word essay to "support my application" before the 19th
I feel a bit sick! but excited cos it means I am being considered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending